Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Space Cossacks Tsar Wars Turns 15!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Noel wrote:

I wasn't clear. I can't get the same tones from the Jazzmaster that I hear on those songs. Different strings and amps are obviously components of the difference.

Ivan makes a Strat sound like a Stradivarius, us mortals have little chance of the same exactly gear/amp/strings sound like Ivan made it sound.

Tip on the Cossacks sound, dial off some of the lows, keep the tone up high. You can get really deep sounds out of the Jazzmaster through a Fender amp that will really sound more like what Ivan does with the Madeira but with the Space Cossacks it just isn't as big a tone. But if you listen carefully, it isn't particularly clean either. So push the amp, keep the tone up, roll off some of the lows on the amp.

I'm not making a prediction here, but I'm guessing Ivan would favor the middle position pickup selection(as it would mimic a strat more). You definitely do hear him on the bridge pickup at times, but that middle position does have a tone of its own. Anyways... I just listened to them real quick on youtube on my shitty laptop speakers and that is what I heard...

I also think I know how Ivan holds a pick... at times at least. The touch one quite a few of his songs just sounds like he is kind of using the edge of the pick quite a bit. That is what I do if I want to sound really smooth and Ivan is a very smooth player. You don't literally hold it side ways and only use the side, it is kind of an angle inbetween. I can't describe it... it is kind of natural to me.

Thanks, Ivan! I kept the stings that were on it when you sent me the guitar for sentimental reasons. But now I'm definitely going to try the strings you used back then. I expect they'll brighten the tone. And Jake, those are great suggestions. I'll give them a try too!

There's just no getting around that Ivan is a tone-master.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015 08:14:12

What strings are you using now? There are few strings on the planet that Chromes will be brighter than.

JakeDobner wrote:

What strings are you using now? There are few strings on the planet that Chromes will be brighter than.

Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing 12-50 flats (JS112). The ones it came to me wearing.

And I'm sorry about going off-topic.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015 09:43:37

They'll be slightly brighter, and god knows how much brighter because of how old they are!

I've moved the Jazzmaster conversation to its own topic.

We all may now continue to praise Tsar Wars here! Worship

Tsar Wars!
Yes, such a great album. Truly a classic of the modern surf era. When I got Tsar Wars, it was at a time that I was fairly burned out on surf music. I had been playing in a band (Surf Report) for close to 10 years and was struggling to find further inspiration in the genre. I was bringing in all kinds of wild influences into my playing just to keep things interesting for me.

Tsar Wars helped me take a step back and see that a well crafted melody could do more than pummeling through weird chord progressions and complex time signatures. It helped me to overtly simplify my songwriting and focus on interesting melodic ideas that you could sing along to. That, to me, is the real power of Tsar Wars. This is not to say that the songs on Tsar Wars are simple. Far from it. There is some fairly complex stuff going on just like in all of Ivan's work. However, that's not what struck me. It was the strong melodic voice that really moved me.

My favorite track on the album is definitely The Jewel of Duende. To me, that is one of the most well crafted songs to come out of this genre. It is a lesson in how to construct a melody that is interesting and moving. It is way beyond the surf genre. It is just an incredible piece. I loved that song so much that it was a common part of the early Secret Samurai live set. I eventually nixed it from our sets because at the time I felt that it didn't work that well within the 3-piece format. However, I think it would work if I tried it again now as I eventually became much more comfortable leading a trio than I was at the time.

There have been a couple of real highlights in my musical life. One was playing with Laika and the Cosmonauts because of how much I loved that band and cherished those songs. Another was opening for Link Wray due to his historical importance. And one was playing with The Space Cossacks during their most recent reunion a few years ago. I will never forget Ivan dedicating Jewel of Duende to me at that show as he knew how much I loved it. Being able to meet and get to know Ivan a bit was just a great thing after really connecting with his music. He has done much for this genre, both with his songwriting/playing as well as his constant encouragement and promotion of current bands.

