Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Pickups-Lace vs Fender..

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

IvanP

JakeDobner
As for your tone, I think you Tsar Wars tone is the most original. On the Madeira I hear Dick Dale and the Atlantics. And Tsar Wars is THE album for me. I prefer Sandstorm to Interstellar, but Tsar Wars to me is an experience. It is almost visual when I listen to it.
Oh! Not that you are ripping off DD or the Atlantics. I think I'm just more into the modern surf tones while Madeira is more like what Jim Messina would have made if he were more mature musically.

Thanks, Jake, I understand what you mean. But what do you think of as "the modern surf tones" and how are they different from the vintage tones? For me, since I started playing surf music I've tried to sound more vintage - when I didn't sound vintage, I fell short of the goal. I think I've been getting closer each time out.

Ivan

There was more of a spacey tone on the Cossacks albums. That is what I mean by modern. The tone sounds more compressed, smoother reverb, less reverb maybe.

Maybe I'm clueless, but I have Lace Sensor Golds in my American Standard Strat, and I love them. I get a killer tone with them. I do have a slightly bluesy bend to my sound, but it twangs up great. Maybe I'd think differently if I experimented with other pups, but as the old saying goes... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used to have a Strat Elite from the 80's, it wasn't 'horrible' but it wasn't good either.
To me it seemed like the Lace pickups in attempting to eliminate noise were removing everything that makes single-coils great. It's like they were trying to emulate humbuckers or something, but still sound Fendery. A little noise and buzz is what Fender single-coils are all about, the Lace p'ups just sounded sterile.

CORRECTION: According to this web page the Elite pickups were not Lace Sensors, oh well, I didn't like them anyway. Very Happy
http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/base/83.html

However, I have heard Lace Sensors on other guitars and had a similar sterile sounding reaction.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

I can't really help much with the original question. But I can share my Lace experience. In 96 I bought a Japanese Mustang re-issue. With the stock pick ups, I hated it. It was dull, flat, and lifeless sounding.

On a whim, I purchased two Lace Red pick ups and installed them. While I wouldn't say they're the best pickups to achieve a vintage single coil sound with, I was pretty happy with them. I was able to achieve a pretty versatile sound that went well clean and with heavy distortion. I don't know how much sense this makes, but while individually each string when plucked seemed to have pretty close to the same volume on either pick up, when strumming bar chords, I'd hear the highs and lows much more than the mids, which is not something I'm used to. Not in a bad way. Just more than with anything I've played before or since.

I still have that Mustang, and while it's not my favorite guitar in my collection, it's probably the most unique sounding.

skeeter
CORRECTION: According to this web page the Elite pickups were not Lace Sensors, oh well, I didn't like them anyway. Very Happy
http://www.stratcollector.com/scn/base/83.html

You know what, after checking this out, it seems that the Tele I played on back in the 1980s had Elite Humbuckers, not the Lace Sensors...they were white featureless briquettes...
the P-Bass, however did have the Lace pickups ...sorry for the eroneous info previously...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2