Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink the TakeOffs "Blue Avalanche"

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Ron-Rhoades wrote:

... Now then, would anyone like to buy a CD? Wink

You'll be really very glad you did! I enjoy this record every time I hear it.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

I didn't think twice about turning that wave blue considering the title, in fact I didn't even think about it at all. Anyway, pink and blue looks better than pink and green. I've been to Padre Island and the water was blue then. The CD is not only traditional surf but it is the very best of surf music in my opinion, rich in melody, catchy originals, variety of moods, great arrangements, and fresh approaches to covers. Well done!

Just got this! Looking forward to checking it out!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I've spun this CD a couple of times now, and I gotta say that I like it a lot, and would definitely recommend it to all trad surf fans. The Take Offs have a very clean and melodic sound that even in their more aggressive moments retains a delicate touch that to my ears really captures the spirit of Kauai, a particular relaxed and content attitude reflecting the great beauty surrounding all who live there.

The album has five covers and nine originals (written by the whole band). The covers are uniformly great, in particular the Pyramids' Pressure, Teisco Del Ray's Pier Pressure (EXCELLENT choice of a cover with this one, a true forgotten gem), and Jet Harris'/the Ventures' Diamonds (it sounds like they possibly covered the Ventures version, correct me if I'm wrong, Ron). There's also Only The Young, though I can't figure out from where I know that song - the Ventures? It's a great one, too, a beautiful melodic, slightly melancholy track. The originals are very good, and can stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the above classics, which is a true feat! I particularly enjoyed the title song, Mosquito Bay, Goofy Foot, Gone Surfin' and Scrubbed at Middles, which are all vibrant, uptempo trad-surf melodic rockers! Colin's Wave and Avila feature the more mellow side of the band's writing, and are both gorgeous, with the former being a sunny, optimistic track, the latter being a bit more introspective and darker.

The Take Offs definitely have their own sound, which I think I can best describe as modern-trad, if that makes any sense. (Probably not!) The band is clearly grounded in trad surf and the Ventures, but have a big, clear, modern sound on this album that is in general not super heavy on reverb (though it has its moments!), but does feature a lot of instrumental interaction. A few references possibly are some things by the Eliminators, the two '90s albums by Jon & the Nightriders (Fiberglass Rocket and Moving Target), and some of Paul Johnson's stuff from the past 15 years or so, Tsnumami from Liquid Blues or something along those lines. All instruments have an authentic surf sound, and guitars in particular sound really nice.

This is just a fun, upbeat, good-time trad surf CD that I think would be appreciated by almost all SG101-ers. I very much recommend it! I believe that Double Crown Records carries it, but if not, hopefully Ron will pipe up and instruct how you can get it. It's pretty amazing that four guys that work so well together could find each other on such a small island as Kauai! That's definitely kismet! And it makes me even more bummed out that I didn't get to see them play during my recent visit to Kauai. You guys have GOT to get back that weekly Sheraton gig! Hopefully I'll see you there in the next few years. Until then, keep up the great work!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013 11:23:30

Thank you Noel...
Thank you Doug......
I'm a bit stunned that one of the best guitar players on the planet, in our opinion, would see fit to review it for us here at SG101!! For us, this is a great honor. Thank you so much Ivan. I'll print this and share it with the guys tonight at our show here on Kauai.

The record is available at Double Crown and Deep Eddy or from the band ourselves. Just PM me if you're interested.

WOW!!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

Ron-Rhoades wrote:

I'm a bit stunned that one of the best guitar players on the planet, in our opinion, would see fit to review it for us here at SG101!!

Question You must have me confused with somebody else... Seriously, that's very nice of you to say, though that doesn't seem right to me at all. But I'll be gracious and take the compliment - thank you very much! Smile

For us, this is a great honor. Thank you so much Ivan. I'll print this and share it with the guys tonight at our show here on Kauai.

Great!!

WOW!!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Just writing from the heart! I think your album has undeservedly gone under the radar for most surf music fans, and that's a damn shame, since it's really a great surf album that I think most fans of this genre would very much enjoy. I hope at least a few more give it a shot as a result of my review. And maybe if they enjoy it they'll pipe up and write a few good words about it here, as well. Let's get that word of mouth of going - you guys deserve it!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I'm not sure how under the radar this disc is - it's been one of the best sellers for us over the past year (so good that I'm currently sold out - gotta contact Ron for more!).

Sean
Double Crown Records
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Surf CD's / Vinyl / Fanzines / DVD's
The Desolate Coast - Without A Planet CD
Hipbone Slim aka Sir Bald - Wiggin' Out With CD
Continental Magazine - Issue #36 w/21 Song CD

Double-Crown-Records wrote:

I'm not sure how under the radar this disc is - it's been one of the best sellers for us over the past year (so good that I'm currently sold out - gotta contact Ron for more!).

That's great to hear, Sean! I guess I just haven't seen people discussing it much, but I'm very glad to hear it's sold so well. Hopefully that'll continue.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ron,

What is it gonna take to get the Take Off's over here?
shoot me an e-mail offlist, lets talk.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I got my copy of "Blue Avalanche" several months ago. It is one of "most listened to" CDs,

Goto Page: Previous 1 2