Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf Music... why change what ain't broke?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 511 12 Next

shivers13
Jeff, it's true you can't please everyone. Some like trad and some like progressive. You tend to pretty much like it all, which we (bands that play surfy type stuff) are grateful for. I tend to agree with this...

surferjoemusic
Be careful though... what progresses too much might become something else... the gap between progress of a genre and the creation of something else is very little.

I'm not hardline about this, though. Look at Satan's Pilgrims. I refer to them as a Surf band (most do) but they really play Surf/Biker Fuzz/ Ventures instro/Garage/Go-Go/Psych Music if you want to really split hairs. Yet Surf band fits them perfectly. I guess they're just the right amount of progressive for me! Very Happy

What's ironic is how strict some people are about the term Surf Music for some things, then not other things.

I totally understand what you mean and I agree that it is all a personal point of view. At the same time I feel to agree with zzero saying that probably we discuss these things too much. We risk to lose the spirit. It is the most important thing for me when thinking of surf music. I see some surf bands that are way too serious when they play, they miss the fun, and fun is 99% of the surf music spirit for how i see it.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic
I totally understand what you mean and I agree that it is all a personal point of view. At the same time I feel to agree with zzero saying that probably we discuss these things too much. We risk to lose the spirit. It is the most important thing for me when thinking of surf music. I see some surf bands that are way too serious when they play, they miss the fun, and fun is 99% of the surf music spirit for how i see it.

I totally agree with this. Anyone who knows my point of view knows this very well. To me Surf Music is Teenage Rock & Roll. If you lose that spirit then you've lost it all. But I'm interested in knowing what other people think.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Norm has a good handle on this. I know when I'm playing Surf music, my hair seems a little less grey and the aches and pains fade away.
Everyone at the Rickenbacker Festival thought the Surf Jam was hot! Let's hope future generations embrace it in its purest form and that us "purists" open our minds and ears.
To me, looks like that's what's happening.

although the Insect Surfers are not a trad surf band.
I think that Dave and the Boys keep the stage energy and fun factor very high.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude

Very true.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic

bigtikidude

Very true.

The 60's style go-go chicks during their set at this year's SG101 Con is living proof of that! Yowza. Dave is one cat that really taps into the vibe I'm talking about. Even though his band has progressive inclinations, they're still very rooted in the original vibe and sound.

Ron-Rhoades
Sorry...i rambled...i'm weak and haven't had dinner yet.

It's not the rambling that's the problem; it's the lack of paragraphing.

Sorry; I'm an English teacher.

Los Fantasticos

I would like to weigh in: keep it the way your ear expects to hear it. I am having the same debate in my polka-jazz fusion combo lately. Exploration is fun for the player, but keep boundaries the audience understands even after three beers. I mean, can you improve upon the Chicken Dance with a 32-bar improvised Dorian mode accordion solo? Not really!

SSIV

LHR
I mean, can you improve upon the Chicken Dance with a 32-bar improvised Dorian mode accordion solo? Not really!

Maybe, if you add a decent amount of echoplex and a rotary speaker.

A lot of bands that I really enjoy don't play what I would consider "surf" in the strictest sense even though they use the term to describe themselves. I try not to think too much about this sort of thing.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Ruhar
I try not to think too much about this sort of thing.

Agreed. I look at some of the more out-there contemporary stuff I like as the logical continuation of the way out-there 60s stuff that falls under the surf banner - The Fender IV, The Avengers VI's "Sahara," a lot of The Atlantics stuff, etc.

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield

Ruhar
I try not to think too much about this sort of thing.

Agreed. I look at some of the more out-there contemporary stuff I like as the logical continuation of the way out-there 60s stuff that falls under the surf banner - The Fender IV, The Avengers VI's "Sahara," a lot of The Atlantics stuff, etc.

Some of it is a logical continuation and some clearly isn't. I'm personally not that hung up about it, but simply belonging to this site and being a regular contributor suggests that these hair splitting matters must mean something to you. Before I joined this forum I never realized how obsessed people are with putting things into categories. I've read "that's not surf" here so much that it's led me to wonder why some are so precious with that discription for some things and not others. So the question still remains, if you're into changing surf, why call it surf at all? I'm not talking about imploying different influences, I'm talking about changing it altogether.

