Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
258 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
252 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
213 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
146 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
146 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
132 days ago

dp: dude
113 days ago

Bango_Rilla: Shout Bananas!!
68 days ago

BillyBlastOff: See you kiddies at the Convention!
52 days ago

GDW: showman
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

84%

84%

Donate Now

Cake September Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink The Treble Spankers "Unreleased album tracks" + Rare footage

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Looks like in the last year or so Marcel Kruup has uploaded a nice archive collection from the Treble Spankers, including -4- 5 songs indicating they were unreleased album tracks from 1997. Those are the first -4- 5 below. edit: The Bangles / Walk Like An Egyptian cover also appears to be from the "unreleased album track" set too.

I'm not 100% on their discography to know if this ever got out anywhere else, but who cares. Pretty cool stuff!

He's also loaded up some live footage and a 1995 Dutch TV interview. No worries if you don't speak Dutch - some pretty cool footage from what appears to have been their rehearsal space.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 11:31:57

Last edited: Mar 01, 2020 09:06:05

Wow, how incredibly cool!!! thanks, morphball! I actually HAVE this unreleased album! Cool Back in '98 or so, Art B. of MuSick Recordings wanted to release the Treble Spankers stuff in the US, so he started talking to their manager frequently. Unfortunately, the band was imploding at that point, and since they were signed to a major label (Polydor), the label also had zero interest in working with a small company in the US. One good thing that came of it was that the Spankers manager sent a bunch of super-rare and unreleased stuff to Art, who was nice enough to make me copies of it all! (I was the one that turned him on to them, after all...)

The unreleased album was going to be called Gri Gri, and it was completely finished. I believe the major reason why it was shelved was that Phantom Frank developed some really bad tendonitis problems in one of his hands and had to basically stop playing live, at which point the band was finished. With no chance of promotion of the album, Polydor killed it. It's the Treble Spankers, so it goes without saying that it's a good album, but I gotta say that I think it wasn't nearly as good as Hasheeda or even Araban. Though you can definitely hear there the next step in Frank's evolution as a musician to the sound that he more fully developed in the Phantom Four.

Frank's next release was his solo album Dead Man Surfin', which took me a long time to fully appreciate, but now I love it. It's all electronic backgrounds with Frank mostly playing lap steel guitar, due to his injury (though there is some regular electric guitar, too). MuSick did finally work with Frank, releasing that album in the US (as just "Phantom Frank", no title). It had three bonus tracks and one of them was a rerecording of one "Gri Gri" song, here titled as "Aranda de Duero". Great song. (Edit: That's one of the songs above, here titled "Estrella.") That's the only one of "Gri Gri" songs that I believe has been reused by Frank in these past 15 years.

My copy of "Gri Gri" was originally on a cassette, which itself was dubbed from Art's original cassette (and which was probably dubbed from another cassette!). I had it transferred to CD many years ago, but the sound quality is still not so good. I never had the titles for the tracks, either, so the above videos finally fill in some of those blanks! The album did have three covers: the AMAZING version of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service," as heard above, a really cool version of "Walk Like An Egyptian", again as heard above, and the great "Enola Gay" by OMD (which was released as a single before "Gri Gri" was supposed to be released (though possibly a different version, I forget now). 15 songs in total. One was a super-cool all-acoustic flamenco-ish track, and the opening track for the album was a very sub-Saharan-Africa-sounding song, 'highlife' kinda thing. Really cool. I very much hope the whole album gets a full release one day, but until then, I'm very glad that Marcel finally decided to post some of it on YouTube!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 12:41:21

BTW, here's what I now have for the "Gri Gri" album:

1. African song (Gri Gri?)
  2. Aguila Dos
  3. Walk Like An Egyptian
  4. Estrella (AKA Aranda de Duero)
  5. Indian Theme Song
  6. ?
  7. ?
  8. Boom Agency
  9. Flamenco song
  10. Enola Gay
  11. ?
  12. ?
  13. On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  14. ?
  15. Joh, Zo, Dus eh...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 18:26:06

Great context, Patrick! Wink I'd sure love to hear Gri Gri in full some time.

Actually, there's a series of interview footage w/ Frank in 2006 out there, presumably about this period, but that's all in Dutch - except this one. The Dutch versions includes Frank playing an acoustic rendition of Mr G. Added for your viewing pleasure.

PS: for those who speak/understand dutch - that 2006 interview can be found in this series:
part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1dSPLFpnvM
part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dnXG9C2ebI
part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm8myW2nXIw
part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SHIy4_yxYc
part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1GzirJdFdE

And part of the English interview session below, but in Dutch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cKTHXXBk

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 13:01:57

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Great context, Patrick! Wink

Oops! So sorry, fady. Embarassed Trying to handle too much info, went into a bit of a meltdown! At least I got the right state.... Smile

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013 13:02:11

Big Razz

It's all good!

IvanP wrote:

Onslow_Beach wrote:

Great context, Patrick! Wink

Oops! So sorry, fady. Embarassed Trying to handle too much info, went into a bit of a meltdown! At least I got the right state.... Smile

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Very cool to see an English interview of Phantom Frank! Thanks Fady!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Big Grin Hey, I'd love to take credit for this great post! Thanks Fady, I'm going to really enjoy these when I get home!

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

And thanks for the background info, Ivan- I was about to ask if "Gri Gri" was actually supposed to be spelled "Gris Gris" (it's an African protection amulet, which I only know about from a little time I spent in New Orleans), but it can apparently be spelled either way.

Mike
http://www.youtube.com/morphballio

Fady, thanks again so much, and also for the interview clip and the Mr. G acoustic live clip - I loved that! I think I may have preferred that to the full-band album version! You can really hear the beauty of the song when it's this stripped down...

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

morphball wrote:

And thanks for the background info, Ivan- I was about to ask if "Gri Gri" was actually supposed to be spelled "Gris Gris" (it's an African protection amulet, which I only know about from a little time I spent in New Orleans), but it can apparently be spelled either way.

I honestly have no idea, Mike. That's the spelling I was given on the cassette, so who knows. I think I looked into it some years ago, and I believe there was a Dr. John album by the name of Gris Gris, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reference to that there. Well, maybe one day we'll find out....

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Thanks so much for all of this, fady! Just can't get enough Spankers!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Did anyone ever notice this odd yet cool track? I personally like it!

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Cool, Brandon! That's actually the final track on my Gri Gri album. Now I know its title! Thanks!

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Glad to be of service buddy! Big Grin I think you were the one who turned me onto these guys in the first place back in the 90's after all.

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

This is great. How do you suppose he got the sitar-like sound? Is it an effect or a Coral Sitar?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

That acoustic version of Mr. G was pretty sweet.

Has Frank ever spoken about his recovery from his RSSI?

Has Frank ever posted on SG101?

would be cool if somebody could get him to see this thread, and speak about this stuff, and answer questions.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

To my knowledge Phantom Frank is not a member here. I had thought that perhaps there was a language barrier, but after seeing that video interview, I see he speaks English just fine, which bodes well for the future.

I do remember another member of the Phantom Four joining and posting a few times. Was it the drummer?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013 08:37:38

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next