Hail Tsar Wars, and hail The Space Cossacks!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

There's a light (or something, not sure) in my bathroom that every once in a while makes a quiet "ting" noise. My brain usually follows it up with the start of Apes of Wrath.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I must get a copy of Tsar Wars! All I have, so far, is Interstellar Stomp and Never Mind The Bolsheviks....

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

At the risk of getting really repetitive, thank you ALL very much again, especially Ryan. I was touched by what you wrote, got a bit emotional reading it, thank you for taking the time to write up all of that. Honestly, all these tributes seem surreal to me - it's the sort of thing I'm used to reading about somebody else, never thinking it could be about my bandmates and me. I still can't really process that we've had this impact on such wonderful musicians, many of whom are friends and whose own talents I greatly respect. I'm very grateful again to Jake for starting this in the first place and to all who have written here, this has meant the world to me.

All these nice things people have been writing got me a bit nostalgic and thinking back to that '98-'00 period, so I hope you don't mind if I share my memories of those years.

WARNING: EPICLY LONG POST AHEAD - I really got carried away - SORRY!

My memory is that the first time I held a Tsar Wars CD in my hands was when we did a 3-date California 'tour' in late March of '00. We were invited to play the Rendezvous Ballroom Reunion show with DD, the Chantays, the Belairs, the Lively Ones, the Nocturnes, Jon & the Nightriders, and the Eliminators (what a lineup!!!) at the Galaxy Concert Theater in Santa Ana, CA (I believe we were invited by John Blair himself), to which we said "ABSOLUTELY!" That show was on a Sunday, so we also played two other shows: Friday at the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach with Jon & the Nightriders, Slacktone, and Pollo del Mar, and Saturday at the Tiki House in San Diego with Pollo del Mar. Both of those shows were a BLAST! But I'm not sure if we had the CDs for sale at those two shows - I don't think we did, as the first memory I have of us selling the new CDs was at Sunday's big show, having FINALLY just arrived from the pressing plant to Art B.'s house on Saturday after we had to leave for San Diego, if I remember correctly. And though there were something like a 1000 people there at the big show, my memory was that we sold fewer than 10 copies! Boy, that was a big disappointment. We had been toiling away on this album for the better part of two years, and we thought we had something really special on our hands and were so excited to finally have it available for people - and then almost nobody bought it! Doh!!! Suicide Well, honestly, we didn't really play that great that day. We were rusty, not having played live in nearly a year and a half before that weekend's shows, so maybe it's not surprising that people weren't interested in buying the CD! Smile But it was an amazing day nonetheless, and a huge honor to be invited - if you're reading this, HUGE thanks, John! (We only played one more show after that weekend - in Arlington, VA in July of '00, and that was it until the reunion shows of 2010.)

Tsar Wars was a bit of a Frankenstein as half of it was recorded in August of '98, shortly before I moved to Indianapolis from Washington, DC, and the other half the following summer, a year later. The songs recorded in '98 were: the three covers ("The Crusher", "Cossack Rocket Patrol", "Space Race"), "The Defector", "Departure", "The Jewel of Duende", "Fiesta del Cossacapulco", and "Escape from Gulag 17". It was only a few weeks after we had returned from our 2-week West Coast tour, and I remember being kinda burned out on loud, fast music - thus "The Jewel of Duende" and "Cossacapulco". We had been practicing these songs for a few months in '98 - basically as soon as Interstellar Stomp was out in '98, we were already working on the next batch of songs. Those two years, '96-'98, were just crazy, we were gigging and writing and recording new material constantly. Anyway, the atmosphere in the studio for that first session was phenomenal, the best of any recording session the Cossacks ever had. Somebody actually shot some home video footage of us in the studio (I think Mark's then-girlfriend, now-wife). I think I still have that tape. I should get it transferred and posted on YouTube. Lots of cool stuff on there, such as us recording all the whooping and yelling for "Cossacapulco", which is pretty funny.

