Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any one happen to know the gear used by the Astronauts and Chantays?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I don't claim to be an expert, but I believe on the cover of The Astronauts' "Everything is A-OK," there was only one Showman and three Bandmasters.

That's just off memory, I'll check the record in a bit.

The Phantomatics on Facebook
The Phantomatics on Instagram
The Phantomatics on Bandcamp

Speaking of Astronaut's gear, our drummer knows Jim Gallagher, the drummer for the Astronauts, and has asked Gallagher about whether he would part with the gold sparkle set. The answer was a polite no, that the set is going to a grandchild. Luckily, our drummer has the same set.

Browsing the web for Astronauts stuff I came across this killer shot of their touring van and gear! Wow!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Yeah and the killer part is that Jim keeps his drum set in the crawl space under his house!!!!!!!!
FF, please give Jessie my warmest regards,
reverbs,
ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Nope, don't believe so. Three single 12 tone ring Showmans and a Bassman. Floating around out here in cyber land is an interview where Jim talks about going to the music store and buying the amps on credit. They were "so proud" of those amps. In the live shots taken at Tulagi's you can see the matching longer Showman amp head cabinets.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Check out this link for the 'nauts. No gear talk but some cool pics and some great background for the youngin's out there that ain't hip to them yet...

http://www.coloradomagazineonline.com/Music/The_Astronauts_Tulagi's/The_Astronauts_Tulagi's.htm

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

"It would be nice if someone could just ask Bob Spickard!"

I'll do that. Bob is a friend and customer of mine. I'll try to get the low down tomorrow and post.

Keep it Drippy Brothers and Sisters!

Eddie - will do!

Re: Pipeline - I asked Bob Spickard at the convention in '09 and he said that Brian's guitar was indeed a Barth, as Kawentzman said. He also told me the bass was a Precision Bass, which threw me for a loop because I've always believed it was that Harmony H-22 bass you see in their early pictures. I don't remember what Bob said about his own guitar (doh) but I'd like to know just what variety of Airline it was. Obviously nobody ever looked back from the Fenders, but I concur that Pipeline is the greatest surf instrumental ever recorded. Since I was old enough to notice, it's been my favorite song and probably always will be.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013 07:29:29

Yes! I found the Pipeline interview, in which they talk about the instruments. The Montgomery Ward looks similar to a Les-Paul-shaped Harmony (as which I remembered it).

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013 00:31:25

Check out the cracked windows on their VW tour bus. Perhaps from exuberant loading. Boy, I miss the natural beauty of Colorado. Must be the Flat Irons in the background? We had Mt. Sopris in our backyard. Hard to keep your eyes on the road while driving.

Twisted Evil > Angel

I spoke with Bob Spickard this morning and discussed the gear used on the Pipeline recording. Amps were 2 blonde Bandmasters and a blonde Bassman at the time. Bob wrote Pipeline on his Barth guitar. Interseting that he mentioned he got the guitar and a Barth amp for his 15th birthday. His dad later told him it was the best $50 he ever spent! Bob still owns the guitar but the amp is long gone. Brian Carmen played his Airline made by Harmony and purchased at Montgomery Wards. The glisses on Pipeline were done on the Airline. Waren Walters played a P bass. The keyboard parts were done on Rob Marshall's Wirly. We didn't discuss Bob Welsh's drum kit.

About the time Pipeline hit some gear upgrades were in order and the Bandmaster were replaced by Showmans even for the bass. Bob bought a '62 Strat that he still owns, Leo Fender signed and now the Custom Shop built him a clone of. Rob got a Rhodes piano and I don't remember what Brian played other than a Strat.

Today the band mostly plays through Quilter combos. Bob owns a Music Man RD75 he giged with for years but it now sits in storage in favor of the smaller lighter Quilter.

Bob is one of the nicest guys I know. Alway willing to talk about the Chantays and whats happening. When I see him at shows, Chantays and others, he alway makes a point to come say hi as does Gil, Ricky & Brian if their around. I have an open invite to jam with that crowd any Tuesday afternoon I wish. Just way cool people. I need to get on that!

The rest of our conversation was of a more personal level so I can't share it here.

H101

Very interesting, thanks, H101! So, those were Fender amps on Pipeline!

Did you ask about the pickguards on the Strats? If Bob had a replica built by Fender, and that's what he uses, then they were indeed black pickguards, judging by the video below. Mea culpa. I had no idea there were black Strat pickguards that early in Fender's history.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I didn't ask that specific question, sorry. Next time. Maybe next Tuesday afternoon at the Newport Beach jam.

fenderfan wrote:

Speaking of Astronaut's gear, our drummer knows Jim Gallagher, the drummer for the Astronauts, and has asked Gallagher about whether he would part with the gold sparkle set. The answer was a polite no, that the set is going to a grandchild. Luckily, our drummer has the same set.

That f'n grandkid better appreciate the historical significance of what he has and not sell it/pawn it when he's early 20s for something stupid...like new pants and a weekend in Vegas

On the eternal pondering of this question and at the risk of re-awakening an old thread, I just can't help wondering if that drippy reverb is partly the result of a bit of treble-boost in front of the tank? (Like maybe from a rangemaster or something?) I have tried my RM cloney pedal (with a slight amount of treble boost dimed in) in front of my home-brewed tank, and it delivers a similar drip edge. I sort of imagine that this sort of thing could be what they used (since the RM was an effect that was around at the time)

Any thoughts on this line of speculation?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

On 2nd thoughts, maybe the rangemaster wasn't available when the astronauts recorded? But could there have been a similar effect?

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

IvanP wrote:

Did you ask about the pickguards on the Strats? If Bob had a replica built by Fender, and that's what he uses, then they were indeed black pickguards, judging by the video below. Mea culpa. I had no idea there were black Strat pickguards that early in Fender's history.

The pickguard in that video is tort, REALLY dark tort. Also, it isn't an exact replica as that guitar has the truss adjustment at the headstock.

I doubt there were effects like that being used, any added drip/difference in tone is likely due to the mics, recording method, amps, guitars. These classic recordings don't necessarily have Fender gear on them, nor are amps being used in all them them. Plugging directly into the board gets some great tone and the drip sounds really great when you do that.

JakeDobner wrote:

I doubt there were effects like that being used, any added drip/difference in tone is likely due to the mics, recording method, amps, guitars. These classic recordings don't necessarily have Fender gear on them, nor are amps being used in all them them. Plugging directly into the board gets some great tone and the drip sounds really great when you do that.

OFF TOPIC

I've wondered about that, guitars plugging directly into the board. I think I heard that Podolor was known to do that. My question is, did the boards have built in compressors, and thus the guitars were compressed in front of the tape? Also, did they plug into mic preamps, and can they have an effect as well?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next