Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Space Cossacks Tsar Wars Turns 15!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

JakeDobner wrote:

IvanP wrote:

but I do have great hope the '98 live recording will see the official light of day at some point, and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Does Art own the tapes? If so/If not....

Crowdfund it! Especially if Art doesn't own the tapes, just set a $2000 goal to cover the pressing of $500 and everything after that is profit!

I'm not biased...

I'm in!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

JakeDobner wrote:

Does Art own the tapes?

He does.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Congratulations to Ivan, Catherine, Doug and Mark! All of their albums are great!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

JakeDobner wrote:

Sandstorm turns 10 this year as well!

See this...

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

And here's a counterpoint - just to remind us all of the utter crap that we had to endure at the same time as this iconic album....

http://www.vogue.com/13005155/britney-spears-oops-i-did-it-again-best-music-video-looks/

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

It used to belong to Ivan Pongracic, and he played it to record some parts on Tsar Wars

I wounder , what songs were recorded with the JazzMaster?

Mark2Bra wrote:

It used to belong to Ivan Pongracic, and he played it to record some parts on Tsar Wars

That was a topic of some earlier discussions. Unless Ivan answers first, I'll look it up (I don't remember of the top of my head right now.) and get back to you.

Noel wrote:

Noel wrote:

Mark2Bra wrote:

That was a topic of some earlier discussions. Unless Ivan answers first, I'll look it up (I don't remember of the top of my head right now.) and get back to you.

Here's what Ivan told me:

"Interstellar Stomp:
Solaris Stomp, Black Sand, The Spy Satellite, Gunmetal Express, parts of Moroccan Adventures

Tsar Wars:
Tsunami Tsurprise, The Defector, Fiesta Del Cossacapulco"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015 17:07:47

Noel is correct! Those are the Jazzmaster songs.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thank you Noel and Ivan.

Ivan , you and the former band created a wonderful album, one of my favorites.
Exolumina simply blows be away every time I listen to it.

To me that is what Surf music is about - clean , energetic and twangy.

P.S
Any chance the JM was used in "Never Mind the Bolsheviks" album? (Solaris Stomp , or Red Sunrise maybe?)

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015 13:12:29

Bump, while the banner is still up.

Mark2Bra wrote:

Ivan , you and the former band created a wonderful album, one of my favorites. Exolumina simply blows be away every time I listen to it.
To me that is what Surf music is about - clean , energetic and twangy.

Thank you very much, Mark!

Any chance the JM was used in "Never Mind the Bolsheviks" album? (Solaris Stomp , or Red Sunrise maybe?)

Never Mind the Bolsheviks is a compilation album, and most of the tracks on there come from the first two albums, though there are also some extra tracks from EPs and comps, as well as a few previously unreleased and live tracks. I used the JM on tracks listed by Noel above, but no others (I always played Red Sunrise with a Strat, but the studio version of Solaris Stomp was done with a JM). Hope that helps.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Noel wrote:

Noel wrote:

Noel wrote:

Mark2Bra wrote:

Here's what Ivan told me:

"Interstellar Stomp:
Black Sand, The Spy Satellite, Gunmetal Express, parts of Moroccan Adventures

Tsar Wars:
Tsunami Tsurprise, The Defector, Fiesta Del Cossacapulco"

Oops, I just noticed that you don't have Solaris Stomp listed for Interstellar Stomp, Noel - I used the JM on that one, too.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Oops, I just noticed that you don't have Solaris Stomp listed for Interstellar Stomp, Noel - I used the JM on that one, too.

Thanks for the correction, Ivan! And I'll update the song list for future reference. I love how that guitar sounds, but honestly, I can't make it sound like you did on those records. Wish I could.

I just thought to ask, I still have the same strings on it you sent it to me with. Were those Thomastik's on it when you recorded these albums?

EDIT: You may have told me at the beginning of my relationship with this guitar when you put on those strings, but I can't remember what you said or find the communication.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015 17:26:31

Noel wrote:

Thanks for the correction, Ivan! And I'll update the song list for future reference. I love how that guitar sounds, but honestly, I can't make it sound like you did on those records. Wish I could.

Well, we all sound like ourselves no matter how hard we may try to sound like somebody else! I'm often frustrated I can't sound just like Hank or Dick - though I keep trying to get closer!

I just thought to ask, I still have the same strings on it you sent it to me with. Were those Thomastik's on it when you recorded these albums?

Nope, I used D'Addario Chromes flats (12-gauge) on that guitar for the entire Cossacks period.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015 17:38:53

IvanP wrote:

Well, we all sound like ourselves no matter how hard we may try to sound like somebody else! I'm often frustrated I can't sound just like Hank or Dick - though I keep trying to get closer!

While I'm a huge fan of Hank and Dick. I'm happy to have you keep sounding like Ivan!

Johnny Marr often said of Smiths songs "I was trying to rip off __" and, obviously, he couldn't have been farther off the mark. He is either the worst guitarist ever or a genius.

Right, Jake, that seems to often be the story for musicians!

Surf_Skater wrote:

While I'm a huge fan of Hank and Dick. I'm happy to have you keep sounding like Ivan!

Smile Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY happy to have my own sound (well, some times more than others...), but it would be nice to also be able to EXACTLY sound like those two guys on occasion, too! Very Happy

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

IvanP wrote:

Noel wrote:

Nope, I used D'Addario Chromes flats (12-gauge) on that guitar for the entire Cossacks period.

I wasn't clear. I can't get the same tones from the Jazzmaster that I hear on those songs. Different strings and amps are obviously components of the difference. And this: Alex once spent some time proving to me how different the same note or chord sounds when played in exactly the same place using different fingers. That was a revelation! That, and Alex is a genius.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015 19:52:30

(I always played Red Sunrise with a Strat, but the studio version of Solaris Stomp was done with a JM). Hope that helps.

Actually that helped a lot!

Cheers,
Mark.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015 10:28:56

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next