Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
118 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Surf drumming - my subjective thoughts

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 511 12 Next

I was really impressed by Kevin from The Hypnotic IV when I was in Sacramento 2 years ago. There is nothing like seeing a good drummer live.

That was a good night for drummers: Jeremy from Pollo, Nao from the Surf Coasters, and Kevin. The guitar players weren't bad either. :oops2:

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian
There is nothing like seeing a good drummer live.

too true - I find myself watching the drummer more than anyone else with any band I go see, even if i play guitar myself.
WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Kevin from H4 was the MAN. I absolutely loved seeing him play (not to mention that he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met). He came from a strong jazz background, but was also one of the most well-rounded drummers I've met.
My personal favorite surf drum moment was when he and Taylor both set up their kits together at the SF Yacht Club show - each band had them step up for dueling drum solos. I was absolutely blown away at both of them, not to mention the fact that on various times both Taylor and Kevin did identical fills - WITHOUT really knowing the parts!!! That moment was only topped when I grabbed Jay's jag and played the last part of Parasite Beach with the rest of the H4. Thing is, I'm 6'1 and about 240, while Jay is about 5'6 and maaaaybe 130 - that strap kept the guitar just below my armpits!!

Damn do I miss the H4 playing out.

~B~

SurfBandBill
Tony,
If you get a chance -- check out Surfin' Sunday at the Utah this Sunday. Jeremy from Pollo is a beast, and Taylor from the Lava Rats sure does a hell of a job holding his own as well.

Always around with the shameless plug,
~Bill~

21+ ?

sadly i'm only 19....
but i do have a fake ID that works some places.

Science friction burns my fingers.

Tony,
Have your parents come, it's all ages if chaparoned by a parent or gaurdian.
I'd tell you to tell them that Bill is your gaurdian, but he'd probably start buyin' ya beers. Rolling Eyes

Jeff(bigtikidude)

21+ ?

sadly i'm only 19....
but i do have a fake ID that works some places.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey Tony,
If you're not too far, it's always worth a shot. I'm trying to get one of my high school students in as our unofficial merch guy. Hell, maybe I'll buy a round for all of us - or sneak some of the "band beers" out to ya.

~B~

thanks for the help guys!

sadly i'll be out of town this weekend. but is this a weekly thing?

i'd like to meet some of you guys from the forum. it'll happen soon i'm sure.

It generally tends to be a monthly deal. Ferenc from Pollo has been arranging them for the past... year or so exclusively - since the Utah re-opened. Before that he and I both did some of the booking. The Surfing Sundays have been going for... yeesh - three years or so I think. Keep an eye out on the forums, the shows are always publicized.

~B~

ah, confused the dates of my trip this weekend. I'll be in SF! so i'll attemp tto make it into the show this sunday.

Awesome! Maybe you can be our "drum tech", so we can sneak you in too (of course your door charge then goes to us Wink ).

But seriously... it would be cool to see you there.

AND ANYONE ELSE!!!

~Bill~

SurfBandBill
Awesome! Maybe you can be our "drum tech", so we can sneak you in too (of course your door charge then goes to us Wink ).

But seriously... it would be cool to see you there.

AND ANYONE ELSE!!!

~Bill~

sounds like plan, just give me some briefing in the next couple days.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'd like to add that The MeshuggaBeachParty is opening up at the Hotel Utah this Sunday. So come early, and bring your yarmulkas ! (beard optional)

Danny Snyder

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Wait, this thread was about surf drumming at one point, right? Confused

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Hey Brian,
I've done what I can to keep it on topic while promoting the show, because the fact of the matter is that all three drummers have VERY different takes on the surf sound.
And I had that tongue-in-cheek on topic joke about sneaking Tony in as our drum tech Wink

Sorry if I led it astray Crying

~B~

to bring it back on topic check out this video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jWC1ENR7bI8

i don't want to start the whole "are the ventures a surf band?" argument. but IMHO this is excellent surf drums.

ps: i'll be wearing my MOAM shirt at the show tommorow.

Last edited: Apr 01, 2006 21:44:55

...if that video is Mel Taylor playin 'Wipeout" on the Gretsch Catalina set...then, I absolutely agree!!!... that is freakin' hardcore kick-ass surf drumming!!!

Man, Mel Taylor was the absolute best at stick control, and getting the greatest amount and variety of sounds out of each piece in his kit.

Mel is my hero!

-dp

...it was Mel playin 'Wipeout'...

(I am on lame-ass dial up right now...so I won't be watching it right now)

Mel...man, he rules!

