Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Crème de la crème: The very best bands/albums you may not have heard (10+ years ago)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

The Mill Valley Taters were a fun band from the US in the 90s. They used a drum machine for their rhythm section.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Heck, your criteria could cover many posters here on this forum.
So I’ll submit one of my favorites from SG101. The Vara-Tones.
Here’s one of my favorite songs they played.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2023 13:43:11

Since starting this thread, I've been spending a good bit of time dusting off stuff I'd not listened to in a while. Found these 2 that I think are worthy of adding to the list.

For the speedfreaks out there, hard not to get pumped by The Infrareds. They put out 3 albums, however, I've only heard #2 Recorded on Microfilm (2003) and #3 Sounds from the Darkroom (2004).

I also offer The Metalunas. 1999's X-Minus-One, 2000's Swingin' Planet and 2002's Instrumentals of Terror are all really good IMHO. Perhaps my favorite track of all three releases, Terror in Space, linked below.

I'm also now seeing they recorded a 4th release (EP) in 2002 that never got released in 2003 as intended. Green Cookie have put it out as part of a 14 track release (final 4 tracks). Unclear if 1-10 were also recorded in 2002 or since then.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Bonus version of The Red Scare Shock Cool

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Imagine it’s your b-day, yer at a tiki bar.
and you get to see The Infrareds, The Nebulas, and the Volcanics.
one of the best b-days ever.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

^^^^

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Bumping the thread with another contribution ...and an ask.

A 'surf adjacent' nomination from Japan... The Royal Fingers / Wild Eleki Deluxe. Apparently released in Japan in 2000 (Mint Sound) and in the US in 2001 (Del-Fi), their lone LP is a sensational modern example and homage to the legendary Yuzo Kayama and Takeshi Terauchi.

Looks like there are a few reasonably priced copies in places like Discogs market, Musick Stack and eBaY at the moment.

The ask: We've got some good North America and European examples (and now a Japanese one that's not The Surf Coasters (too well known already?). One area that we seem to be lacking - and admittedly my personal geographic blind spot in Surf - bands from Central and South America. Got any?

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Bump

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The entire album "Return of the Hellecasters." This is their first album despite the title. The band is three lead guitarists, somewhat different in range and style. They are backed by unnamed bass and percussion. The three guitarists are John Jorgenson, Will Ray and Jerry Donahue. They play rapidly and expressively, there's nothing mechanical about it. Jorgenson has recorded in a wide variety of music genres. Some actually play strats not telecasters, the John Jorgenson model strat is a prized collector's item.

Each song on the album is terrific and they all sound different. The song genres range widely but mostly in the range of blues-rock, with plenty of reverb and only mild overdrive. It's nothing like heavy metal or hard rock, and there is plenty for surf guitarists to love.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023 12:10:56

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3