Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
303 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
296 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
257 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
190 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
190 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
177 days ago

dp: dude
158 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
113 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
97 days ago

GDW: showman
48 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink How do you get that Spaghetti Western guitar sound?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I have been working out some Western themed songs, seems to blend good with surf music (as well as Hot Rod and Outer Space themes). I have checked the forums and not much there on it on guitar setting for the sound.

Having a bit of trouble 'nailing' that classic spaghetti western guitar sound (I have Fender Strats and a Squier Jaguar, using a touch of reverb tank, overdrive and short delay). Have come close but not quite, any suggestions would be great

'Surf Music Lasts Forever'

I am no expert. But I heavily associate both fuzz pedals and tremolo with that sound.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

I'd maybe throw in a little baritone guitar in there too. I've been playing with a band that has a western/surf sound. The other guitarist's rig is a Strat and a Hot Rod Deluxe. Ironically though, he used an Ibanez Roadstar and a bunch of studio effects to record with. He's able to pull it off live, but for some reason couldn't get it right for recording. Check out Rifamos on Reverb Central to see what I mean. I'm still experimenting myself to get the right sound.

Either you surf, or you fight.

By listening to Ennio Morricone and learning to write like he does, then you should sound like Spaghetti Western. Morricone uses several styles of guitar, the classic of which I would consider the just breaking up dull thud, but most people seem to think the Fuzz is.

Def not an expert here, but copping the Hellbenders "Have a Good Funeral, My Friend" sound, I use a Fuzz Factory with the drive-off and a Strat in #2 with its volume at about 5. Tank: dwell 6, mix about 4 and tone 9.

This will give you that hi-fi -- bass dropout -- full twang sound... works for me anyway. Fun to try different things and I'm sure there's other ways. Maybe add some wah!

Different strokes..for me reverb dwell on 2-3 Tremolo speed on 8 and intensity on 3...a baritone guitar is a nice addition also

www.northofmalibu.com

I have several Spaghetti Western CDs, Morricone and other composers, and I don't hear very much fuzz guitar in them. The FOR A FEW GUITARS MORE CD has more fuzz, but that is a tribute album and not original SW. Like surf music, there are many different guitar sounds, not one specific sound. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is one of the few (or only) that became a big hit and perhaps defines the genre, I believe played on a Jazzmaster with no tremolo or fuzz, maybe little or no reverb. Yodeling, screaming, grunting, coyote sounds, harmonica and trumpet help.

Stormtiger wrote:

I have several Spaghetti Western CDs, Morricone and other composers, and I don't hear very much fuzz guitar in them. The FOR A FEW GUITARS MORE CD has more fuzz, but that is a tribute album and not original SW. Like surf music, there are many different guitar sounds, not one specific sound. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly is one of the few (or only) that became a big hit and perhaps defines the genre, I believe played on a Jazzmaster with no tremolo or fuzz, maybe little or no reverb. Yodeling, screaming, grunting, coyote sounds, harmonica and trumpet help.

And that is my big problem with the "Spaghetti Western" genre. Nobody seems to listen or pay attention to Morricone.

Jake you're beating a dead horse(apropos given the subject matter). Morricone isn't spaghetti western music, he's the progenitor of a genre that has been inspired by his music, and applied it to the ubiquitous 4 piece guitar led combo. Plus the logistics of doing what you want are damn near impossible. Do you complain when a string quartet takes on an orchestral piece?

There's a difference from what those that refer to themselves as Spaghetti do and those that are "country" or "bluegrass" or other twangy styles. It probably would be enough to be called "western", except that term somehow became a siamese twin to country and doesn't have enough weight on it's own to evoke a defined style anymore. Don't you think?

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

The genre is diverse .
What Mr Morricone wrote for those Italian Westerns is THE BAR by which all in that style will be judged. That said, the genre is much wider than only orchestrated styles.
I just placed a couple of tunes for an op that called for this style..my songs were fairly simple...guitar/baritone/keys bass and drums..more akin to James Wilsey than Ennio.
There are not many that have access to a full orchestra (or would know what to do with one if they did)..The folks writing production music with orchestral samples are another breed...thousands of dollars invested in different programs that are combined to create proper articulation and instrument placement...I would have loved to do something like that but the learning curve is indeed very steep.
It's all good music and of the style...or variations thereof.
For us surf players,,we just want to invoke a feeling of that style which at the end of the day must see it's roots in the music that Ennio diid for thise films.

www.northofmalibu.com

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013 20:02:58

For Spaghetti i only go with my fuzz and echo pedal. I dont chain them together with my tank and instead just use some onboard reverb.

For me personally, the spaghetti western guitar sound is not defined by trem or baritone or actually any lead. It's those intense slicing distorted and heavily trem-barred chords. The Bradipos IV on their version of Titoli(Fistful of Dollars) performed this to perfection. On the latest podcast, the Twin Tones also have mastered this technique, which done right makes the hairs on the back of my neck go up. It's like a cry to the gods!

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013 20:44:03

All good stuff for sure..I like the big productions best myself..wish I could score them..maybe one day Smile

www.northofmalibu.com

For some of the Ennio instros, roll the bass off of yer tone knob!
Ka-TWANGG!

I obtain my favorite spaghetti tone (clean) using my AVRI Jaguar (with flatwounds) using the lo-cut switch and picking near the neck with light use of the trem arm.

Mike

manfromravcon.com

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013 09:02:51

While a creative guitarist can get good Spaghetti Western sounds out of almost anything I find that my vintage Japanese and Italian guitars get me there the fastest.

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

The few Spaghetti Soundtracks that I have the guitar doesn’t seem to be closemiked, but rather captured along with a larger group of instruments.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Wombat wrote:

(I have Fender Strats and a Squier Jaguar, using a touch of reverb tank, overdrive and short delay). Have come close but not quite, any suggestions would be great.

If you don't have heavy flats on that Jag, it could be the missing ingredient.

What we now call Spaghetti Western music is just surf/instro bands doing their own interpretations of music from Spaghetti Westerns, which was a film genre, not music. So fuzz is used more now to mimic trumpet sounds and other sustaining instruments. The actual music in the films is diverse and usually not guitar driven. So current SW is not really the same thing as what you will hear in the films. I believe For A Few Guitars More is exclusively Morricone, he is the only one of those composers whose name has wide recognition and for a good reason.

Stormtiger wrote:

…I believe For A Few Guitars More is exclusively Morricone, he is the only one of those composers whose name has wide recognition and for a good reason.

And MICHEL POLNAREFF:
neither italian nor a western, just the musical genre.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013 13:10:07

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next