Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Anyone ever try to play Surf Music on acoustic instruments?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

The Cocktail Preachers do "Miser-Uke" -- yes, Miserlou on the ukelule!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Surfbones wrote:

Ukuleles! Now we're talking. All of these guitarists are awesome, but I really would like to see a very unusual approach - for instance, genres that are not generally associated with certain instruments - surf music on sitars, banjos, bouzoukis, ouds, upright bass, hand drums, etc.

Ahmed Koc w/ Surf Rider
Phil Woods, Iordanis Tsomidis, George Mgrdichian w/ Nica = Exotic, the Zorongo, etc.
Avinesh Singh w/ Misirlou on harmonica
Lata w/ Raat Se Kaho Ruke Jara = Misirlou, Bollywood-style

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 14:21:45

There's sort of a cottage industry, playing Misirlou on the ukulele. Deserves its own thread if it hasn't already got one.

Tuck wrote:

There's sort of a cottage industry, playing Misirlou on the ukulele. Deserves its own thread if it hasn't already got one.

There's hundreds of hits like this on Youtube.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Mar 07, 2013 12:20:45

A few years back we would open with our first set acoustically and use Pipeline as the segue into electric. It was a real crowd pleaser. (Here's a pic of us at a party.)

We stoppped only because we got weary of carrying the extra gear, but we've been working up a new acoustic act to play at certain venues. Most of the music translated very well into an acoustic format. (And the Duo-Tones provided alot of inspiration to push the boundries.)

CUTBACK

Wow, great pic! Submit it to POTD!

Wow, great pic! Submit it to POTD!
+1

I have a green ovation just like the one pictured. It sure is green...

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Really interesting how things work out. After all the recent discussions on SG101 about acoustic surf duos, it turns out I'm going to be involved in one. I've been asked to put together an acoustic set to play at the 2014 East Coast Ventures Fan Fest. Probably music like The Lonely Bull, Mexico, Calcutta, Last Date and so on. I know these aren't surf songs, but others are. I'll be holding down the rhythm section (I hope!). I may need to do this as an acoustic trio because many of these songs, like The Lonely Bull, have two leads and a rhythm part, and I'm nowhere good enough to pull off that kind of guitar playing. This could possibly be part of the All Summer Long project, just without any electric guitars and drums, or entirely separate.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013 14:00:36

See my post immediately above for context. So here's a question. I see everyone play acoustic-electrics plugged into amps. I get the convenience; you don't have to keep the guitar right at a microphone. You also seem to be playing completely dry. Has anyone tried using reverb or tremolo with your acoustic for surf? Or does that sort of spoil the purity of acoustic guitar surf music?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013 15:17:30

I like this (Semi) acoustic version of Cleopatra Stomp by Los Coronas (The regular electric album version is this weeks Wipeout! on North Sea Surf Radio). Cheers, Niels.

Niels Jansen
Program Director
North Sea Surf Radio

To submit your surf music to North Sea Surf Radio send the tracks as .mp3 in 320kbps bitrate with correct tags to playlist@northseasurfradio.com via Dropbox.

North Sea Surf Radio: Website- Facebook - Twitter
North Sea Surf Festival: Website - Facebook - Twitter
The Phantom Four: Website - Facebook - Twitter

Noel, yes reverb,trem and echo.

Green ovation gone, odd PV thinbody now in play.

Noel, I use a Taylor 814ce or Gibson Chet Atkins SST and plug into my regular rig mostly although sometimes I bring my Fishman Loudbox 100 for an acoustic amp. Plugging into the PA works well to for A/E. If you don't have a pickup in your guitar I would suggest adding one. It really simplifies the process.

I use some reverb although less than with a solid body electric. Sometimes a little chorus and delay at well.

Check out the band "The Duo Tones" (Paul Johnson & Gill Orr) for a good take on acoustic surf and standards....all instrumentals.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

I can get one of these for a really good price. It's a left-over, so it's Sea Foam Green, not Lake Placid Blue like in this picture. What say you all for acoustic surf?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013 09:47:19

Fender makes great electrics- but not so well-known for their acoustics, I'm afraid.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Get it Noel. Ferenc got one for the Quiet Surfers, it does fine. You can always upgrade later.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Get it Noel. Ferenc got one for the Quiet Surfers, it does fine. You can always upgrade later.

That's all I needed to know. I put it on hold. I'll have to upgrade my playing a lot before I upgrade this guitar. Thanks!

I was told it was Pelham Blue, but it looks greener than that.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013 11:06:32

Here is a fully acoustic and unamplified guitar duo performance of "Surfarian" by the guitar duo of the Insanitizers. The guitars did not even have piezo pickups or mics inside, and there was no PA system. The melody guitar is enormous, in comparison a dreadnaught size acoustic is diminutive. I carry it in a cello gig bag. The performance was at an art gallery in the Pacific Northwest.

https://myspace.com/insanitizers/video/surfarian/108859933

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013 11:13:36

Thanks, Squid. What is it? I still need to use an amp for the venue this is planned for. But maybe later a loud acoustic-only guitar would be nice. I'm on a tight budget right now.

There are so many reasonably priced A/E guitars on the market today. When plugged in, they can all sound decent. If we knew your budget it may help with recommendations.

The trick in buying one is set up. Is this reasonably priced guitar able to be adjusted to play properly. Bridge height, truss rod adjustment, neck angle and nut are all factors. I would not be swayed by surfy colors but by set up, sound when amplified and playability within your budget.

Look for something with an onboard preamp. This will act as a buffer and sound much better with whatever amp you choose.

Just my thoughts.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

I was in the market for a Telecoustic or a Stratacoustic when I found the Peavey. Used Strat/Telecoustics are going for 150.00 USD. I wanted a thinner body than a standard box.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next