To be fair, though, a lot of the "That's not surf" stuff here (that I've seen, at least) tends to be in reference to Jack Johnson-style stuff.

As far as why people change the core sound from '61-'65, I don't know if you can really apply a blanket statement to it ... but I think there's some combination of people wanting to put some a new spin on what's already been done, as well as people bringing influences to the table that didn't exist during '61-'65. Even if you're taking influence from more modern stuff in the sense that you don't want your music to sound like it, what you do is still colored by that. If you start a band and say you don't want any traces of, say, punk or metal in what you do, simply by going out of the way to avoid having those elements and influences creep in, the end result becomes altered. (Whereas in the 60s it was totally natural to avoid those influences because the genres in question didn't exist.)

As far as saying something is or isn't surf, for me it's a case by case thing. Some stuff that gets lumped in under the surf banner, to me, is surf-influenced punk or metal instros rather than punk or metal-influenced surf instros. Where to draw the line between those classifications? That's a really fine hair to split, but I guess for me it comes down to what genre is the base. If the base is clearly surf, then it's blank-influenced surf. If the base is something else, then it's surf-influenced, but not surf.

That probably reads like a bunch of gibberish.

You bring up some excellent points. With The Ghastly Ones, I feel we have many outside and modern influences, but we're not too far out of the box, IMO. But I cracked up when someone mentioned us on the "fringe of surf" thread. We are typically referred to as a surf band, as is MOAM, or SP who have many non-surf influences… yet The Ventures, who played at Surf Stomps, recorded an album called SURFING, recorded many surf-type instros and had their music in Surfing films, still aren’t a surf band to some people. Confused

An interesting side note: I went into a small Surf Shop near C Street in Ventura recently and they had a stack of Vintage Surfing Films on DVD from the 60’s and 70’s, and right there among them was The Ventures:Beloved Invaders DVD with a hand written sticker on it that read, Vintage Surf Sounds!!!:D

But this isn't a "what is surf or not surf" thread. I'm just interested in people's perspective on why or why not it needs to be changed, and why the need to call it surf once it loses it's original feel.

shivers13
To me Surf Music is Teenage Rock & Roll. If you lose that spirit then you've lost it all.

Norm, I respect you greatly but I don't think you're right about this.

First of all, surf music is not just one thing - any one thing. It means very different things to different people, even to the originators, but certainly to all of us that joined later. There's no one correct way to define surf music.

Second, the fact is that not all originators of surf music were teenagers. Dick Dale, for one, was no teenager by the time that surf music really took off in '62 - he was 25 by then. The Ventures, of course, were about the same age as DD. The Astronauts were older than the typical SoCal teenage band, if I recall correctly, and by the time of Baja were in their early 20s. Here you have some of the most influential acts of the first wave, and what do you know, they weren't teens.

Third, I was never drawn to surf music because it's 'fun' and I suspect that goes for more than a few other people out there, too. I have fairly low tolerance for I-IV-V progressions, which rules out much of 'fun' surf music for me. What attracted me to it in the first place was its power, its mystery, its sense of adventure. Oh yeah, and its amazing creativity. When I first started getting into surf music, I was just blown away by how different and how out-there some of this stuff was, it was truly exciting to discover it! Also, it can be incredibly evocative, painting pictures in my mind much more effectively than any vocal music ever did. That's why I stick with it, since when it's done to my taste it still transports me to exotic locales more effectively than any other genre.

Fourth, I think you do a disservice to surf music by minimizing how different and how creative it was, by making it look like it's just teens cruising for chicks. The growth in the genre between '61 and '65 is quite astonishing. To go from Mr. Moto to Mar Gaya in that time period is pretty amazing. When you read interviews with Paul Johnson and Eddie Bertrand, they were really into their music, they took it very seriously and were constantly pushing themselves as musicians. In addition, you have really out-there stuff during that period, like Ventures in Space, or much of the stuff the Atlantics did (you think they were hoping to score with the chicks when they released War of the Worlds as a single??). Same goes for the Fender IV - every time I play Mar Gaya around my wife, she's immediately screaming at me 'turn it off!'. A good chunk of surf music most certainly does not attract girls, and I'm pretty sure it never did. And that's usually the stuff that I really love. Very Happy

Fifth, the surf music that I love or at least respect is the stuff where the performers were able to stamp their own personality into their music. The stuff where as soon as i hear it, I know which band it is. There's way too much surf music where I listen to it and think, I have no idea who this is - it could be any of dozens of bands out there. That usually applies to bands that are trying to sound really trad - but inevitably end up sounding bland and boring. I'm not into progress for the sake of progress - I'm into progress when it comes from musicians that are really putting themselves into their music and because of their personal creativity end up opening new doors for the rest of us.

