Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What About The Danelectro Hodad?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I'm using Fender 150's (strings).
I tried changing the bar that the strings are attach to, from round to elliptical but then the spring was way too compressed and the tuning was a nightmare. Wish there was a surface mount style that would cover the holes left from the dano type. I'm thinking of kind of a laid-out fender style with all the springs on the top by the tailpiece.

I actually LOVE my Hodad! In fact, I bought two sparkly blue ones because I like them so much. I used one on the recent Gremmies CD for a particular solo that I wanted a spanky tone on, and a DiPinto on everything else. And wouldn't ya know it, the thing that everyone says to me is how much they like the tone of that one solo that i used the Dano on. Laughing

The pickusp are NOT (repeat!) are not humbuckers. They're 2 lipsticks, wired in paralel, so you still get an independant single lipstick tone from them. They're also wired for 2 push/pull switchs: Series/paralel and phase in/out, which gives you crazy amounts of tonal variations. In fact, I liked this setup so much that when I built my custom Surf guitar, I went with the same dual lipstick push/pull configuration.

Since I play in a 3 piece band as the sole guitarist, I don't really have the issue of fighting with another guitarist in the mix. But, I also have the responsibility of having the "main" tone of the band, and with the rig I use, the Hodad sounds fantastic. Cool

The only thing that keeps me from using the Hodads as my main gigging guitars is that they're a 25 scale, and that feels a tad short to me...I'm constantly moving the guitar around on my shoulder to readjust it, because it feels "smaller" than I'm used to. But in the studio, band practice, practice at home, writing, etc I use the Hodads 100% of the time. I love 'em!

"Beer: The cause of--and solution to--all of life's problems" Homer J. Simpson

I had a Hodad for a while when they first came out. Tone was OK, but one thing that drives me nuts is guitars where the pickup selector is under trem arm. I just couldn't get used to it. The same thing happened with a Rickenbacker 480 I owned. For me, I'll stick to Bigsbys on archtops.

Mel

Turnip: The pickups are NOT (repeat!) are not humbuckers. They're 2 lipsticks, wired in parallel...

Hmm...this is news to me. Parallel, huh? Are you sure about this? I think this demands further investigation. I had better get a beer and a screwdriver, in that order.

SSIV

Turnip
I actually LOVE my Hodad! In fact, I bought two sparkly blue ones because I like them so much. I used one on the recent Gremmies CD for a particular solo that I wanted a spanky tone on, and a DiPinto on everything else. And wouldn't ya know it, the thing that everyone says to me is how much they like the tone of that one solo that i used the Dano on. Laughing

What's your opinion on the Dipinto? Is it better built/better feel than the Dano? I have a U2 and it's a nice "cheapo" guitar in it's own right but it feels like the cheapo guitar it is. I'm looking at the Dipinto Mark IV; rave reviews but I wonder how it works for surf tone.

I can't do the Galaxy 4; I refuse to play with a pickup under my pick; I hit/scrape them all the time (that's why I can't love a strat....).

So....how's the Dipinto compared to other low-priced/mid-priced surf guitars...and IS it a "surf guitar"?

g

Well, Los Straitjackets seem to be doing o.k. with them! Laughing

I have the DiPinto Galaxy with the 5 position switch. I personally like it...wide, thin neck, and a very "long" feel to it. When I'm doing fast double picking, I have plenty of room for my right hand to move around. The neck is angled on it, so you can lower those 2 middle pickups way down and you'll never hit them while picking.

Now, here's the thing: I've been fighting with the bridge pickup on mine for like 2 years. I just can't get my sound out of it, and I've tried different caps, different pots, etc. They sound fine clean, but i toss on a little gain for a few solos, and the minute you do that, that bridge pickup squeals like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. And, it's not as easy as just swapping the pickup out, because the string spacing is slightly wider than say, a Strat replacement pickup. I tired that, and I lost my high E string in the mix. So I put the original DiPinto pickup back in.

Now I'm using an EQ in the effects loop of the amp, and that seems to help. Overall, it's a great guitar...never goes out of tune on me live, (and I beat that tremolo like it owes me money) and feels nice and sturdy. So as long as you're not kicking on any distortion or gain, I'd recommend it.

"Beer: The cause of--and solution to--all of life's problems" Homer J. Simpson

I think I will design a new style tremolo, since I am a closet Thomas Edison. I am not satisfied with this one. Also the bridge wiggles when cranking on the tremolo arm. The two threaded posts aren't enough to stabilize it. I know I'm being picky. But I like my Strat for the tremolo and I liked my Mosrite for the sound the neck and the tremolo (wish I had it back). Crying

Hi, Gramps,

The bridge is supposed to wiggle when you crank on the whammy bar....otherwise, you would be breaking strings. Jaguar and Jazzmaster bridges wiggle noticeably, too. On a Strat the whole assembly moves, so it doesn't look like it is wiggling.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Gramps,
I will also mention that on Mosrites, their bridges wiggle a bit when whammy-ing, it's just not as essential, due to the roller bridge.

