Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink I play with 13s and I have a question about bends.

Page 1 of 1

I started playing with 13s on a Jazzmaster about 3 years ago. I used to play bass so I actually like 13s. However, my guitar teacher says I should go smaller if I want to do bends. Is it possible to do bends with 13s? I have pretty big hands. I feel like I can do them okay. The other thing is my teacher says to use two fingers and push up when bending but I tend to pull down. I am not trying to be difficult, but I was just curious as to what you guys think. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021 19:46:00

Radius of the neck has a lot to do with the how well you can bend a note. Also flats don't bend as well as rounds, though that's only on the bottom 4 strings obviously.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Sonic_Blue wrote:

I started playing with 13s on a Jazzmaster about 3 years ago. I used to play bass so I actually like 13s. However, my guitar teacher says I should go smaller if I want to do bends. Is it possible to do bends with 13s? I have pretty big hands. I feel like I can do them okay. The other thing is my teacher says to use two fingers and push up when bending but I tend to pull down. I am not trying to be difficult, but I was just curious as to what you guys think. Thanks.

Stevie Ray Vaughan used 13s, albeit tuned down a half-step. I would advise being cautious. Bending puts strain on your hands and the thicker the string, the greater the stress. In most cases, I push the string and if it’s a fourth-finger bend, I reinforce it with my third finger. On rare occasion, I have used my second finger to help my third finger. Only rarely do I pull strings to band them, but it is viable.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Do you have a Strat you can put rounds on? Maybe 10’s? That will feel very slinky compared to your JM 13’s and give you a sonic change as you switch from one guitar to another during your set as the various songs require.

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

I do not. I just have my 2 parts Jazzmasters set up with 13s, rounds.

Did your teacher ever play with your guitar the way it is set up now? I have a Strat and a Jazzmaster, both of which I use with the same strings at the moment (roundwound 10s), but on the Jazzmaster they feel much lighter. This is the result of the construction of the JM bridge/vibrato with its shallow break angle and additional string lenght behind the bridge. Strengthwise bendings are almost too easy on the JM, but there seems to be less pitch change in relation to the width of the bend, which makes large bends difficult, because you can only go so far on the fret board.

But then again, I don't need large bends tonplay surf music...

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Page 1 of 1