Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
298 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
292 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
253 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
186 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
186 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
172 days ago

dp: dude
153 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
108 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
93 days ago

GDW: showman
44 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink The Treble Spankers "Unreleased album tracks" + Rare footage

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

"No Limit"... killer tune!

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Looks like Marcel has added another song that it doesn't appear was released on an album or single. Some cool live performance footage sprinkled in for good measure. Woot! Woot!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Thanks for the back story Niels, very interesting!
Ran

The Scimitars

With mixed feelings given early comment about Frank's view of these recordings, granted I'm not the up-loader, I present several more from this era, including a few more tunes named in Ivan's track list earlier in the thread) for the to-be 3rd album: Track 1, "African Theme", Track 10, "Enola Gay" (OMD cover), Track 11 (per upload comments) "Rosa", and what I'll call Track 13b - a second version of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

In addition, perhaps some of the "?" placeholders in Ivan's list as tracks 6, 7, (possibly 9?), 12 or 14: "Happy House", "Punch & Judy" ("They recorded this little ditty for the National Puppet Show Foundation", also cited as part of the 'to be album'), "Gamba Sagrada", and "Honda 400 Four".

Also:
- "A Young Girl of 16" / "Een Meisje Van 16" - a cover of Boudewijn De Groot (doing the song originally written by Charles Aznavour)
- "Aurora" a song by The Squires (Neil Young's first band and first ever single!) for a Neil Young Tribute album "This Note's For You Too!"
- "The Holy Land", from a 1992 pre-Treble Spankers band The String Phantoms. This, a western vocal tune from that band that band that had future Treble Spankers Frank Gerritsen on lead guitar and Marcel Kruup on drums.

Enjoy!

PS - @Ivan, if you get the chance to check some of these possible add's to the orginal "3rd album" and update your earlier post with any of song names & track #'s, that'd be amazing!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023 13:31:56

Thanks for the bump Fady

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I have never heard of this band until now. Thanks for posting the songs/videos, I am enjoying them.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. EP Louder Than Life coming out soon!

You are welcome. Be sure to go back to the first post too, previous songs/videos from the collection also linked. There's not a ton of availability of their official Treble Spankers releases anymore, granted there is some... A, B, C, D, E

They (edit) went on to become essentially got reincarnated as The Phantom Four several years after The Treble Spankers shut it down. The Phantom Four is also HIGHLY recommended:

https://thephantomfour.bandcamp.com/

Note: They are kind enough to have put out a "best of" of sorts as a free download on Bandcamp - See: El Sonido Exótico de Phantom Four

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023 15:54:36

Yes! Well done, Fady! We can flesh out the tracklist more fully:

1. African Theme
  2. Aguila Dos
  3. Walk Like An Egyptian
  4. Estrella (AKA Aranda de Duero)
  5. Indian Theme Song
  6. Happy House
  7. Gamba Sagrada
  8. Boom Agency
  9. Punch & Judy
  10. Enola Gay
  11. ?
  12. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  13. Joh, Zo, Dus eh...

So, only one mystery track remaining!!

BTW, as far as "Young Girl of 16", I have that one as part of the Toe Rag Sessions.

"Honda 400 Four" and "Aurora" don't sound familiar, I don't think I've heard them before.

Thanks, Fady, making progress!!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023 17:38:35

Ivan, you originally noted 15 tracks total. Are/were there only 13 originally and perhaps some studio cuts not destined for the intended 3rd album?

Also, you don't think track 11 is Rosa? The upload comment from Marcel on Mar 2, 2021 starts with "This is the 11th track of the yet unreleased 3rd album of those instro maestros."

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Ah, shoot, Fady, you're right, I was hurrying and botched it!

OK, here's what I got after a closer look:

1. African Theme
  2. Aguila Dos
  3. Walk Like An Egyptian
  4. Estrella (AKA Aranda de Duero?)
  5. Indian Theme Song
  6. Happy House
  7. Gamba Sagrada
  8. Boom Agency
  9. Punch & Judy
  10. Enola Gay
  11. ?
  12. ?
  13. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  14. Rosa
  15. Joh, Zo, Dus eh...

The 11th track on my CD is not Rosa, it's the 14th track

The 11th track is VERY dark and brooding, with a feedback and scary noises section (and some backwards effects) in the middle that goes on for a minute and a half (in a three and a half minute track).

The 12th track is another ballad, pretty similar to "Estrella." I don't know where I got the title "Aranda De Duero" for "Estrella", but I wonder if that's the title of the 12th track instead and I somehow got them mixed up?

I hope that helps!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 12, 2023 18:44:16

Thumbs Up Cheers

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

I've also just stumbled across these live performance videos. Some significant view counts on YouTube, but I'm pretty sure I've not seen them before... and not for lack of looking!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Forgive the flood today...

The Treble Spankers apparently contributed a song to a Kinks tribute album, "An Animal Kink - A Tribute to The Kinks" (1995).

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

IvanP wrote:

I don't know where I got the title "Aranda De Duero" for "Estrella", but I wonder if that's the title of the 12th track instead and I somehow got them mixed up?

I just remembered where I got the title "Aranda De Duero" - Phantom Frank rerecorded "Estrella" as one of the three bonus tracks for the MuSick reissue of his solo album, and gave it the title "Aranda De Duero". It's obviously the same track, though. Beautiful in both versions, a bit more uptempo on his solo album.

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I put together a YouTube playlist of the 13 tracks available so far from the Treble Spankers' "Gri Gri" unreleased 1997 album, in the same order as they appear on my CD (which i got from their former manager, courtesy of Art Boureassaue of MuSick Recordings).

Here you go - enjoy! Great stuff!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCrNIMaZJAOrm0QKbU9rOXQYDlOZrDCQ3&si=n7D9Sn6kCuBezJrD

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Good on ya, sorting out "Estrella" vs. "Aranda De Duero",Ivan, and Thanks for making that Playlist!

Cheers

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Cheers

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Not much to add to this, but I want to express my appreciation to both Fady and Ivan for their efforts here.

For all you newer members unfamiliar with Treble Spankers and Frank's newer band Phantom Four, I highly recommend them. A master class on making a 4 piece instrumental band accessible to non-surf fans, as well as building songs around the rhythm section. One of the very best!

Danny Snyder

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Formerly a guitarist in The TomorrowMen and Meshugga Beach Party

Latest surf project - Now That's What I Call SURF

Thanks guys!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Woot! Woot! Another 'lost' song posted by Marcel somewhat recently (a few months ago, apparently). Per his YT upload description: "Yet another unreleased track! A couple more to go and the 3rd album is out there in its entirety."

I share with you The Treble Spankers - Moon Scout

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3