Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What About The Danelectro Hodad?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

I have several guitars and I recently got a nice CIJ Jaguar. Upgraded the pickups to AVRI, got the Mustang bridge saddles, neck shim, a good setup, 13-gauge nickel strings, the works. But this is not a Fender topic. All is well in Fenderland.

I bought this new one to replace, you guessed it, my old Danelectro Hodad. I have had it since the first week it was released. And I have played the heck out of it.

At home, alone with me and my Dano, it is all interesting lo-fi goodness. The thing is, in a combo it just doesn't cut through (I hate to use the term, but nothing else will do). What I mean, is that in the mix it seems indistinct, sorta low-output and, well, boring. Not to mention microphonic as all hell.

But somehow, I have a soft spot for this brown-speckled, red-haired stepchild* of the guitar world. Anyone have ideas on how to maybe improve it? I really haven't fooled with it much except to play it.

Thanks!

*DISCLAMIER: Apologies if you are red-haired, a stepchild, or both! It is just a figure of speech. Sorry.

SSIV

I can't really offer any hodad-saving tips for you but I just wanted to say I feel your pain. The guitar is a cool little thing but it really doesn't cut through the mix at all in a live setting. However... I was playing one at a jam a few months ago when I didn't have any of my own guitars around and I made some good music with it through a nice old Matchless, cranked. You have to play it fast and hard with the right punchiness in order to get it to sound any good at all. No sustain whatsoever, and messing with the controls will just suck your tone some more.
I remember after the jam, the other guitarist (who was playing through a real nice strat with much better technique than myself) came up to me and said "man, I don't know how you made that guitar sound that good. It would have sounded like crap if I'd played it" which is one of the favorite compliments I've received in a while.
Do you have a backup guitar for your gigs? If not, I would consider using the hodad for that. It is light as a feather! My buddy carries his around in a two-guitar gig bag and you can hardly even tell that its there.

I wouldn't be a huge fan of seeing another surf band where the guitarist is playing a Hodad. Unless the music blew me away I wouldn't give the band my time of day.

Your analysis of the Hodad sound is right on. I have one and I use it as a second backup...not even a first one.
I suspect the main culprit are the pickups. Maybe better lipstick ones would improve it. There's also the issue of them being mounted as humbuckers, but I suspect that they are just two pistick singkes wired together.
Ferenc has experience with lipstick pickups, so maybe he can help you find a good brand (of course he told me that in the past, but I alreday forgot).
BTW, I was able to use the Hodad for recording - one a Spaghetti Western sounding intro, and another a more hollow sound with tape echo for a song that I wanted to sound more 50's than 60's.

I say the guitar is worth the $150 (new) that I paid for it, but not much more.

Ran

The Scimitars

I'm a huge fan of lipstick pickups. I don't have a Hodad so I can't comment on the quality of the current pickups, but I have played and owned many older danos, and am a huge fan of chandler lipstick pickups as well. Yes they have lower output. THAT'S WHY YOU CAN GET TONES OUT OF THEM YOU CAN'T OUT OF OTHER PICKUPS! Do you change the setting on the amp when you go between your Jag and your hodad? Frequency boosters like the new BBE model will change everything! Test drive the BBE Freq Boost. You'll use it for more than just the Hodad. My lipstick equipped guitars through a Fender amp give an absolutely crystaline clear tone with the same if not less hum than my fenders. Through something like a marshall with the gain boosted they hum so loud you'd never consider using it, but through a fender type? Pure sonic goodness.

All that matters is the sound that comes out of the amp. I mean c'mon, do you really want those tools who lean against the wall with their arms folded shaking their heads slowly with a pissy look on their face cuz you're not using vintage gear at your show anyway? I once had a little c-word of a guy after a solo acoustic blues set who had the nerve to come up to me in front of some folks who were asking me questions and say "you just called it open G tuning... It's not open G, it's sebastopol. And open D is vestapol..." I extended the guitar to him and said "Really... I don't know open D, can you show me how to tune to it?" You can guess the the rest of the story...

I'm in the same boat with my Hodad. I'll use it as a boochy rhythm guitar, if I'm adding a track like that on a recording, but I think I've got five, maybe six guitars that I'd bring to a show ahead of this one.

I used to be pretty fond of mine, but after playing fenders and especially my Mosrite for a while, when I plugged the Hodad back in, there was just no punch there to cut through the mix. It still plays like buttah, but just doesn't cut the mustard. (sue me, it's ten minutes before my lunch break)

~B~

Thanks for the posts. I am sorta thinking about thinning out the guitars I have but do not use. The Hodad is an obvious choice. But you never know. There were legions of (really good) guitarists who thought the Jazzmaster and Jaguar were absolute dookie (remember the 70s and 80s?). I would be interested if anyone has actually put the Hodad to good use. Keep the ideas coming, I really appreciate any feedback. Except the kind that comes out of my Twin Reverb from the Hodad!

intellitard: That's what I was afraid of.

