Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
96 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Favorite Vocal by an Instrumental Surf Band

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Howabout "Dance To The Surfing Band" by Hal Blaine and the young cougars--- great tune!!

VicarsOfTwiddly
Howabout "Dance To The Surfing Band" by Hal Blaine and the young cougars--- great tune!!

Too much joyous singing for my liking Smile

OK, if folks aren't willing to consider the vocal contribution in things like Wipeout (two of the three, anyway) or Stoked, let alone things like Move It or Yep as "vocal," I will try to remember to go with the received wisdom for formal purposes. I hope I have made it clear that I don't think or claim these vocal addits amount to a "vocal" in the strict sense - a song.

I have just been suggesting that they make the piece a little more than a pure instrumental. I believe these little acts of vocal turpitude are something of a characteristic of surf "instrumentals," not unlike reverb or tremolo picking.

Another way of looking at it is to say that the vocal bits are a part of the piece as originally performed, not an incident that happened at the same time and got included in the recording by accident. Leaving them out amounts to rearranging the piece, and is an act on a par with rewriting it to provide an organ part or omit a saxophone one or change the number of guitar parts, etc.

Ma, eppuor si muove.

I understand your point Tuck. This is a discussion. We're not making rules.
How about songs that are commonly thought of as instrumentals that contain background "vocals" with no words? I'm thinking "Ghost Riders in the Sky", "Telstar", Los Straitjackets Telstarized version of "My Heart Will Go On", "No Matter What Shape", etc. Any thoughts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdO1KGI-dvo

(Off Topic-sorry) BTW, the song was originally cut by the Wrecking Crew-LA's first call studio guys. Rumor has it that Carol Kaye and Tommy Tedesco changed chairs with Tommy playing bass and Carol on guitar. The band in the video was put together for touring after the song became a hit.

ah hell, if just a line or two that makes a song a vocal song then the journeymen's 'surfer blues' is the best.

the worst surf vocal, the new dimensions 'soul time'. no, wait, 'monster surf.' wait, 'soul flip' yeah definitely soul flip.

Surfer's Blues is pretty awesome. And I agree 100%... The New Dimensions are one of the greatest surf bands ever... but their vocals... yikes!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Tuck, I think you are up to something. I wouldn't reduce the phenomenon just to short vocals, but also to the incorporating of real life sound, like the sound of waves for example or fast going cars on hot rod tunes. More recently I think there is a tendency to incorporate short samples from trashy b-movies - some bands think it being so essential to their songs that they even try to do this on live shows (bands that use live samples are the Messer Chups from Russia or The Irrradiates from France for example).

I might be wrong, but I guess that this is a device to give the songs a sort of meaning (the title is another means to achieve this) without sacrificing the essential instumental nature of their tunes. And it's much more interesting than fully blown up vocals, which annoy me in 99% of the surf bands that do it (normally there is a cause why they are instrumental bands: nobody can sing very well).

In a way, that makes it program music. Instrumental music that is meant to go with an extra-musical piece. Many instrumental classical pieces came with a poem to invoke imagery in the pieces. And I can't see why having a sound clip beforehand is any different.

And surf music is program music in a number of cases, due to the title of the song. Surf music is a program genre, essentially. At least songs who invoke surf imagery are somewhere in between program music and "absolute" music. Which is just instrumental without an specific imagery to the piece.

I think it wrong to call surf songs with samples or voices at the beginning vocal, because they most certainly are not. However, they are not absolute music.

One of my favorite bands, M83, created their own narratives for songs. One song, Car Chase Terror has a female narrating the song, definitely not vocals and it is more so a instrumental song, but it creates the feel of the track.

mtkoltan
I wouldn't reduce the phenomenon just to short vocals, ...

I agree. All kinds of things get added, including engine sounds and lately B movie extracts, just as you say. And adverstising and promotional clips, etc. I'm not sure a definitive classification is possible, but someone should try it. Definitely if a band tries to include it in their live performances you know they consider it a part of the song. I've heard live versions of Wipeout by the Surfaris with The Laugh, for example. The Laugh is part of the original, not a recording incident.

I might be wrong, but I guess that this is a device to give the songs a sort of meaning (the title is another means to achieve this) without sacrificing the essential instrumental nature of their tunes.

At least it's another dimension to the art. The absence of a vocal in the standard sense is a sort of statement, too, and including something that is vocal but anti-lyrical is almost an exageration of that. An intuitive sensitivity to that aspect of it may explain why some people are taken aback when I call these "vocals." I'd be happy to call them something else. In a pinch instrumental will do, but it's more instruments "plus."

And it's much more interesting than fully blown up vocals, which annoy me in 99% of the surf bands that do it (normally there is a cause why they are instrumental bands: nobody can sing very well).

I had sort of a double agenda with this thread, or a fuzzy one. I wanted to point out that surf bands - the originals and the more recent ones, too - have always used their voices a lot more than maybe we admit to ourselves or the non-cognoscenti. Not only do they often just plain sing - produce real vocals, maybe a bit guiltily - but they are usually anything but restricted to their instruments in what we normally think of as "the instrumentals." I think we have fallen into a habit of using that phrase more in the sense of "without a standard lyric" not in the literal sense of "instruments only, no voice."