Finally, I'm glad you don't think surf music is broken, but I am definitely afraid it might be. Having been a part of this scene since '94, I would say that it's close to being on life-support at the moment. The number of CDs being released is way lower that there was in the '90s. The level of excitement about surf music seems way lower than in the '90s. Sure there are some bright spots, like the SG101 convention and Surfer Joe and the new North Sea festival. But the reason why these things are happening is due to a few highly-dedicated and enthusiastic individuals who want to do what they can to make surf music more well-known. It's not due to some outcry from the public for more surf music events. In addition, it seems to me that there is less creativity in surf music today than there has been in the past 20 years. It's not only leveled off, it's dropped way off. The number of zines writing about surf music has diminished. Certainly the number of labels releasing surf music has gone way down. The number of surf bands being able to tour around the country has gone way down. And here's the biggest problem - there are hardly any new bands of note. Very few people in their 20s are playing surf music, the only bands that are releasing stuff consist of guys in their 30s, 40s, and often in their 50s or even older. This is not a sustainable situation. I actually really worry about the future of our genre.

Sorry to go all 'brainiac' on you, but you asked. I would never tell you how you should feel about surf music, and if it's all about Rat Fink and hot rods and chicks for you, great, man, have a blast! No doubt that was a big part of surf music from its very beginning. But, please don't try to box it in for the rest of us. It seems we should really encourage bands to try to do something different with it, make it more relevant to the younger people of today (if that is indeed possible) rather than put the blinkers on.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I am really enjoying this thread, and the interchange of ideas

Ivan mentions that the genre is close to being on life-support, that he's really worried about its future

I, for one, think it's "hanging in there" fairly well, for a variety of reasons

BTW, fairly soon I will be announcing a multi-genre 'website venture' (no pun intended!) where I will be the 'host' of the 'surf music' portion. I have spoken to a few of our members about this; I am waiting for the right moment to let everyone know about it. I have already done some interviews (video) for the site. I think if it's handled right (and I will need and count on many of You here to be associated with the site, contribute to it), that the 'surf music genre' will gain attention and be more "visible" and "available", as the website will have tie-ins to national promotions, TV shows, movies, etc. There will be opportunities for those not familiar with this wonderful genre to learn about the many worldwide bands -- their names, their music, their live performances. I am so damn excited about this, and will probably begin a thread real soon, as early as late October, or early November, at the latest.

There is no 'right or wrong' about all of what's being discussed here, IMHO. I am encouraged at how the discussion is so civil and healthy, and that the 'range' of what people think about 'surf music' is so broad. I like to keep in mind, as Ivan points out, that an opinion is, essentially, something 'personal', and that one does not automatically have to subscribe to someone else's 'view'.

This is ALL why SG101 is such a fantastic forum! (God Bless Brian!!)

Thx 'Baron' for kick-starting this discussion

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

I too enjoy these thread exploring the diversity and (sometimes) ambiguity of Surf. Just one question to add and I'd really like to hear opinions about.

Hasn't surf music been pretty much "family safe" all these years with almost no exceptions. Am I beginning to see a (disturbing) trend away from this aspect by blending Surf with alcohol, cursing, gore, racism, or violence etc?

One of the comments we universally heard during interviews is how Surf is appropriate for all generations, grandparents and grandchildren can enjoy the same shows together and this has been part of the appeal.

Most of you know better than me so please discuss as I really want to understand why this is necessary. Will we need to apply some labeling system to surf albums and videos? (ugh!) Is this a trend of the culture and Surf beginning to bend to conform or appeal to a larger audience?

thanks,
td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Please pm me about surf gore/racism/violence... very curious...

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

or post it publicly.
I am wondering what bands include this, or promote these things.

Not that I endorse them, just wondering where you are getting these ideas from.
Confused

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Racist, eh? I'm picturing a band called The Illinois Surf Nazis

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

bigtikidude
or post it publicly

No kidding - some of those are serious allegations.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 511 12 Next