And after that I was off to Indiana. For the next year, I worked very hard on the remaining seven songs for the album and I flew (or did I drive? I don't remember) back to DC a couple of times so we could practice them. Several of the songs were written by people outside of the group - Art gave me a tape with him singing the melodies (a la Joe Meek Smile ) to two songs, and asked me if I could do something with them. Those two songs became "Exolumina" and "Sea of Tranquility". Jim Frias of the Nocturnes also sent me a tape of a song he was working on titled "Beyond the Third Star", and asked us if we'd want to record it, to which we said, "YES, PLEASE!" Jim wrote a great song, and "Third Star to the Left" was a huge song for us (which is why it opened the Interstellar Stomp album), so to have the 'sequel' to it was pretty special. I worked pretty hard on those three songs, as well as Catherine's "Tradewinds", arranging them and adding parts here and there. I was also working on the title track, but it didn't have a bridge, and it definitely seemed incomplete. During one of the band practices, Mark played me a chord progression that he thought sounded "Cossack-y", and asked me if I could do something with it, turn it into a song. A light bulb went off, and I asked him, 'how about if we use that as the bridge to "Tsar Wars"'? He said let's try it, and it was freakin' perfect! He also brought in "Tsunami Tsurprise", and I think he had the whole song completely worked out on his demo, I think I just copied his lead. I also brought in "The Apes of Wrath", and those were the seven songs that remained to be recorded.

When the time finally came to record, I drove to DC with all my gear. We had the final practice the night before going to the studio, but unfortunately Mark and I got into some sort of an argument (I don't even remember about what), and he got so mad at me he refused to come to the studio the next day. That was a huge bummer and pretty demoralizing. But we had to finish recording the album, it was now or never, so we just got on with it. The atmosphere in the studio was not nearly as good as it was the year before, not surprisingly. But despite that, Catherine and Doug played INCREDIBLY well, I was really blown away, I do remember that. We were recording as a three-piece and I added the rhythm guitar afterwards. That's the way all of Friday went. I remember recording "Exolumina" and the song "Tsar Wars", and I had some ideas for backwards effects, which were still somewhat in flux (the ideas, that is). So, Bruce the engineer and I started working on it, and it was laborious and time consuming, since we were recording on 2" tape, 24-track deck - so, the tapes had to be physically flipped over to do this, and they're big and heavy. Also, played forward the parts sounded pretty bland, and Catherine and Doug thought I had lost my mind and was wasting expensive studio time! They went off to get some food, a bit miffed, and by the time they got back Bruce and I had done all the "Tsar Wars" effects in the middle of the song. Bruce flipped the tape the right way to play the whole song, and I remember Catherine's and Doug's frowns magically disappearing! Doug in particular had this expression of pure revelation on his face! That was a good moment. Smile After much pleading by Art, Mark did finally agree to come in on Saturday or Sunday (I forget) to record "Tsunami Tsurprise" and "Tradewinds", so that was good, but it was still tense. And as if all that weren't enough, I remember the last song we were recording was "Sea of Tranquility", and as we were recording Bruce the engineer's health was rapidly deteriorating! We could see him turning white before our very eyes! In between takes he'd say, "I've got 30 minutes left in me." "15 minutes", etc. No pressure! And I still had to add the rhythm guitar! I don't know how we finished it, since we really weren't very comfortable with the song as we were recording it, but we somehow pulled it off. We packed up and I drove home the following day - a nice 10-hour drive. I was pretty tired after that.

I don't remember how long before we all saw each other again, could have been a while. I think I went back for the mixing some months later (though not before we had Jim Frias record a sax part on "Beyond the Third Star" in SoCal under the supervision of John Blair). As I was listening to the rough mixes of all 15 songs and working on the song order, I came up with a little narrative to tie them all together. And then it occurred to me that maybe I could have my college buddy Jamie Miles write a novella to go along with the music! He is an incredibly smart guy and deeply into creative writing, and he lived just 30-40 miles from Indy, so I contacted him and floated the idea by him, and he said yes! Unbelievable. He'd send me the drafts of each chapter, and I absolutely loved them! That was very exciting. We got the amazing Steve Blickenstaff to add illustrations for each chapter, too, which was another coup. We got the title from Larry "Moon Dawg" White, which was really cool and funny! Things were really coming together!

