PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
5 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Educate me on Vintage Jaguar Prices please

Page 1 of 1

This one has caught my eye, and I'm wondering what the masses think it's worth. I don't know how to post a link yet so If someone could that would be great. It's eBay Item number: 140054243530. I'd love to hear (generally speaking) your opinion on what clean, mostly original Pre-CBS Jags are worth as well. Has anyone here recently bought a vintage Fender guitar?

I'm not a big fan of the finish on that Jag. It is going to go for a ton of money. There are too many criteria for what pre-CBS Jags will go for. Finish is the big factor.

I recently bought a vintage Jazzmaster for $1200.

Here' that link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140054243530

I wouldn't pay no more then $2,000

It's one of those things, When you ebay you bid what's it's worth to you??? the current price is $1,725.00 Reserve not met and this listing has 5 days to go I think maybe this seller's reserve is $2,000 and then it could even go up to (in bids) $3,000 these Jaguars can have price tags of over $4,000 I think anything before 65' is going to be spendy I paid for mine and this was 4 years ago $3,000 for a first year 62 Jaguar in mint condish who knows what it would sell for today?? but I am not selling it Very Happy

Vintage guitars are always going up in price every year as well as amps.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006 14:21:11

JakeDobner
I'm not a big fan of the finish on that Jag. It is going to go for a ton of money. There are too many criteria for what pre-CBS Jags will go for. Finish is the big factor.

I recently bought a vintage Jazzmaster for $1200.

Jake that's the beauty of Vintage Fenders the discolored finish and hardware and especialy the sunburts finish's, and the heart of the whole guitar it's pickups.

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I just didn't like the discoloring on that particular Jag. Normally I rather enjoy the aging.

If I wanted a vintage jag, it would be just frikin like that.

THe NEpTuNeS

surfneptune
If I wanted a vintage jag, it would be just frikin like that.

Rock

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Thanks for all the feedback.. I e-mailed the seller. It's reserve is $3,200.00. Call me crazy, but that seems about right. Look at Strats and Teles.. And what new Custom Shop Fender instruments are now commanding. I think a Jag like this will go for $5,000.00 in less than five years..???

RockabillyKing
Thanks for all the feedback.. I e-mailed the seller. It's reserve is $3,200.00. Call me crazy, but that seems about right. Look at Strats and Teles.. And what new Custom Shop Fender instruments are now commanding. I think a Jag like this will go for $5,000.00 in less than five years..???

Jags are always cheaper than Strats Teles and Jazzmasters...Always.
$3200 for that guitar is a rip off, you could by used AV for 800-900 which would be virtually the same guitar.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

RockabillyKing

If things keep going the way they are now, yes. $5000 in a few years. Three years ago I decided I wanted to buy a Jag, but I couldn't decide on a used AV for about $800, a new AV for about $1100, or a refin custom color for about $1200, or an orig sunburst for about the same. It seemed like that was about the going rate for all Jags. During the 5-6 months that I was saving money, and deciding, the vintage 60's Jags prices skyrocketed. So, $3200 is probably about right. Oly white w/ matching headstock seems to be the most popular color, as far as re-sale, everyone likes that color.

A Used AV Jag will always sell for about 3/4 of the original new price. I doubt they will ever go up in value. A vintage instrument will keep going up in value. If you are buying one to play, the AV is going to be virtually just as nice - If you are buying for investment, or because you have the money and you always wanted a vintage Jag, Go for it!

Plus, the Vintage Jag is very cool looking!

Chris

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

I've been wanting a '56-58 Duo-Sonic (Desert Sand w/ gold anodized pickguard) for about 5 years. When I started looking for a clean one, the going price was $650-700. Now they are going for $1500-2200 on eBay.

The Duo-Sonic was a "student" model entry-level Fender, probably akin to current Squiers, except the old ones were built in Fullerton. Suddenly, even those things have apparently become collectible. I don't want one badly enough to spend two grand.

Pre-CBS Jags and Jazzmasters will continue to appreciate. They were the top-of-the-line Fenders at the time. They probably won't appreciate at the same rate as vintage Strats, but the darn things keep going up in price, and unlike Lay's potato chips, they aren't making Fullerton-built Jags/Jazzmaters/Duo-Sonics any more.

The AVRI Jags and JZM's are great guitars (I have one of each). But in 10 years I doubt if they will be fetching 25-35% of what a nice early-mid '60's model will bring. The AVRI Fender is an equally good, if not better, player. But the '64 is also an INVESTMENT.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Are used AV Jags really going for $800-900 still? I haven't seen any at that price in awhile. I've been watching a lot of Jazzmasters and I never AV ones go for under $950 anymore. Most are over $1000.

If you pay close attention - AV Jags are still $800 and up - I've bought a few in the last year for $800-$900, and a few Jazzmasters, too. pretty nice examples can still be found.
Since the new AV prices have gone up, the re-sale price has gone up a little. Still, 25% - 35% of new price is probably about the average. That puts them between $945 and $1025.

I buy a few guitars a year if I find ones that are underpriced, and re-sell them. So I watch e-bay pretty close. It helps with my G.A.S., and I make a couple of bucks to save for my real gear purchases.

Chris

Seriously, if you have the coin go for it. If you look at the history of vintage prices, at least you should be able to bail on it without losing any money and in all likelyhood make some money in a few years.

And that is as cool as they get in my opinion.

$3200 seems fair, an it will probably go for more....

tom

THe NEpTuNeS

Sonichris
If you pay close attention - AV Jags are still $800 and up - I've bought a few in the last year for $800-$900, and a few Jazzmasters, too. pretty nice examples can still be found.
Since the new AV prices have gone up, the re-sale price has gone up a little. Still, 25% - 35% of new price is probably about the average. That puts them between $945 and $1025.

I buy a few guitars a year if I find ones that are underpriced, and re-sell them. So I watch e-bay pretty close. It helps with my G.A.S., and I make a couple of bucks to save for my real gear purchases.

Chris

I didn't really mean in the last year as far as AV prices go. I got my AV Jag for $700 about a year ago.

Theres a Jag on ebay right now for $899 buy it now. I passed on a black
av Jazzmaster last month that went for $850 - and it was sweet. I think the point of this is, AV Jags and Jazzmasters aren't really going up in value, (in relation to new prices) while vintage instruments are.

I saw Jacob's new jazzmaster - that was a once in a lifetime purchase, the exception to the rule!

Chris

Page 1 of 1