PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
8 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink A little help for a Mosrite virgin

Page 1 of 1

Just got my super excellent yesterday and it is indeed SUPER EXCELLENT!

I immediately had to slap some 11 roundwouds on there cause it came with some really light strings and I couldn't take it. And it's much better now. Still might get it professionally set up, but the action and intonation aren't bad.

Anyway, anybody ever tried flats on a Mosrite? I'm curious. Also, will it take any heavier guage like 12's?

Also, is there a way to adjust the trem bar up a bit? Right now it works well but it sits kinda low and when I push it down it hits the pick-guard.
Is it just a matter of adjusting those hex screws on the sides of the vibromute?

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

Congrats! Fun Guitar......

I tried heavy flats (I think 12's) on mine when I first got it. They didnt sit down in the metal nut and I didnt want to file it and change it permenantly. If you always play heavy flats, maybe you will want to make that perm. change....... I like mine with wound 10's.

The only way to raise the trem is with a longer, heavier spring. I got one from Tyms guitars in Australia, but maybe Zamm has them. The hex screws on the side of the vibramute just hold the thing together...don't overtighten them! Someday when the strings are off, take it off the guitar and take it apart, you'll see how it works.... it helps to lube the roller bearings behind the hex screws once a year or so.

So how do you like that skinny neck?!

Like I told Chris from the Aquasonics yesterday, those things are crap - you should give yours to me so I can "dispose of it properly". Wink

Seriously, congrats on one HELL of a guitar.

To address your questions --

Like Bong-O said, longer trem springs are available. They're available at http://www.zamminc.com/parts.html for $10. I have kicked around that idea from time to time, but find myself happy with the setup I have.

You DEFINITELY can put flats on a Mosrite, and Andy from the Hypnotic IV swore by them - he used 11 flats, whatever those nice Gibson flatwounds were. I tried putting 10 flats on mine, but without the longer trem spring, it really yanked the existing spring down due to the higher tension. I decided shortly after than having to do a whole new setup, I'd go back to 10 rounds, which are light for me, but comfortable on the guitar.

What I'd recommend is get the spring, because for $10, there really is little downside to it, then try a set of flats and see how they suit you, maybe 10s or 11s. Once you get a better feel for how you want it to sound and feel, then decide if you wanna get it professionally set up, and make sure you get the setup you want for certain.

~B~

Thanks guys. Already put in my order for the longer spring.
Sounds like a good idea, I've already got 11 rounds on there and they work pretty well, but I've been using flats for so long I can't get used to that string scratching. I might try some 11 flats after I get the spring.

Fun is a good word for this guitar!
And the skinny neck suits my skinny fingers just fine.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I use Gibson 12 flats. Initially, the extra tension severely limited my trem-bar range, so I made a thick round washer from a snowboard binding strap and put it under the spring as an added lift(er). The little lift works fine, but I may look into the longer spring.

Twisted Evil > Angel

When I put 11's on my Mosrite, (mine is something of a '66-'67-'68'-80/'63 reissue Frankenstein) I too had the trem travel problem. It caused tuning problems when used and the arm was too sensitive. I put in a heavier tensioned spring that I got at a farm implement store and that really helped and eliminated the tuning problems. I have noticed Mosrite springs for heavy guage strings on Ebay occasionally (which I think are slightly longer than stock).

Other than that I've used 11's on my Mosrite for years without any problems and the action has remained great. Like a proud father, I can't resist showing a picture of it.

Skeeter. I've never tried flats on any of my Mosrites.. you can simiulate the sound of a flatwound by turning the tone control down a bit.. takes some of the bite out of the roundwound.. but then again, why take the EDGE out of a guitar with an edgy sound? (MHO). If your fingers like the feel of flats, well that's another story. Offhand, I'd say you're pushing trussrod/neckwarp limits with 11s. Most of my Mosrites are strung with standard 10-46(48). Leave the heavier strings for the trucks - the Fenders. A mosrite is built to play fast (like a sports car).. heavy strings on those fine frets just don't cut it (but they will chew up your frets faster). My 2 cents Smile

I'm with Johnny on the gauge issue. I'm sure it can be done, but I found 10 rounds (Rotosounds) get the best response for me.

~B~

In general I always prefer flatwounds but as I also want my guitars to sound different from each other (within the sounds I like), it was natural to go with roundwounds on the Mosrite. Especially since both Terry and Nokie used it.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Page 1 of 1