Finally, after getting the final master of the music from Bruce, it was time to put the whole thing together. I found a company in Indianapolis that did hi-tech media, and they combined it all and designed the entire interface - but they somehow added extra two second breaks between all the songs, which disrupted many of the segue ways between songs. And they didn't know how to fix it! So, after several tense days, they finally figured out how to correct it and the enhanced CD was ready to be manufactured in early '00 - only to have 10 people buy it the first time we had it for sale at that huge show! Once again - DOH!

That's the story of Tsar Wars, folks! At least from my perspective and my memory, which is certainly not to be trusted entirely! An interesting post-script: in '98, shortly before I moved to Indy, Art introduced me to this girl from Philadelphia that he was dating, and I thought she was pretty amazing, and told him so. They broke up some time later, but in January of '00 I got an email from her, telling me that she heard the rough version of Tsar Wars from Art some 6 months earlier, really loved it and was wondering when it was coming out. We immediately started emailing back and forth a LOT, then talking on the phone late into the night, then visiting each other, and by that June we were engaged. That girl is Christina, and we've been married for nearly 14 years now - all because of "Tsar Wars". In 2000 I also moved to Michigan, started the job that I still hold, and bought my house. And following a trip to London in May of 2000 to attend Bruce Welch's Shadowmania and see Hank Marvin in concert, my dad and I started our Shadows tribute band the Troubadours. That's also when I first started playing with Dane. Yep, that was a pretty good period of time.

I hope some of you found my ramblings at all interesting and I'm very sorry to make it so long! But I thought it would be nice to tell the story of the album. Thanks all very much again!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Apr 02, 2015 11:18:19

I greatly enjoyed reading this, Ivan! You filled in a lot of gaps for me. The last thing I could have done before or as I wrote my review was to pepper you with questions about Tsar Wars. You would have definitely become suspicious. Scant information was available online about the album, so I just let the music inspire me. Music tells me stories, and Tsar Wars tells a wonderful one. Which leads to...

Now that so much new information has surfaced, I'm fascinated by the novella. I've never seen it, and the first hints to me of its contents came during these most-recent discussions. I dearly want a copy if there is any way to acquire one. But I'd happily settle for reading a borrowed copy or an online version if either is possible.

I never cease to be amazed by how life turns out. I met my wife in DC in 1988, when I was sent to the wrong training class by mistake. We initially lived six hours apart, and burned up a lot of gas and phone lines. So you can imagine how much I smiled as read of you and Christina.

Those were very good times!

Last edited: Apr 02, 2015 08:12:10

Well... that was pretty epic.

Thanks buddy!

Thanks for taking the time to share that Ivan.
I always love to hear what went into making a record and the artist's feelings/impressions while creating the music.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

IvanP wrote:

we also played two other shows: Friday at the Pitcher House in Hermosa Beach with Jon & the Nightriders, Slacktone, and Pollo del Mar, and Saturday at the Tiki House in San Diego with Pollo del Mar. Both of those shows were a BLAST! But I'm not sure if we had the CDs for sale at those two shows -

You most definitely had them at the Pitcher House, because that's where I got my autographed copy -

A truly epic night.... jaw-dropping performances by all! I think that outside of the SG101 conventions I have never seen that much top shelf talent crammed into one show. (I also got Jon & the Nightriders to sign my vinyl "Live at the Whisky" !!!)

