Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The REAL Official Surf Saxophone Thread!!!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

shivers13 wrote:

Here's a promo shot of Dick Dale from Dalley's book.
Is there anything this man can't do? There is in fact
footage of him live from '62 where he takes off the
guitar and plays sax on the tune "All Night Long".

Boy, that jogs a memory...
Dick Dale playing the UC Riverside Homecoming Dance, 1969...
One one song, he played everything...
Cool!

Download (for free!) "Overhead At Darrington"--fiddle tunes arranged for surf-style electric mandolin--by Bruce Harvie and The Sandfleas here...

I think my favorite sax playing of all of the 1st wave was on the Challengers' "K-39" album. It credits Phil Pruden as the player, though given how much of the Challengers recordings were done with studio musicians, who knows who the actual players really were. But whoever it was, there's just this great reedy tone as well as excellent arrangements that made all of those songs come alive for me. If it was indeed Mr. Pruden, I wonder if anybody knows anymore more about him? I've never seen any mention of him subsequently.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Ivan, you should check out Randy from The Challenger's Facebook page. He seems really cool about answering questions too. The Challengers often used session guys on their recordings but they also played on a lot of their own stuff too. Even Richard. I think it was Randy that said these session guys were expensive so they didn't play on everything. BTW, I love the Challengers!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Agree big Challengers fan here!! loved them in the 60's and liking 'em still!! Worship

Enjoying the surf,sun and sand!!

shivers13 wrote:

Ivan, you should check out Randy from The Challenger's
Facebook page. He seems really cool about answering
questions too. The Challengers often used session guys
on their recordings but they also played on a lot of
their own stuff too. Even Richard. I think it was
Randy that said these session guys were expensive so
they didn't play on everything. BTW, I love the
Challengers!

Holy crap! Randys Facebook is a must see! Thanks for the tip shivers!

The Thunderchiefs

I believe today is the anniversary of the birth of Adolphe Saxe.

This thread is overdue for another entry! Enter THE CENTURIANS from Costa Mesa, CA. Their sax men were Pat Gaguebin and Ken Robinson. Their moody tune BULLWINKLE PART II is famously featured in Pulp Fiction and a brilliant example of surf sax.

Last edited: Oct 07, 2014 20:16:23

I know its a fairly common song because of being used in Pulp Fiction,
but I didm't see the movie till 2000 or so(I dunno,livin under a rock I guess) anyways, I had that song on a few comps and the Centurions cd.
and I loved it. Then when I saw the movie, and noticed it was used for John's driving while doped up scene. I thought that was a bit odd, cuz it seemed more of a romantic tune to me, But I guess in hindsight it works.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Quentin loves to take songs and put them in a different context. Somehow it works and is brilliant. I think a great example of that was using Davie Allan in INGLORIOUS BASTERDS. Simply fantastic.

Also his use of the Sax heavy Comnache
By Revels, aka the Pulp Fiction love theme,
For the scene with the Gimp, in the basement.
Shock

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bigtikidude wrote:

Shock

Indeed! I hear he was also considering My Sharona for the scene.

The Pyramids from Long Beach! Tom Pitman, sax man. Their tune BIKINI DRAG is an absolute monster with a killer sax break.

bigtikidude wrote:

Shock

And then sometimes you want to break Quentin's knees.

Last edited: Oct 08, 2014 19:08:10

The ORIGINAL SURFARIS from Anaheim, CA lost the legal battle to the better known Glendora Surfaris, but that didn't stop them from cutting three absolute monster tracks, BOMBORA, SURFARI, EXOTIC and more. Doug Wiseman on sax.

Last edited: Oct 08, 2014 20:14:13

I love the languid and moody saxophone of Armon Frank on this recording of Paradise Cove by The Surfmen. The spare, haunting arrangement of the whole thing is just great. Armon later left to join Dick Dale. A young pre-Lively Ones Tim Fitzpatrick on drums...

websurfer wrote:

I love the languid and moody saxophone of Armon Frank on this recording of Paradise Cove by The Surfmen. The spare, haunting arrangement of the whole thing is just great. Armon later left to join Dick Dale. A young pre-Lively Ones Tim Fitzpatrick on drums...

Indeed. Armon would move on to play with The Deltones and the Vibrants too. It was a real pleasure to see him play live not long ago.

The SURFMEN would become THE LIVELY ONES with the addition of Jim Masoner. They are a great example of moody melodic surf where the guitar and sax trade off leads. Here's another tune "El Toro" that I really dug when I first heard it in the early 90's on the fantastic SURFER'S MOOD comp.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014 19:34:01

shivers13 wrote:

Here's another tune "El Toro" that I really dug when I first heard it in the early 90's on the fantastic SURFER'S MOOD comp.

Nice! I have come to appreciate the way guitarist Ray Hunt and Armon complement each other. Also nice to hear that he is still out there doing his thing!

Speaking of Ray Hunt (and the Surfer's Mood comps), volume 1 has a couple of tunes by (proto?) surf group The Expressos, later renamed The Surfmen. One of these tracks is called "Wandering", written by Hunt. It is essentially what later became "Paradise Cove" with the addition of sax!

Wandering

So, do we have a case here of a tune becoming surf with a name change and the addition of saxophone? Raises this interesting issue again, especially since "Wandering" was recorded in '60! Hunts' spare, atmospheric style intrigues me. I don't hear anyone else utilizing the tremolo bar that way at that time.

Not sax related per se, but here is a link to an interview with The Expressos drummer, Jerry LaFavor, including a very cool t.v. screen pic of their appearance on the Wink Martindale Saturday Night Rock & Roll Party. link

shivers13 wrote:

websurfer wrote:

Indeed. Armon would move on to play with The Deltones and the Vibrants too. It was a real pleasure to see him play live not long ago.

The SURFMEN would become THE LIVELY ONES with the addition of Jim Masoner. They are a great example of moody melodic surf where the guitar and sax trade off leads. Here's another tune "El Toro" that I really dug when I first heard it in the early 90's on the fantastic SURFER'S MOOD comp.

Great song. Love this lesson in surf sax history. This song sounds like the roots of Tranquilizer

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

websurfer wrote:

One of these tracks is called "Wandering", written by Hunt. It is >essentially what later became "Paradise Cove" with the addition of sax!

Wandering

So, do we have a case here of a tune becoming surf with a name change and the addition of saxophone? Raises this interesting issue again, especially since "Wandering" was recorded in '60!

I believe so. There's a few surf standards that came before the surf era. But I think it's because of the vibe of the song not necessarily a title change or the addition of reverb that make them surf.

Listen to "Caterpillar Crawl" by The Strangers released in the summer of '59. It's almost identical to the Lively Ones version....

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 19:27:00

shivers13 wrote:

Listen to "Caterpillar Crawl" by The Strangers released in the summer of '59. It's almost identical to the Lively Ones version....

Yep. Man, what was it with that little Titan label? They had it going on.

Titan Discography

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014 22:37:42

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3