Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Bevel Emboss - Celluloid

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Rare Footage of Bevel Emboss Live in Amsterdam

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=387113694704311

1 copy left!

Double-Crown-Records wrote:

I have 4 copies of their CD that I haven't had a chance to add to the website yet. If anyone here needs a copy, the price is $16.75. With our current free shipping offer, it'd be $16.75 anywhere in the world. Just send a Paypal payment to: records@dblcrown.com for $16.75 and include a note saying it's for the Bevel Emboss - Celluloid CD. If they don't sell, I'll add them to the website for general sale in a week or so.

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Sean,

sent you a e-mail,
if you still have it,
I'd like to buy it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Yesterday some amazing tracks at Radio 3 Spain

http://www.rtve.es/m/alacarta/audios/el-sotano/sotano-the-tikiyaki-orchestra-sesion-instrumental-10-12-12/1607498/

Session very much instrumental surf music. In the program you can listen to The Coronas (Hang five, tuning), The Tikiyaki Orchestra (La Hula Rhumba, Aloha baby and Konos revenge), Los Straitjackets (Mr Pink), The Martian Denny Orchestra (The 2000 pound bee part 2) Man or Astro Man? (All systems to go), Bevel Emboss (I like movies) and a selection of surf compilation cuts accompanying the magazine's 20th Continental Magazine. From here we click to Martin Cilia (Futurama), The Ramblin Ambassadors (Calfrobe bridge), The Atomic Blast (The amazing hypno bear), The Dead Rocks (The Curse of Tutankhamun), Los Kahunas (Goofin around you), Ding Dong Devils (The lonely Bultaco), The Surfaders (Dragstrip murder mystery) and Y Niwl (Dauddegpump).

Funny Review from KZSU Stanford:

Your Imaginary Friend
Reviewed 2013-01-07

Searing big guitar south of the border, minor keyed surf twang. Not trite or cute surf. So much of the genre falls into cookie cutter clichés but this veers into the heavy side, avoiding that. Anyone remember The Mermen? This reminds me of them (and they were epic, space-surf, super LOUD). All instrumental, all upbeat, with a certain south of the border feel, or a flamenco upbeat backbeat. Picture Clint Eastwood showing up on the beach, guns down all of Annette Funicello’s doofus friends and carries her off over his shoulder. The best part: This shit is Dutch (!?!), about as far away from the Southwest or SoCal as you can get.

1) (2:07) rhumba rockin!
2) (4:00) driving, crazy trumpet appears, entitled “Arabic” but sounds Spanish, may very well showcase the influence that Arabic immigrants had on mexico, Mexican Spanish, cooking, horsemanship, etc
3) (3:33) ramping up the south of the border tone
4) (3:22) slow, peaceful meander
5) (3:17) funny 60’s rock sitar plays lead, mid paced
6) (3:42) Spanish flare with acoustic guitar
7) (3:29) slower tom tom beat, mindful twangy and pretty
Cool (3:19) upbeat and Mexican sounding with trumpet
9) (3:08) backbeat surf, twang, grab your board
10) (2:23) mellower, guitar melody carries it
11) (3:18) lovely soaring surfing guitar melody, trumpet appears later, spaghetti western boiling over, phone rings in middle and every listener will grope for their cell
12) (3:17) rhumba surf, dark trumpet figures in
13) (3:23) mellower, acoustic guitar strumming, soaring leads, minimal drums, no bass
14) (2:32) upbeat, bouncy fun
15) (3:27) very pretty feel, almost soundtrack’y, pleasant

http://zk.stanford.edu/index.php?s=byAlbumKey&n=1022599&q=15&action=search&session=

Just got my copy in the mail today. Certainly deserves the attention it is getting and the praise. No one ever said it was surf, so no missed expectations here.

The opening 2 tracks, Rumba Nova and Arabic, really grabbed me. They force you to sit up, pay attention and get sucked in. Willing participant here! The rest of the album isn't a rinse/repeat model of those. Solid diversity from start to finish - yet a cohesive (not schizophrenic) body of work.

