Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Anyone ever try to play Surf Music on acoustic instruments?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

Hammond101 wrote:

There are so many reasonably priced A/E guitars on the market today. When plugged in, they can all sound decent. If we knew your budget it may help with recommendations.

The trick in buying one is set up. Is this reasonably priced guitar able to be adjusted to play properly. Bridge height, truss rod adjustment, neck angle and nut are all factors. I would not be swayed by surfy colors but by set up, sound when amplified and playability within your budget.

Look for something with an onboard preamp. This will act as a buffer and sound much better with whatever amp you choose.

Just my thoughts.

Great advice. The left-over Sonoran I've found is just inside my budget, and has an on-board Fishman pickup with a preamp. Paul is a master at setting up guitars. This one plays real nice. The neck and fingerboard feel very Strat-like and comfortable to me.

This one just happens to be blue, but if it were black, white, red or natural (the other colors) it wouldn't matter.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013 12:53:41

Super! Time to woodshed.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Noel wrote:

Thanks, Squid. What is it? I still need to use an amp for the venue this is planned for. But maybe later a loud acoustic-only guitar would be nice. I'm on a tight budget right now.

It is a goliath size Goya branded C.F. Martin guitar ("Goya part of C.F. Martin"), made in Japan probably in the 1970s. I use it only when venues will not allow amplified guitars. I use phosphor bronze strings on it.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013 19:17:04

Thanks! I found these two links that mention Goliaths. Have you seen them?

http://goyaguitars.tripod.com/t18.htm
http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/45433-levingoliath-acoustic-heaven/

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013 19:56:35

The Levin made Goya guitars were built on Gothenburg Sweeden (perfect deathmetalacousticsurf guitars). I have had a couple of the classical model Goyas and they were fine instruments.

As a side note The Spotniks used custom Levins early on. The guitars had low impeadance pickups. I asked Bob from the band to send me pictures of his (both players still have theirs) but he told me his was apart for restoration. Off Topic

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

That's not off-topic. Actually, it's useful to know because someone here (Preston!) has an old Gibson needing a serious restoration. Do you know who's doing Bob's Levin?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013 08:18:08

It's a DIY job in Sweeden. Those guys (Spotniks) built their own amps, still use them decades later.

Preston is in Austin, pretty sure someone can patch up that ol Gibson in that town.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thegreasemonkeyz

Noel, I bought a Sonoran to use with The Quiet Surfers. Really, I just bought it for its looks, And the Fender style headstock, so I could match the guitar that Danny uses (which is a much more expensive model.) I bought one from Musicians Friend, and as expected, it needed a full set up job- neck adjustment, nut filed. After that it played pretty damn good, and sounded OK. (I wasn't really worried about how it sounded, I have a 30 year old Ovation that I use for recording.)
Within a week, the top split by the bridge, and I sent it back to Musician's Friend, and exchanged it for another. This one needed a set up as well, but not as much. I have used it regularly, and like the sound and its features, including: the built in tuner that mutes the output when you turn it on. It has three effective tone controls. The built in pickup is a bit thin, but does the job. I have been plugging it into my Quilter for gigs, and adding reverb, natch.
So, bottom line, the Sonoran is a great guitar for the price, and a so-so guitar compared to better guitars. But, I have been happy with it.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Thanks, Ferenc! I appreciate it. Good to know the Sonoran sounds decent through your Quilter. That's the amp I'll be using with it. Plus, I like the Strat neck. I actually prefer the Epiphone John Lennon model, but it's not in my budget for a while.

I bought cheaper from Fender a Malibu, actually the Dick Dale model. Initially it looked cheap but it has been now 4 years since I got it and it sounds fantastic. It cannot be compared with a great studio guitar... not for sure, but it is absolutely fun. The Malibu is a better model than the Sonoran and there are different price levels I think.

I remember with I had the pleasure to play with Alex Faide, he asked me to sell him the guitar or order one for him at Fender as he fell in love.
I don't know and probably I don't care how much this count, but honestly my Malibu sounds great. But it took 4 years to sound good. The wood got better.

