Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Favorite Vocal by an Instrumental Surf Band

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5

Squid
"Let Me Be the One" by the Shadows. This is a full vocal. It is also their only good vocal. All their other good recordings are instros.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes That is a ridiculous, even downright ignorant statement. Squid, have you ever heard their vocals from the '65-'66 era, stuff like: Stay Around, I Met a Girl, One Way to Love, Trying To Forget the One You Love, Leave My Woman Alone, Will You Be There, The Dreams I Dream, My Way (NOT the Sinatra tune!), Running Out of World, etc. You can't possible tell me that you think all of these songs were crap! It's dated stuff, but on par for much of the music of that time.

Their vocals from '60-'64 tended to be very folky, often actual US folk songs, but I think even a lot of those things they did quite well. One fairly cheesy song that I love is 1962's The Bandit, from their second album.

If nothing else, there are a bunch of vocals from the same album (actually, all from the Eurovision contest in 1975) as "Let Me Be The One" which are as good or even better - I found some of these on YouTUbe:

No No Nina
Cool Clear Air
Stand Up Like a Man
This House Runs on Sunshine
Don't Throw It All Away

(Warning to SG101-ers: the Shadows were going completely for the mid-'70s pop sound with these songs, and they have nothing to do with their classic sound. I suspect most people on this forum will be throwing up all over the place upon hearing these songs for the first time! I like 'em, simply cause I grew up with them, and well, cause they're by the Shads. But they also show that they could certainly sing extremely well.)

Finally, Hank and Bruce formed a vocal band in 1970 along with Aussie John Farrar, and did three excellent albums under the name Marvin, Welch & Farrar - Squid, have you ever listened to that stuff? Maybe you should before you make such categorical statements.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Don't It Make You Feel Good by The Boss Martians, which is a cover of a Shadows song and features on the An Evening In Nivram album.

Los Fantasticos

djangodeadman
The Boss Martians, ...

And in general these guys did a fair job of their vocals. Even though they are more or less in the "Beach Boys" vein, they do well with them.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012 12:49:43

Ivan, my friend, I have been listening to the Shadows since I bought their LP "The Shadows Know" in 1965. I bought four more single LPs and a 2-LP set in the UK in 1977 and Netherlands in 1979. Later I bought 11 single CDs and the 4-CD set of "complete singles 1959-1980." I also have their "final tour" DVD. All the songs you list as on YouTube appear on their "Specs Appeal" LP from 1975, which is in my collection. Most of the others you mention are on other albums in my collection.

I have heard all these albums many times. Your calling my choice "ignorant" was done without your awareness of my experience with the Shadows' music. You used the word "crap"--and I did not. I said only that their other vocals were not good, which means nothing more than I do not enjoy them.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid
Ivan, my friend, I have been listening to the Shadows since I bought their LP "The Shadows Know" in 1965. I bought four more single LPs and a 2-LP set in the UK in 1977 and Netherlands in 1979. Later I bought 11 single CDs and the 4-CD set of "complete singles 1959-1980." I also have their "final tour" DVD. All the songs you list as on YouTube appear on their "Specs Appeal" LP from 1975, which is in my collection. Most of the others you mention are on other albums in my collection.

I have heard all these albums many times. Your calling my choice "ignorant" was done without your awareness of my experience with the Shadows' music. You used the word "crap"--and I did not. I said only that their other vocals were not good, which means nothing more than I do not enjoy them.

I'm very glad to see you're familiar with all those songs, Squid, but in utter disbelief that out of that vast catalog you only enjoy one single vocal song? I'm glad it's not out of ignorance, and obviously I'm not gonna tell you what you should or shouldn't like, but wow, maybe you should give their other vocals a bit more chance, that's all I'm saying.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP
One fairly cheesy song that I love is 1962's The Bandit, from their second album.

My absolute favorite shads vocal!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

elreydlp
How about songs that are commonly thought of as instrumentals that contain background "vocals" with no words? I'm thinking "Ghost Riders in the Sky", ...

Oo-ing and ah-ing? As in Southern Culture on the Skids' Rumors of Surf? Which, in accord with the principle of using the term "vocal" purely, I would have to call an oo-er as opposed to an instrumental proper or a vocal proper? It would be the oo-er or all oo-ers, too.

Sample, including the oo:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QL9VLW/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk15

This version is lacking in oo-mph, to adapt a term from Whorehay, though it is otherwise more than satisfactory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X8WXtrI-c

I still stand by my earlier post as being a top fave (Thunderchiefs, Our Last Night), but I keep running into this song - most recently in the Apemen set from 1998 that I posted yesterday. Also not too far back in Ted's Garage Punk Surfcast that he hosted (#23). I'm almost certain I've heard it on RFB at least once too.

El Rey de Surf

Here's the version Ted played, by Los Locos del Ritmo, and the Apemen (lest anyone debate if Los Locos del Ritmo are a "surf band" <grin>)

Dig it!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012 06:23:20

Do the T...

Smile

original compositions (low-level demo stuff /out of tune, etc) myStuff not my best, but i don't like to be in a musician community without anything to show

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012 07:03:32

Competition Coupe - Astronauts
Here Comes Marsha - Pyramids
Secret Surfin' Spot - Dale
King of the Surf - Trashmen
Soul Beat no.2 - Deltas

Tequila, Churchkey, Point Panic, all me likes

"To do, is to be" Aristotle ~ "To be, is to do" Socrates ~ "Doobie, doobie- doo" Sinatra

The Pyramids - Record Run. That one from 1964 Bikini Beach flick.

Man or Astro-Man? - Mermaid Love or Within One Universe There are Millions

King of the Surf/Rey del Surf is always a good call.

I get a kick out of The Ventures version of "Wild Thing" with the Peter Lorre style vocals. The First time I heard it, I broke up laughing, and then listened to it again. Then I called my sister over to hear it. I have no idea how many times I played it that night.

Gotta say that two of my favorites are from the band that first got me into surf, The Ghastly Ones. To me it's a tie between Spookmaster and Brand New Sin.

-Damon.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5