Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 531 32 Next

Hey Fripp,
First of all.... I am going to pat myself on the back and give a little grin for not "going there" on the "I have a stubby" comment...

but seriously, don't you find that the overall thickness of the stubby, along with its lack of flexibility causes you to lose some amount of attack when playing surf? I use a heavy-duty big stubby (2 or 3 mm) when I play jazz on my hollowbody, but like it for the reason of it's not having a sharp attack. I could never imagine playing surf, or even trem. picking with something like that. I like a pick that's a bit thinner and a good deal more plyable. (if that's even a word)

But I guess that's why they make fifty billion different types of picks....

~B~

I find a stiffer pick better for the way I play. I've noticed I can gliss with the tip on the stubby as a set resistance where as a looser pick's definition sometimes gets lost depending on how I'm holding it and what technique I've just used. I do all kinds of weird things with my right hand and the pick is sometimes hidden while I use fingers or a slapping technique.

There is Surf east of Sepulveda.

I hear that, I often times will do two-string melody lines, plucking the lower note with a pick, while striking the higher string with my index finger. I do a bit of craziness here and there too, I couldn't tell you how I do it, because half the time I don't even know myself...

~B~

I have no idea how you guys can play with heavy picks. I can't comprehend it even.

JakeDobner
I have no idea how you guys can play with heavy picks. I can't comprehend it even.

Jake, do you remember the picks discussion we had on the old yahoo group. most people said to play with heavys, and then Dave Wronski chimed in with his Dunlop Gels light/medium. I remember I was really surprised. anyway, I tried them and hated them. went back to my .88's straight away (not that heavy even, I guess). played a srat with roundwounds.
now, since Ive got my jag, strng with chromes 011's (which is exactly what DW is using if Im not mistaking) I tried the thin gels again, .... like buttah! Í still can't use 'em with a strat, love 'em with a jag.

not a clue what point Im making here Confused

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I use those picks that Dave uses. I also use Tortex of the same gauge because they don't break, but the Gels sound amazing compared to the Tortex. I use .12s on my jags though. I'm going to put .11s on my Jazzmaster when I get it. I'm going ot feel like a traitor having a Jazzmaster because I love Jags so much.

JakeDobner
II'm going ot feel like a traitor having a Jazzmaster because I love Jags so much.

No you're not, you're going to feel like a surf guitar god!

Jazzmasters rule Rock

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

dp
sad sad news:

Joe Moshay died last year, and word on the street says that Moshay picks may not be made anymore. What will I do?

They're all I've ever used! Crying

Maybe the Moshay family will carry on with the "in-the-garage" production of the picks, or maybe they will sell the business and patents to someone like Dunlop or Fender so they can carry on production.

sadness,

-dp

If you have trouble finding Moshay picks, let me know.
There is a music store here that still has a box of 'em.
They didn't even know they had 'em because nobody had asked for 'em in years. The ones I use are several years old, they don't seem to wear out like a harder pick. I do lose one occasionally and it just wrecks my day.

-Mike

If you have trouble finding Moshay picks, let me know.
There is a music store here that still has a box of 'em.
They didn't even know they had 'em because nobody had asked for 'em in years. The ones I use are several years old, they don't seem to wear out like a harder pick. I do lose one occasionally and it just wrecks my day.

-Mike

thanks mike...

i hear you re: "moshay longevity"...i must have a few that are at least 15-20 years old...

they don't seem to wear out much at all.

i used to give them away quite a bit for others to try out, but, i'll have to start being stingy-er. I think I have about a dozen or so right now.
that should last for a while.

-dp

Im not sure pics are 'gear' but they are essential!
Ive been using the green dunlops forever. I like the
sandpaper/sweat absorbtion you get and they are a good
stiffness with just enough give to them.

dp
thanks mike...

i hear you re: "moshay longevity"...i must have a few that are at least 15-20 years old...

they don't seem to wear out much at all.

i used to give them away quite a bit for others to try out, but, i'll have to start being stingy-er. I think I have about a dozen or so right now.
that should last for a while.

-dp

Kind of an interesting story about how I found out about Moshay picks, I was at a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert in Hawaii in 1977 (before the plane crash) and after the show they threw out the picks they were using and I caught one. It was a Moshay! I hadn't started playing guitar yet, but I played the mandolin a little so I used that pick! Still have it around here somewhere...

I use the Wedgie .88mm. The green ones. The guys I play with can't stand thm, but I like the indentation for your thumb. Haven't dropped one yet.

I usually use a Dunlop Tortex yellow (.73 mm).

I like to use a really thin nylonish? pick for double picking (some unmarked no-name I found somewhere.) It seems to help increase my speed.

I'm partial to the Dunlop gels, I use purple (medium) for lead. As mentioned before, I tried it after Wronski suggested it, and found it worked real well for me. For rhythm with the Meshuggas I use a plain Dunlop red (light).

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I use Dunlop Nylons .60mm they are great for fast pickin' and you can make them thicker the closer you get to the tip and for awesome dynamics and they save me strings as well from breaking Very Happy I love them!!!

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

I have become fond of the Clayton Acetal small picks. Anyone else use this brand?
The Moshay nylon ones are superb as well, IMO. They just last for years.

SSIV

I found that Dava control picks worked great when I was learning my doublepicking technique, you can vary the flexability depending on where you grab it. Kinda like training wheels in a weird way. My wife gave me a box of snarling dog nylon "brain picks" and they work great! They have "1.0" on the back (MM?) Seems like anything above .73 in picks works for me, Dunlops... fender heavys, I found a "Pickboy" .88 that is a tad smaller that works great too, lately it's been about making the string "bounce" for maximum twang, I hang out right by the bridge pieces.

My all time acoustic favorites are those yellow Clayton picks that mimic tortis shell.

any more I have no real loyalty, it just has to have a certain level of stiffness (so it bounces back fast, or not at all). That being said, somedays are steller with lighter picks.

I guess picks for me are a variable that depend on how strong my hands are that day, and how I feel in general. Everything else stays the same.

THe NEpTuNeS

Fender 346 Heavy.

Matt Aqua

^ man, that's a big pick... Shocked

Tom,
I'm interested by your take on those Dava "Control" picks - I tried one for a while and just couldn't get comfortable on the thing. I have always held picks in such a way that I do it naturally - I "choke up" on a pick a bit if I want to really dig down, but will hold further back on the pick if I want to give it some more bend.

I am a big fan of those snarling dog "brain" picks - I was first introduced to them a few years back when they were still marketed by CoolPicks. The minute I picked one up (no pun intended), I was immediately impressed. I was excited to see that they were picked up by a major distributor - those picks are just too cool to keep under wraps. I use one of the orange ones (1.14, I think) on my baritone.

But I still say, as I always have - give me glow in the dark aliens or give me nothing!

~B~

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 531 32 Next