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

That was really cool Ivan. I have heard most of that off and on over the years, but I never knew that about how you and Christina met!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Ivan, just curious....what was the difference in print runs of the purple vs. white vinyl?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Let's also not forget this live TWO-CD set from the Rendezvous Ballroom Reunion Concert in 2000. All the bands for that event were captured live: Nocturnes, Space Cossacks, Eliminators, Jon & The Nightriders, Belairs, Lively Ones, Chantays, and Dick Dale (first and only time I produced a recording by the King). Having the Space Cossacks here for this event was a major coup (captured here are "Solaris Stomp," "Beyond The Third Star," and "Apes of Wrath"). I believe this was/is only available directly from the Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum. Jeff BTD can tell us if copies still exist.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Apr 02, 2015 12:07:36

Thanks very much, Noel, Jeff, Jake and Brian! I'm very glad that you enjoyed that ridiculously long post. Smile John, thanks also for posting the above info about that double CD. I suspect most people don't even know that album exists.

Noel wrote:

Now that so much new information has surfaced, I'm fascinated by the novella. I've never seen it, and the first hints to me of its contents came during these most-recent discussions. I dearly want a copy if there is any way to acquire one. But I'd happily settle for reading a borrowed copy or an online version if either is possible.

Noel, the novella was only available on the Tsar Wars CD itself - it was an 'enhanced' CD with both music AND the novella, along with all of Blickenstaff's artwork incorporated into the novella text, and also a bunch of band photos and possibly some other stuff, I haven't looked at it in many years. The last time I tried to open it in my computer a few years ago, it wouldn't read that part of the CD - I guess it's not compatible with the newer version of Windows. Sad I talked to Jamie in the last couple of years about putting the whole thing online, but we haven't gotten around to it yet. We really should, though we don't know where we'd put it. Any suggestions?

remora1 wrote:

You most definitely had them at the Pitcher House, because that's where I got my autographed copy -

A-ha!! That settles that, then! Thanks!

JONPAUL wrote:

Ivan, just curious....what was the difference in print runs of the purple vs. white vinyl?

Jonpaul, I couldn't even begin to guess. I'm not sure if I ever knew. Art was in charge of all of that, maybe I'll email him and ask him to respond here. BTW, there was a bit of a tragic postscript to this whole story, too: I think Art was living in Pasadena in the early '00s, storing the MuSick CD and LP stock in the garage. There was a flash flood of some kind that destroyed a big chunk of the stock, including most of his remaining Tsar Wars CDs (though the vinyl survived). I think his initial run of the CD may have been a 1000, so there are substantially fewer than a 1000 of those CDs out there now.

I just dug out the VHS tape of us in studio in August of '98, recording Tsar Wars and watched it (yes, I still have an operational VCR player!). Man, I hadn't seen that in many, many years, at least 10, possibly longer, and it was such a joy to see it again! (Well, less of a joy to see my haircut and tucked-in t-shirt - what a nerd! Rolling Eyes ) It's 33 minutes long, and good quality - for a 17-year-old VHS tape, anyway. I just called my college's AV dept, and they said they can transfer it to digital, so I'll have them do that tomorrow and see about posting it on YouTube after that. Stay tuned!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Apr 02, 2015 13:33:10

Ivan, I'm sure not to be alone in sincere appreciation if you could put the novella online. I'm sure someone here with a lot more knowledge of the cloud can suggest storage options.

Really looking forward to seeing the 2010 show, too.

Thank you!!!!!!!!

John wrote:

Let's also not forget this live TWO-CD set from the Rendezvous Ballroom Reunion Concert in 2000. All the bands for that event were captured live: Nocturnes, Space Cossacks, Eliminators, Jon & The Nightriders, Belairs, Lively Ones, Chantays, and Dick Dale (first and only time I produced a recording by the King). Having the Space Cossacks here for this event was a major coup (captured here are "Solaris Stomp," "Beyond The Third Star," and "Apes of Wrath"). I believe this was/is only available directly from the Huntington Beach International Surfing Museum. Jeff BTD can tell us if copies still exist.

John, All,
I'm pretty sure the last few copies of the Rendevous Ballroom Reunion
Cds sold out last summer.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next