Surfing band vocals (real ones) used to annoy me too. Some of them were just plain weak vocally or lyrically, but I think a lot of the annoyance came from an exagerated, more or less religious devotion to "instrumentalism." I've been going back and listening to the stuff I used to skip over and a lot of it is actually pretty good. Most of it sounds more like garage bands singing (which it is, really) than the Beach Boys sound, but I think it's always been recognized that the Beach Boys were a bit unusual in the lyrical vein.

I think one problem here is that behind the second wave dictum that real surf music should be instrumental (and guitar instrumental at that) there has been a covert backup position that if it did happen to have vocals then they had to be "Beach Boys vocals" in style and the subject matter had to be surfing, cars, and possibly high school romance. So, things like Hot Pastrami or Louie Louie were not only impure, but disloyally impure.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011 12:31:25

Benny
the worst surf vocal, the new dimensions 'soul time'. no, wait, 'monster surf.' wait, 'soul flip' yeah definitely soul flip.

I didn't ask about the worst because it's really too easy to get personal! I do still have a few candidates. I suppose the Surf Punks' My Beach, though I like the instrumental part.

I've heard that the New Dimensions' vocals were particularly ripe (and that they loathed them, too). However, I've only heard the modern compilation CD, which has been rendered vocally pure. You can still hear some commentary and razzing.

JakeDobner
I think it wrong to call surf songs with samples or voices at the beginning vocal, because they most certainly are not. However, they are not absolute music.

Well, there's a start at a different terminology, but maybe not quite the term I'd like. I think mostly the song is the program. The non-instrumental part is added to that rather than the other way around. Maybe augmented instrumental? Extended instrumental? (See, I'm admitting they are basically instrumental.)

The additions are not always at the beginning, but that is a common pattern. There's one by Al Garcia & the Rhythm Kings, called Pachuko Soul, that is interesting because even though it is formally band chatter -"Spanish soul, oh-oh-ah!" Go, Al, go!" and so on - it actually seems to be a loop. Or else the chatter has verses.

One of my favorite bands, M83, created their own narratives for songs. One song, Car Chase Terror has a female narrating the song, definitely not vocals and it is more so a instrumental song, but it creates the feel of the track.

Sounds sort of like Hemi Charger by "Kill Switch ... Klick, featuring Super Amanda." As a song it's more in the vein of Goofy Footer Ho-Dad - more a recited poem with instumental accompaniment than a song. If I had to divide things along simple vocal vs. instrumental lines I'd call Hemi Charger an instrumental any day.

I've noted in a few other places out here that I've recently picked up both the Thunderchiefs latest, the Interstellar Sounds of and Dig. I find myself going back to both an awful lot.

Anywho, I remember seeing this thread when it started and didn't have anything to add. Until now that is. Every time I hear "Our Last Night" and "Pretty Eyes" from Dig, I think "man, I wonder if anyone wrote those songs in this thread?".

Quick scan through 5 pages and I didn't see 'em. Totally worth resuscitating a thread nearly a year old. Those songs deserve being included in this "tops" list, to be sure!

Catch "Our Last Night" @ about 1:45 in this youtube mini-set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRf4PcffhoQ

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

"Let's Go!" by the Routers (and also the Ventures)...

What HAVE you guys been listening to?

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

My faves, at the moment, are Everet L Pipkin and With Automatic Shutoff by Man or Astro-man?

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Well, since I generally dont care much for vocals in my instrumental music, I submit these two:

"Caveman" by LSJ
"Never get out of the Boat" by Fifty Foot Combo

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

eddiekatcher
"Let's Go!" by the Routers (and also the Ventures)...

ed

I go for this too. Add "So Fine" by The Ventures too.

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

I like the Mobsmen's "Scelerats Syndicate" a lot recently and I noticed, that it's one of those very few surf records I have where I don't skip the vocal tracks, I actually repeat them sometimes. I absolutely love "Holy Gold" and "Raven Girl" !

"Let Me Be the One" by the Shadows. This is a full vocal. It is also their only good vocal. All their other good recordings are instros.

Judged by sales, the most well-liked vocal done by an instrumental group is probably "Sugar Shack" by the Fireballs. I don't care for it, but many fine people do.

Basically this thread is about incongruities. So I should mention the two most incongruous vocals I can recall:
1. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sung by William Shatner
2. "Proud Mary" sung by Leonard Nimoy.
Woof!

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Squid
"Let Me Be the One" by the Shadows. This is a full vocal. It is also their only good vocal. All their other good recordings are instros.

Judged by sales, the most well-liked vocal done by an instrumental group is probably "Sugar Shack" by the Fireballs. I don't care for it, but many fine people do.

Basically this thread is about incongruities. So I should mention the two most incongruous vocals I can recall:
1. "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sung by William Shatner
2. "Proud Mary" sung by Leonard Nimoy.
Woof!

aging myself here Shocked but i remember hearing 'sugar shack' on the radio when i was 5 and the song has stuck with me since then. i just googled it......released in 1963, so i was 11, not 5. musically a long time ago for me.

www.surfintheeye.com

Last edited: Feb 05, 2011 16:52:54

Ah, the Sugar Shack. I have never quite been able to forget it either, though I have tried. I am afraid I was a little older when I first heard it. I hope it was not at the time of the original release, but I have managed to forget when it was if nothing else. Me remembering the Sugar Shack is right in there with my mother remembering "How Much is that Doggy in the Window" from her own youth.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next