I wouldn't say that it's 100% ESSENTIAL for a bridge to have a little give, but it sure does help!

~B~

Whats the deal with Dan Electro? I mean, which one did Jimmy Page use? (Apparently Stairway to Heaven solo was his Dano) Is there a top shelf Dano? Also, I saw MOAM (clone) at amoeba records in sf (about 5-6 years ago)and they were using the 180$ model and it sounded awesome, but you cant get to the trussrod. was this the hodad? And finally, I was thinking of getting the 12 string just for shits and giggles...Anybody have one?

I believe Page was rumored to have used a "DC-59" Like is pictured HERE. I swore I saw one of his that was in the bronzed finish, but I could be wrong.

I couldn't say for sure what the $180 model would be... the whole idea of Danelectros was pretty much to make an inexpensive guitar for the masses that would have a distinctive tone. A LOT of their guitars back then were in that price range, and in my experience, I have yet to see a Dano where you can easily get to the truss rod. I own a few (both new and vintage), and my friend's dad has a VERY early Dano bass, which was constructed in the same way.

~B~

I used to have a Supro in 1963 , also an Airline and some Japanese one called a"Blackstone". Then Vietnam and no guitar for years and years, had a band in 1964 called the Royal Sportsman and another called the Delmonts in the ST. Clair Shores Michigan area.(Detroit)
Went back stage in 1988 in Kalamazoo Michigan with Don Wilson, Mel Taylor, Gerry McGee and the rest of the guys even taped an interview with them.
Still playing Surf Music. Do we ever grow up?

I had a Hodad for about a month. I was way excited when I first got it but quickly, and I mean QUICKLY lost favor with it, it would squeal like a damned pig at stage volumes...was absolutely unusable. And, it just didnt sound like a whole lot of anything.

I had two other Dan-O's at the time, one of which I still have (DC-12). No problems with those. The Hodad was a good idea that just plain didnt work.

MikeyK
... it would squeal like a damned pig at stage volumes...was absolutely unusable...

Danelectro lipsticks can be microphonic...so squealing feedback can be an issue...also electrical shorts can sometimes cause noisy-ness and squeals...

-dp

badash
I'm a huge fan of lipstick pickups. I don't have a Hodad so I can't comment on the quality of the current pickups, but I have played and owned many older danos, and am a huge fan of chandler lipstick pickups as well. Yes they have lower output. THAT'S WHY YOU CAN GET TONES OUT OF THEM YOU CAN'T OUT OF OTHER PICKUPS! Do you change the setting on the amp when you go between your Jag and your hodad? Frequency boosters like the new BBE model will change everything! Test drive the BBE Freq Boost. You'll use it for more than just the Hodad. My lipstick equipped guitars through a Fender amp give an absolutely crystaline clear tone with the same if not less hum than my fenders. ...

I was wondering which BBE booster you use for good results? Are you talking the blue full-spectrum Boosta Grande? Or the green high-frequency only 'Freq Boost' pedal? My intuition is that a high-frequency only booster would not mate well to lipsticks, but maybe I don't understand them?

Thanks.

I got a couple Danelectro's.....a guitar and a bass and i really like them both. Fat Dog in Berkeley,Ca. modified my guitar a little bit (brass bridge) and it stays in tune a lot better.
Drawing by John Seaburry of Psychotic Pineapple!

The TakeOffs
"Kauai's Only All-Instrumental Surf Band"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-TakeOffs/312866840587

I saw in a mag that they are coming out with thisnew model. totally awesome!

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I was wondering which BBE booster you use for good results? Are you talking the blue full-spectrum Boosta Grande? Or the green high-frequency only 'Freq Boost' pedal? My intuition is that a high-frequency only booster would not mate well to lipsticks, but maybe I don't understand them?

Thanks.

I was talking about the Boosta Grande. If you are concerned about a treble spike, just use a graphic EQ. That'll boost your gain enough to compensate for the lipsticks, and you can push your mids or bottom if you want.

However, my lipstick guitars (3 at present count) take a treble boost fine! How else would I play "secret agent man" with this? image

Thanks for the info. I will check out the Boosta Grande. Is that a surfcaster? I thought they had much more offset cutaways?

^wr:

those look like the new Danelectro "Pro" with the wacky space-age body...I wish they offered a 3-pickup Bigsby version of that ugly Tangerine one...I'd get it for sure!

-dp

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next