Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Review: Threesome - "Adriatica"

Page 1 of 1

A bump for anybody, who might have missed this record when it was first released. Honestly I am a bit shocked that this hasn't received more reviews so far, since it is such a fantastic piece of modern surf music. (See some other comments here.)

The current MOAM? tour reminded me of this great CD, which I bought last year when I saw Threesome here in Berlin. I was very impressed (to say the least) and although I try to go to all the surf shows in Berlin I do not always feel compelled to buy a record. This time I did.

In general the music on this album is on the heavier side but rather in terms of playing than in the sound, i.e. the guitars retain a clean sound with reverb most of the time; not that much distortion used as in some other modern surf bands, but played with a lot of power and precision.

It is hard to pick any outstanding tracks from this fine album since there seems to be something new and yet unheard in almost every single song. So instead I will try to explain the main components of Threesome's style through a short "analysis" of three songs:

In "First Wave" we get a actually pretty simple riff after a few introductory chords. The band however then combines this riff with a second one, which is quite complicated rhythmically, and repeats this combination in different variations, which creates enormous tension. Then there is a short breakdown with accentuated chords and a nice little contrasting melody before we got back to even more variations of the main riffs. Need I say that all this is played with high energy and precision?

I honestly don't know the meaning of "Glise 581c", but the song once again shows the band's mastery in variation and rhythmic experiments: This time the main melody appears as a seamless continuation of the rhythm of the introduction. After a short drum break and some interesting bass parts, the song seems to "fall apart" for a moment as the guitar re-enters with chords vibrated to the edge of noise. I just love moments like these, when everything seems to get out of hand but is indeed in total control! We get a (deserved but short) moment of relaxation after that, before the band returns to the main theme, which this time is contrasted with yet another more lyrical part.

"Lull" the closing song of the album could be a reference to the medieval philosopher Raimundus Lullus, but I somehow doubt it. Could be some kind of "Lullaby" though since here Threesome show that besides their ability to "rock out" they also have a great melodic sensibility. Somehow the song reminds me of "Third Stone from the Sun" by Jimi Hendrix (or even more the version Stevie Ray Vaughan played live). Not that there is any substantial link between these songs, but they have the same lyric quality and create a similar impression of floating or hovering for me.

So there you have it: A record which has a lot of energy, shows a great amount of talent in songwriting, variation and has a characteristic sound to it. Honestly how anybody would come up with stuff like this is beyond my imagination. I would be extremly interested in just witnessing the song writing process: All tunes (except "Interstellar Harddrive" by MOAM?) are credited to the whole band rather than a single member, which is probably why the band sounds like no other surf band around and why this (debut!) album is as good as it is.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

simoncoil wrote:

Honestly how anybody would come up with stuff like this is beyond my imagination.

Listen to a lot of MoAM? I would imagine. The actually seem to out MoAM? even MoAM? on many songs.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Well, they are of course heavily influenced by MoAM? and would probably be the first to admit that, but never the less I think it would be a little oversimplyfied to see their songwriting as a mere continuation of the Astroman-approach.

Especially with the concert of MoAM? in mind, which I saw a few days ago, I dare to say that the songs by Threesome display a far greater diversity and sense for variation of themes and thus convey a lot more "drama". Songs by MoAM? are much more straight forward or "rather simple" in comparision. Which way is "the better one" is of course a question of personal taste; I like both bands for different reasons.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Page 1 of 1