PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
5 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Do you own a humbucker guitar?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

I have a Gibson ES-137 Classic, an Eastwood Airline Map and a 72 Tele Deluxe reissue.

The Exotics 1994-Current
The Chickenshack - www.wmse.org
www.thedoghouseflowers.com
www.uptownsavages.com

I've got an Epiphone Dot

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I have an Epiphone Dot Studio. I've replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan '59 Model Humbucker, and I'm thinking about replacing the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Jazz Pickup. I can't imagine a humbucker sounding good in surf music, but i have to admit, i like the sound for most everything else.

http://about.me/nicholaus.lee

It's a horrible picture, but this is one of my favorite guitars

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 15:34:37

Sonichris
it's got big belt buckle rash on the back.

I read somewhere in some liner notes that some folks used to rotate their belts to get the buckles off to the side. Is this still done?

A few months ago, when I was going through some back issues, I played it while I was taking some drugs ( for the back pain) and I thought that guitar sounded fantastic - even for surf - when the drugs wore off, i realized it was just the drugs.

This may go a long way toward explaining the post-Surf California sound. I assume you had that in mind?

Tuck

Sonichris
it's got big belt buckle rash on the back.

I read somewhere in some liner notes that some folks used to rotate their belts to get the buckles off to the side. Is this still done?

A few months ago, when I was going through some back issues, I played it while I was taking some drugs ( for the back pain) and I thought that guitar sounded fantastic - even for surf - when the drugs wore off, i realized it was just the drugs.

This may go a long way toward explaining the post-Surf California sound. I assume you had that in mind?

I wear my belt on the right side if I'm planning on tucking in my shirt and playing guitar - I learned about it from an article profiling Larry Weed (original surfaris lead player) It said something to the effect of " Larry was a real cool guy, he wore his belt sideways so he wouldn't scratch his guitar." Off Topic

The drugs I was taking just made me really mellow - everything was awesome - especially my guitar playing. My Les Paul sounds great - just not for traditional surf. No tremolo arm.

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

1) Squier Fat Telecaster (neck humbucker), 2) Ibanez Artcore AG75TBS (2 humbuckers), 3) Squier Bullet Special (single pickup...bridge humbucker), 4) Ibanez JTK2 Jet King (2 coil tapped humbuckers), 5) Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat (single pickup...bridge humbucker), 6) Peavey JF2 EX (2 mini-humbuckers).

So I guess that'd be a "yes" vote, for me, huh? Wink

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

FritzCat
It's a horrible picture, but this is one of my favorite guitars

Yeah baby!!!

2012-2013: FILTHY POLAROIDS

I've got a Black Gibson Les Paul Custom; a sunburst Paul Reed
Smith Custom, a turquiose Reverend Rocco. The Reverend gets
very creditable single coil tones with the coil tap switches: a very
versatile guitar. The PRS has a couple of single coil settings that
are less satisfying. I've been more of a blues rock guy, and surf
is relatively new to me, at least from a playing standpoint. Surf
got me back into single coil guitars, and black-face Fender amps.

Bob

Bob

I have a Gibson 335 copy (my first guitar) and a 1984 LP Custom that I stopped playeing immediately after I got my Telecaster. Now I play my Tele and Strat almost exclusively. But I'm not selling the black beauty in case I change my mind about driven sound one day (or when my kids have to go through that distortion to the pedal phase :)).

I have a Reverend Commando. Its a nice guitar, the humbucker has a coil tap which can sound sortof like a tele.

I, too, have a '77 Ibanez Les Paul copy of the "lawsuit" era, set neck in a burgundy wine finish. It was my first guitar and I rarely play it, but has great tone- original Super 70s pickups... I won't say it compares to a vintage Les Paul but Ibanez really did an amazing job with these copies. And, since I have lived in California, I swear the guitar has dried out and lost weight. I also had a '77 Ibanez flying V, which I very stupidly traded for a now worthless PA. Word to the wise, if you have a nice guitar, never sell it.
--fd

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Even with our drout here in Atlanta, my Les Paul hasn't seemed to loose any weight.......It still feels like a lead (prounced "led" for all you guitar slingers) sled. And boy, does it feel short! ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

eddiekatcher
Even with our drout here in Atlanta, my Les Paul hasn't seemed to loose any weight.......It still feels like a lead (prounced "led" for all you guitar slingers) sled. And boy, does it feel short! ed

Yes - mine ('78 Standard) is really heavy too. I took it out of mothballs for a corporate gig the other week. I got a bad pain in my back by the third set and had to swap to a different guitar. Don't think I can see me using it seriously for gigging anymore... Obviously I'm too old for it now - used to use it a lot.

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

I voted "no"...but I wasn't considering the Danelectro Hodad...but, in reality, the Hodad's a humbucker...

I guess one of my Teles has a Duncan Hot Stack bridge pickup, which is technically a humbucker. I voted no, though...Whoops. Embarassed

I've actually been thinking about installing a Filtertron style pickup in the neck position on another Tele I own...

Other than that, I'm a died in the wool Fender single coil guy. Jazzmasters especially!

estreet

eddiekatcher

Yes - mine ('78 Standard) is really heavy too. I took it out of mothballs for a corporate gig the other week. I got a bad pain in my back by the third set and had to swap to a different guitar. Don't think I can see me using it seriously for gigging anymore... Obviously I'm too old for it now - used to use it a lot.

Ditto, Estreet. My '77 Custom weighs a freakin' ton. It sounds awesome, and was my main axe for a lotta years, but my back just couldn't take it anymore. Back in the 70's everybody thought that heavier guitars had more sustain. Doh! Duh Everybody then was putting humbuckers in their vintage strats and telecasters. Duh Duh Duh There was
a lotta dumb stuff goin'on back then.

Bob

Bob

RobbieReverb
Back in the 70's everybody thought that heavier guitars had more sustain. Doh! Duh Everybody then was putting humbuckers in their vintage strats and telecasters. Duh Duh Duh There was
a lotta dumb stuff goin'on back then.

Bob

Yes - there were a whole lot of good guitars ruined by personal customising in those days! I have some guitar magazines from the '70s and they are full of adverts for 'replacement' parts from companies like Shecter, DI marzio, MightyMite and Badass. Brass was really popular and there were brass versions of everything from pickup surrounds to knobs.
When I bought my '66 tele back in '78 someone had already cut a (square!) hole in the pickguard and put a strat pickup in the front.

Although I'm not adverse to swapping out pickups (if they fit in the original space), I could never see point in all that - and whereas quite a few friends have guitars that have had just about everything you can think of bolted onto, or cut into them over the last twenty-five years or so - my own from that era have survived unscathed.

On the subject of heavy guitars... Back in 85-91 I was working for Hohner in the UK and one of my jobs was to man their stand at the yearly trade show at Olympia in London. One year they had struck up a deal with this guy who was making - wait for it- solid granite guitars! We had them on the stand and I thought they were hilarious because they just weighed a RIDICULOUS amount. A Les-Paul was like a ukelele in comparison.

The guy who made them came in and demoed them to me, going on and on about the sustain - but I had to virtually laugh in his face because he'd just never thought it through to the point of realising that absolutely no-one was ever going to use this guitar that weighed something like 30-40 pounds!

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2