-dp

I just read the thread so forgive me if I repeat anything that has been said.
Surf druming is more than just the snare and 1/8 notes on the cymbals. People have talked about the rolling toms, not using the hi hat. A real drummer understands that each song has the correct part for it. There are time where a rolling tom is appropriate and times it is not. A single stroke fill sounds and feels completly different on the toms than it does on the snare.
Since surf music is based around the same basic beat, a good drummer is required to make suttle changes in that beat to make it fresh and interesting.
People have mentioned Dusty Watson, in my opinion one of the best surf drummers ever. Very Happy I f you take the hi hat issue. I don't understand how some one could say they "don't like it". Tha's like saying I don't like the E string. It's part of the instument and has to be used correctly. Listen to Rosarita 3 day. Dusty takes the basic twist beat with the base on 3 &1 and accents the hi hat in a way that is unique. He accents at the same time he is hitting the snare. Then he goes to the ride when the song opens up, which is what the ride does. This changed the entire feel o f the beat and made the song feel fresh.
As far as the fills go there is a right place for them, I like to use them to help the song cresendo, I tend not to use them in the begining of the song and add them as the song progresses, getting more complicated as I go. Again, take Rosarita 3 day, Dusty plays basically the same fill in the begining of the song until he gets to a middle fill, where he leaves out a few notes and accents it differently. This adds drama and a new feel.
As a drummer, there is a reason I like surf, the drums are more in front in surf music, they are used in a melodic way as more than just a back beat for a singer. It is also always a challenge to find a new way to express the basic beat so it is fresh.

I think the style of a particular band should influence the drum sound used, and/or in some cases vice versa. For an instro band rooted more or less in the traditional vein, I think the ride cymbal is typically more appropriate than the hi-hat & I know in my case, I usually shy away from the rock and roll formula of hihat for the verse/ride cymbal for the chorus. I generally prefer the ride cymbal (or cymbals) over the hi-hat and that is largely due to my frustration of having the friggin' hihat come through so loud in the mix (louder than the lead guitar) that the whole drum track has to get buried just to make the guitar cut through - and this is all with the hi-hat not being miked.

Before I studied "surf" drumming, I came from a hi-hat oriented drumming background (think Stewart Copeland), so it was a conscious effort for me to get away from that for a while. Looking and listening to the 1st wave artists (particularly Mel Taylor - Live in 65), it was almost all ride cymbal with occasional "crashes" on the hihat and or ride cymbal.

Over the course of our 3 studio albums, I've gradually brought the hi-hat back into picture a little bit, always wary of it being too loud, but trying to achieve some variety in the ride source. I think Ted (SP), Doug Hoekstra of the Cossacks, Birdstuff (MOAM) & Jimmy Lester (LS) used the hi-hat effectively without it being overpowering in the mix so listening to those guys certainly influenced me a bit. On Nebula One, i don't think I rode on the hihat at all - used it sparingly on IGT, and used it a little more on the latest one, although on the last two CDs, I also used two ride cymbals trying to get some variety. One thing I don't care for is a "ping-y" ride sound - I prefer a little wash because I also like to crash on it too - especially after I retired my 2nd crash cymbal. Again, its all personal preference. I'm also in the 8th note camp, but listening to my recordings, it usually sounds like quarter notes (which pisses me off, 'cause I am playing 8th notes, dammit). Another reason I don't frequent the hi-hat is the "why are you chopping steak like Tommy Lee?" looks I sometimes get from the other guys. Of course if I had a 10" * and earned income from a video of myself *ing some hot bizatch, I would play whatevah I want.

I think Dusty is a different animal altogether - I think he's a rock drummer that knows the ins and outs of surf music like no other and can dominate the hihat and still make it sound surfy. Jeremy and Dane both play in decidedly non-trad sounding bands where the hihat is most welcome - both can of course play the surf beat with the best of them, but I think their respective bands' compositions allow them to expand way beyond that. When the Nebulas start playing stuff in "5" or "3," I'll let you know - we're still working on 4/4.

Snare: the foundation of most music, but especially surf, so I good snare sound is essential - and there are so many sounds you can get out of it (rimshots, backbeat, etc.), so it should be employed to its fullest potential. All personal preference of course and I like how my snare sounds from where I sit, but as I mentioned elsewhere, after hearing Ted play my snare last week, I like it even more.

Drum volume in the mix: drums have their place in the mix which can differ with a 3-piece vs a 4 or 5 piece band. There is only so much room in each frequency, so drums too loud in a given mix might drown out certain frequencies of the bass or other guitar & I don't think you want the drums covering up or overshadowing the guitar...or maybe you do, depending on the band. That being said, most bands are a democracy, so when mixing a CD with limited time and monetary constraints, compromises have to be made. Its always nice to have an outside ear there to inject some objective input, but that's not always possible. I certainly don't get off on hearing myself play, but do have some opinions about how loud certain things should be in a mix, but I am only one vote. it also depends on how the drums were recorded as well - if everything was isolated, one can boost or cut various elements of the drum kit, but if using fewer mics, you are somewhat limited in what can be adjusted during mixdown. For example, in our first two albums, we utilized more tracks & had a lot more freedom to adjust the snare vs toms vs whole kit, whereas on the latest CD, I think it was just snare on one track and "rest of the kit" on two other tracks (left and right). We miked everything, but directed everything to a finite number of tracks, so we were somewhat limited in that regard. I certainly would have done some things differently, but its all in the history books now - all we can do is learn from what was done and try to improve on it the next time. I think overall, we achieved a better guitar sound at the slight expense of the drum sound. And then there are the mistakes I made, but that's another story.

TFJ
Jeremy and Dane both play in decidedly non-trad sounding bands where the hihat is most welcome

(my highlighting)

We are a decidely non-trad sounding band? That's news to me....

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 511 12 Next