JakeDobner: I appreciate you telling it like it is. But I wouldn't care if it was a rubber band strung over a cigar box; if it sounded good I would play it.

kick_the_reverb: I will keep other pickups in mind, thanks.

badash: Spending $100 to rescue that guitar may not make sense right now, mostly to my wife and at Christmas. Laughing I must admit that I am intrigued by the Sonic Maximizer, though. Hmm....

SurfBandBill: That's what I was afraid of.

SSIV

I vowed a long time ago not to sell anything (heard too many stories of people regretting selling stuff)...You can probably make good use of the guitar, but I doubt it's in a live combo, other than a trio, maybe. Low volume of the band would help.
How much do you think you'll get for it? Probably not enough to be worth the hassle.

Ran

The Scimitars

kickthe_reverb_
I vowed a long time ago not to sell anything (heard too many stories of people regretting selling stuff)...SNIP!
How much do you think you'll get for it? Probably not enough to be worth the hassle.

Ran

I hear ya! I have a "normal" size closet that is on inside walls where I keep my guitars. As long as they all fit in there, I'm with you and wouldn't part with even my least favored guitar. Problems arise however when two guitars pop up that you have been on the lookout for for years!!! My current dilema... Can you really pass up the guitar you've been searching out for 8 years at a killer price because you just picked up one you've been searching out for 10 years!?!?!? Shocked I couldn't...

re: the Hodad played live and recording...

I have played the heck out of my hodad in both live and recording situations.

at live gigs, i typically play rhythm guitar...when playing the hodad, my Bassman tone is usually set at "6" for bass and "6-7" for treble...and I turn up the volume a bit. other than those settings, I just use the Fender reverb set to about 5-5-5...fairly mild reverberation. the jangle and chime of the danelectro shines through, but the beefy bass tones of the bassman helps support the volume and "cut through" factor a bit. I do not think i would ever depend upon the hodad to be a mean-screamin' out in your face lead machine...but as a vicious rhythm guitar it works great!

i have used the hodad for several recordings: on last year's comp, i recorded the "Bruce Lee" track with the hodad. I used a BlueTube 12AX7 driven preamp and reverb to "beef up" the typically thin danelectro signal.

and then i played all the lead lines backwards-track style...

sounded sweet: eerie, mysterious and "oriental"...

I do agree with others here re: having to "put the muscle" into the hodad in order to get any sort of lead tone out of it. whenever i play "lead" on the hodad i always end up playing like Neil Young or Pete Townshend...ultra-aggressive...but, the hodad takes it and really produces an admirable "YELP!" when you start spankin' it!

regards,
-dp

I was put off the Hodad by the fact that the p/us were set up as humbuckers, because I like the sound of the U2 etc.

Does anyone if the Danos have a wood centre block? E.g. could you fit a bigsby to them (other than the Hodad that already has the trem)?

abdultom_
I was put off the Hodad by the fact that the p/us were set up as humbuckers, because I like the sound of the U2 etc...

The Hodad pickups are dual-coil humbuckers, BUT there is a coiltap push-pull switch that allows for the single coil tones your seek...

Wink -dp

sold my Mosrite ugh! I wish I had it back. Bought a Danelectro Hodad. I kinda like the sound but can't stand the bigsby copy tremolo bar. How do I get more action from it. Any kits out there?

gramps,

I'd try to locate a big fat Bigsby spring on the EBAY...maybe one built for a Gretsch Bigsby setup...just be sure to check your Danelectro spring diametre as well as the original Danelectro spring height.

also, you could always try the hardware store solution...go down to the hardware drawers and find yourself some nice nylon washers of appropriate dimensions and try slipping those into the Danelectro Bigsby spring socket.

i used the nylon-washer-in-the-socket-trick on my Telecaster Bigsby...worked like a charm!

should cost you about $1.79 (including gasoline to get there and back).

regards,
-dp

gramps,

ps: sorry to hear about your Mosrite. Crying

...that empty feeling of loss only gets worse over time, trust me, i know...

-dp

What size strings are you using? I'm not sure the Dano necks are up to the task of 12's for an extended period of time, but I've used the light top/heavy bottom type strings on my Dano U2 and it sounds pretty good and has held up well.

DP, you may be onto something with the spring upgrade idea too. I was having trouble with my Mosrite sounding dead with poor output and sustain. I was also having tuning problems with the Moseley trem. I replaced the spring with a similar sized, but higher tensioned one I found at a hardware store and it solved the tuning problem, plus, made a considerable improvement in the sound quality.

i think i have cheapo GHS Boomers .011s on the Hodad right now...but, i used some Pyramid .012s and Rotosound .012s in the past...the Hodad did fine with those...

I currently have a set of D'addario half-rounds on mine, I think they're 11s, but they do have a little more beef on the bottom than most sets I use.

Either way, it's handling them like a champ.

~B~

D'addario Chromes .011s - they work great!

-Dick

Fender Reissue Cap Mod Site
http://home.comcast.net/~rmessick2/

If I'm not mistaken, mine has D'addario 12-54 on it.

The Scimitars

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next