As commented previously in this thread and the College Charts thread, it's clear these are all choice musicians - it's a top shelf recording and the musicianship & playing may be the bands debut album but clearly not the players first rodeo.

I can't put my finger on what it is... there are just some albums you really like at first listen and wind up loving even more with time. Not sure how or why, but my first impression is this is one of those kind of records. Maybe it is just the diversity and richness to the recording start to finish. 15 quality tracks is a lot to take in with just a few listens.

Looking forward to more "QT" (quality time) with Celluloid.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013 16:16:38

I was definitely impressed at first, but it grows on you really well. There are days when one of the melodies pops in my head and I have to put it on.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

I just heard a few seconds of Arabic on NPR (National Public Radio) this morning!

I really dig this CD!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Last edited: Mar 05, 2013 08:01:39

Brian, i am very curious !
At what time did you here that ?

ldw wrote:

Brian, i am very curious !
At what time did you here that ?

It was on my way to work, so maybe 07:45 my time (GMT-6).

You can see it on the "rundown" here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=3

Wow, it says the next song was by The Atomic Mosquitos! I definitely did not hear that. Our local station must have cut in over that.

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Just got my copy in the mail today. Certainly deserves the attention it is getting and the praise. No one ever said it was surf, so no missed expectations here.

The opening 2 tracks, Rumba Nova and Arabic, really grabbed me. They force you to sit up, pay attention and get sucked in. Willing participant here! The rest of the album isn't a rinse/repeat model of those. Solid diversity from start to finish - yet a cohesive (not schizophrenic) body of work.

As commented previously in this thread and the College Charts thread, it's clear these are all choice musicians - it's a top shelf recording and the musicianship & playing may be the bands debut album but clearly not the players first rodeo.

I can't put my finger on what it is... there are just some albums you really like at first listen and wind up loving even more with time. Not sure how or why, but my first impression is this is one of those kind of records. Maybe it is just the diversity and richness to the recording start to finish. 15 quality tracks is a lot to take in with just a few listens.

Looking forward to more "QT" (quality time) with Celluloid.

I agree with all of this. Great record.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

A review KFJC's Cousin Mary
She picks the most exotic ones as favourites:

http://spidey.kfjc.org/?p=13204

2 tracks on NPR Morning Edition today, how great is that, ouch

It's wonderful and awesome!

I've been playing this CD a LOT for many months now. Many times with my wife around, too, and I generally try not to play too much music around her since she can't quite take as much of it as I can. But on Saturday she asked me to put this CD on her iPod!!! Well, I honestly can't remember the last time that's happened, it's probably been years. So, Bevel Emboss, you get my wife's highly selective thumbs up! NICELY DONE!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I have to agree!! A little while back, I went on a tear grabbing a bunch of music on my "get list" and this was among the releases I bought. It is just magnificent! Really incredible musicianship, nice song choice (with "Rocky Miller" being the sole and consistent skip track for me) with a whole variety of great sounds and approaches to the concept. I really love it, and I'm so glad that Danny posted about it and turned me on to it.

MadScientist wrote:

I have to agree!! A little while back, I went on a tear grabbing a bunch of music on my "get list" and this was among the releases I bought. It is just magnificent! Really incredible musicianship, nice song choice (with "Rocky Miller" being the sole and consistent skip track for me) with a whole variety of great sounds and approaches to the concept. I really love it, and I'm so glad that Danny posted about it and turned me on to it.

That's fun, Rocky Miller is the skiptrack here as well

The Alternate Root Magazine posted a review online a couple of hours ago:

"this is guitar instrumental heaven" Smile
story here:
http://www.thealternateroot.com/rack-3/1165-bevel-and-emboss-celluloid

ldw wrote:

The Alternate Root Magazine posted a review online a couple of hours ago:

"this is guitar instrumental heaven" Smile
story here:
http://www.thealternateroot.com/rack-3/1165-bevel-and-emboss-celluloid

That is a great review.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next