PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
5 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jensen C12Ns HOLY COW!!!!

Page 1 of 1

I just put a 66 c12n (with fender lable) in my deluxe reverb and WOW! This is what a BFDR should sound like! I have tried a bunch of speakers, and put a weber in there, when I got a chance to test out this old jensen from a bandmaster cab. Un-Real... no better than that! Grind, chime, sensitivity, it has it all. If I want I can nail the SRV tone (not that I want to), but back it off just a tad, and you have a great clean tone... I heard a tone tubby a few weeks before in an identical BFDR, it was just ho-hum.

Someone said that you should replace black face fender amp speakers with what they came with because leo designed around the speaker. I thought it was bs until I put that baby in....

Sorry I will go rant off line about it for a while!

tom

THe NEpTuNeS

That's pretty cool...I had one of those in my tweed hot rod, and I remember it sounded great in that. I don't know why I didn't think of putting one of those in my Deluxe. I have been looking for a replacement for mine as well. So many people have recommended the 12F150. I was thinking about trying to find a Reverend, as I've heard a lot of praise about them. It's definitely something I'm gonna do before the new year. Thanks for the idea!

I took out the Weber 12F150 and put in the jensen. granted the Weber is not as broken in as the Jensen... and I loved the twang of the weber, but the jensen had more personality. I put the Weber in my bandmaster cab with an Italian Jensen, and that sounds pretty good. Put it this way, our bass player (and vintage tone-hound) ran in from outside when I cranked up the deluxe with the jensen, first words out of his mouth "HOLY SHIT!!!!"
no kidding, he had no Idea it was a new speaker, he heard the tone from outside the house!

(guess you can tell I am a little excited) Try one if you can find (a 60's) one.
tom

THe NEpTuNeS

I aint vouching for this speaker, but I am considering snapping it up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jensen-C12N-Original-1960s_W0QQitemZ160054295540QQihZ006QQcategoryZ121165QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune
I took out the Weber 12F150 and put in the jensen. granted the Weber is not as broken in as the Jensen... and I loved the twang of the weber

Man webers kick a$$ they take just a few good shows/rehearsals to brake in and then you'll hear the mojo the same goes for new Tone caps they also need a few hours to brake in and then instant mojo, I use 2x12 webers in my 64' bassman and holy $hit Guitar
You should give those webers a 2nd try being that they are spendy speakers in the 1st place.

check out the sound I'm getting from 2X12 Weber's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYP6iB5rXEU

And also it's going to depend on the model of weber speaker you have they are each designed for a different sound and also the amount of dop you asked for, I'll never go back to stock Fender speakers

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

My intent was not to diss Weber at all.

there is so much going on in that relationship between tube amp and
speakers, one persons perfect tone is anothers mud. The differences
between the Weber and the Jensen are far more subtle. And you can't
go wrong with one of Teds speakers

I was very skeptical that the old jensen would be a better match for my particular Deluxe Reverb than the Weber (this is my third weber), The old
Jensen was actually meant for cab that I use with the Showman, hearing it
there combined with the fact that it had a Fender label (making my amp
look more stock) made me want to give it a try. I am still using the weber
in the amp I use most, it sounds great! it was just that the magic happened
with this old speaker and the Deluxe rev.

It is really hard to audition speakers. What I like about Weber is the descriptions are well done and you know what you are getting.
WHen you are looking at different brands of speakers, you really have to dissect the hype in speaker jargon to find what you really need to know.
Then try to find one you can hear.... argh.
My two cents

tom

THe NEpTuNeS

I saw you won the Jensen...damn good price....let me know how it sounds.....Keary

surfneptune
My intent was not to diss Weber at all.
tom

That's ok Tom my intent was not to diss old stock Fender speakers either
I dig them both but I have fallen for Weber speakers Very Happy

surfneptune
one persons perfect tone is anothers mud

I can dig that Cool
I've still got the old 64' C12n's from my biggy back cab maybe I'll put them up for sale one of these days or maybe keep them for a pet project for a future combo rig Question

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Page 1 of 1