PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
127 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
12 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Mariners 50th Anniversary recording project underway

Page 1 of 1

Yes, 50th Anniversary... Shock

Fellow TB-er Tone Boy (Ron Ryan) and I formed The Mariners in 1964 back when we were high school classmates. We were always an instrumental rock/surf band except for a very short period in the late 60's when we had a vocalist in an attempt to make more money for college tuition.

Then the Vietnam War intervened and the two guitarists and the bassist entered the military - Army, Air Force and Navy, respectively. By the time we reentered civilian life we had lost contact with Robert, our drummer.

Then came marriage, families and my relocation away from Murfreesboro,Tennessee where the band was (and still is) based. To make a long story short, the remaining band members reunited at our 30th anniversary HS class reunion in 1996 where we played a set and have played continuously since then. We recorded our first album "Wrong Planet! in 2000 and our second "Demon Surf!" in 2012.

Due to a scarcity of local instro-friendly venues for old geezers (and Martha, our female drummer), coupled with job and logistic issues, we ceased doing live gigs a few years back. But we still get together to work on new original material. Tone Boy is our main songwriter and with the possible exception of Don Wilson of The Ventures, Ron is the best surf/instro rhythm guitarist I've ever heard, along with being my best friend.

The working title of album number three is "Epilogue Five-Zero". Webster's defines epilogue as follows:

"a final section or speech after the main part of a book, play, or musical composition, usually used to bring closure to the work."

So while the band will continue on a casual basis, this will be our final recording. I am working on the preliminary stuff now and just finished the click tracks and am working on recording the scratch tracks for lead, rhythm and bass which will speed up the process of getting the "real" tracks on tape. Tape? yes, we are very Old School. The tape is ADAT digital but the mixing console is analog as is most of the outboard gear. Way less sterile-sounding than all digital. Attached is a studio pic I shot last night.

We are planning a late Spring or early Summer release. This one is less surfy and more LSJ-ish than the two previous releases. We hope you guys will like it!

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014 21:35:02

I'm really looking forward to the new record. Maybe we can hear some of it at the Instro Summit this year?

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Never too old, never too late. Thanks for the inspiration.

Go Jack go!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Congratulations, Jack! Looking forward to hearing the new project.

Bob

Congratulations on 50 years & a new recording. Very inspiring as we come up on a mere 20 years. LOL

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Congratulations! 50 years for a band is amazing! Us old guys understand friendships.

Looking forward to this one too, Jack. Congrats to you guys.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Such a cool history, and next chapter!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I just ordered Wrong Planet! from Deep Eddy Records. When I buy your new record, I'll have all three! Looking forward to it.

Noel wrote:

I just ordered Wrong Planet! from Deep Eddy Records. When I buy your new record, I'll have all three! Looking forward to it.

Thanks, Noel...hope you enjoy it!

We are huge Los Straitjackets and Ventures fans. You'll hear a lot of influence from those two bands in that album.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

WoodyJ wrote:

We are huge Los Straitjackets and Ventures fans. You'll hear a lot of influence from those two bands in that album.

Me too, so I'm sure to love it a lot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014 13:51:09

Page 1 of 1