The pickup is shit if you try to amplify it. Much better with a mic in front, but normally this is a rule for any acoustic instrument to be amplified properly. The pickup is just practical for a live situation.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

I bought cheaper from Fender a Malibu, actually the Dick Dale model. Initially it looked cheap but it has been now 4 years since I got it and it sounds fantastic. It cannot be compared with a great studio guitar... not for sure, but it is absolutely fun. The Malibu is a better model than the Sonoran and there are different price levels I think.

I remember with I had the pleasure to play with Alex Faide, he asked me to sell him the guitar or order one for him at Fender as he fell in love.
I don't know and probably I don't care how much this count, but honestly my Malibu sounds great. But it took 4 years to sound good. The wood got better.

The pickup is shit if you try to amplify it. Much better with a mic in front, but normally this is a rule for any acoustic instrument to be amplified properly. The pickup is just practical for a live situation.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Thanks, Lorenzo!

I really try to support my local guitar store and have (so far) bought all but Ivan's guitar from Paul. A Red Malibu came through last year, but I didn't buy it. Kinda wish I had.

Over here, the laminated top Malibu that is less expensive than the Sonoran and the solid top is more expensive. The Dick Dale is the most expensive of all. If I could find one like yours in my price range, I'd be all over it.

It's good to know these Fenders actually get used for surf music.

Noel wrote:

Thanks, Lorenzo!

I really try to support my local guitar store and have (so far) bought all but Ivan's guitar from Paul. A Red Malibu came through last year, but I didn't buy it. Kinda wish I had.

Over here, the laminated top Malibu that is less expensive than the Sonoran and the solid top is more expensive. The Dick Dale is the most expensive of all. If I could find one like yours in my price range, I'd be all over it.

It's good to know these Fenders actually get used for surf music.

I would not say they are used for surf music Smile but they are fun to me at least. I don't know if the Dick Dale's model comes in different version, not that I remember. The one that Dick has is surely better and custom built. I remember the one I have was in the shop about 550 euros, quite expensive compare to the Sonoran which is normally about 250-300. The Malibu is about 380-400 here. I think it is not better, it looks more crazy with the reversed headstock. I paid mine anyway 350.

(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

... I would not say they are used for surf music...

If you don't play surf music with yours, what do you play with it?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013 21:55:55

Noel wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

... I would not say they are used for surf music...

If you don't play surf music with yours, what do you play with it?

Ha- my guitar has to take surf music Smile this is sure!

(www.surfmusic.net)

I can also get this, same great deal on another left-over, but I'm thinking it probably doesn't really count as an acoustic guitar. And it has jazz humbuckers. Thoughts?

Um, never mind. I like jazz boxes, but not for this project. Nice guitar, though. Needs a Bigsby. Big Grin

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013 22:11:01

I would bet you could land a VERY cool vintage archtop, Noel, for around $300. These two have popped up locally:

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/4061547161.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3989170574.html

And of course, I would be happy to act as a go between if one of these seem like a cool option.

IMO.

Or, if an archtop isn't up your alley...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-Fender-Newporter-/141073856570?pt=Guitar&hash=item20d8a8383a

IMO.

Thanks, Preston. I have this. It has issues but is still playable. It's my first guitar, a 1963 Harmony Archtone 1215. I got it brand new from my dad.

I did think about using it. It would be pretty easy to mount a floating pickup to it and mount the volume and tone controls to the pickguard. But, much like your Gibson, it probably isn't up to serious use until it's repaired.

But again, I'm not sure it's in the spirit of surf music. Flamenco, maybe.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013 22:29:49

Beautiful! Although yeah, for surf you can't beat an old Fender acoustic. The necks are bolt on maple, lacquer'd, just like the old electric necks, and they feel absolutely marvelous. They can also sometimes be had at not much higher prices than the reissues, and the quality is so much better(IMO).

IMO.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next