Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Gear setup and settings?

Page 1 of 1

I am new here and have been enjoying this site very much but my searching skills like my guitar chops need improvement. My current set-up is an G&L Comanche into either a 68 Deluxe or an early seventies Super reverb. Both amps have reverb and vibrato and I use delay (DL4) quit a bit. Now with this set-up why am I not getting the surf rock guitar tone I want? Would an outboard unit make a huge difference and if so is it run before the amp with a line out into the amp? Lastly, how much vibrato (what setting) do I use? Thanks in advance, Big Mike

BigMike
I am new here and have been enjoying this site very much but my searching skills like my guitar chops need improvement. My current set-up is an G&L Comanche into either a 68 Deluxe or an early seventies Super reverb. Both amps have reverb and vibrato and I use delay (DL4) quit a bit. Now with this set-up why am I not getting the surf rock guitar tone I want? Would an outboard unit make a huge difference and if so is it run before the amp with a line out into the amp? Lastly, how much vibrato (what setting) do I use? Thanks in advance, Big Mike

Welcome to the group Big Mike! Cheers

Running an outboard reverb unit before the amp is the key (reverb
output into amp input). Vibrato/tremolo is merely a matter of taste.
Most guys here don't use it that much: selectively for parts of songs,
or occasionally for a whole song. There are a lot of threads here cover-
ing outboard reverb units. Once you go to the outboard reverb, you'll
never go back!

Glad to have you here.

Bob

Bob

yes, i agree. the outboard tank DOES make that much of a difference, it's unbelievable. it basically works like a huge pedal with a power cable instead of batteries, input/output and all.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Thank you! This will help in me quest! Cheers..BigMike

Does the outboard reverb suck tone or is it in parallel with the guitar signal? I don't know why, but I just picture it rolling off massive treble...

www.apollo4.com

SURFmole
Does the outboard reverb suck tone or is it in parallel with the guitar signal? I don't know why, but I just picture it rolling off massive treble...

In my experience it doesn't suck tone at all. If you listen to surf music then you're hearing an outboard reverb. Sounds pretty good to me.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I think Danny hit on the point that it doesn't matter if the tank sucks tone. Personally I don't really remember what something not running through the tank sounds. When playing non-surf I still run it through the tank although on 2-2-2- or so.

Even if it did affect your tone 'negatively' the tank would still be the proper effect for surf.

I don't think it sucks tone if all the controls are turned down, since it is still run through some tubes, it's not like a crappy pedal.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

you cant really discuss it in terms of tone sucking, it processes 100% of the signal (even with all controls at 0). it's basically a preamp. it affects tone for sure, I think it does make the tone a bit darker (when turned dry) but the reverb (when turned up) adds mucho highs so it's for the better. I do what Jake does, most of the time, and Im alsways surprized how different my amps sound when I hear them without the tank in line.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

........if you need reverb you can't avoid the tank!

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

JakeDobner
Even if it did affect your tone 'negatively' the tank would still be the proper effect for surf.

True...I was just wondering if it would be worthwhile to run the tank in parallel with the straight guitar signal to retain the highs.

www.apollo4.com

WR
... it processes 100% of the signal (even with all controls at 0). it's basically a preamp. it affects tone for sure, I think it does make the tone a bit darker (when turned dry) but the reverb (when turned up) adds mucho highs so it's for the better...

hmmmm...so, why even have a reverb unit if you're going to turn the controls to "0"???

the reason i utilize a reverb unit is because i want to effect the signal...

i don't even think about playing unless my reverb controls are all at least at "5" Wink

I've never heard anyone complain it sucks the highs. On the contrary, I've heard more complaints about ice-pick treble.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Page 1 of 1