PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
181 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
159 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
127 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
121 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
82 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
15 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
15 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink 10 year old surf guitarist gigging with daddy on stage

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWB4fiAyHiM

Hi all, it's the first time we post here. Hope you like the performance this 10 year old surf music lover Mina Pang does on stage. Tell us what you think as my daughter would appreciate some comments and encouragement.

Cheers, stay health and safe, and surf on!

PangPang

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020 13:59:06

That’s great. She did a nice job playing and seems to have a real gift for getting a good sound.

One thing I really love to see is children enjoying music. I’ve played some gigs in venues that were family friendly and always enjoyed seeing the reaction of children to live music. Seeing children playing music is even better. It’s a great activity for kids. One thing that I’ve noticed is that girls seem to be playing guitar more these days, than in generations past.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I'm impressed that she played the higher lead section at the 7th position rather than near the end of the neck. Her performance kept my interest and I enjoyed it.

Here are a couple of ways to use the Beat Buddy better (I use one): Under its category "oldies" you can get a proper 60s (surf) beat. It is much easier to use if you sit on a "stage chair" and stabilize the position of the Beat Buddy so it doesn't slide around. Using plastic foam packing materials I made a Beat Buddy holder that my foot rests on. With my foot resting on it my foot also rests just above the beat buddy's pedal. When I press down on the holder and compress the plastic foam I also press down on the beat buddy pedal. I have an illustrative video about it on Youtube. If you like I can state the link.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020 11:27:16

It's the same here over on this side of the world. More girls are playing the guitar, bass and drums too, which is good. We go to a guitar store and the shop people always tell us how few people play now comparing to the past, cos all kids now only want to play with their phones.

Perhaps still some people know how much fun it could be to form a band and play live music. Wink Ofc, if it's surf, it's even better.

synchro wrote:

That’s great. She did a nice job playing and seems to have a real gift for getting a good sound.

One thing I really love to see is children enjoying music. I’ve played some gigs in venues that were family friendly and always enjoyed seeing the reaction of children to live music. Seeing children playing music is even better. It’s a great activity for kids. One thing that I’ve noticed is that girls seem to be playing guitar more these days, than in generations past.

I'm impressed that she played the higher lead section at the 7th position rather than near the end of the neck. Her performance kept my interest and I enjoyed it.

We glad you like her performance. I tell ya. She plays at the 7th fret cos she tried and thinks it sounds better. She plays the lead guitar better than me now so i guess it's okay. ;p

Here are a couple of ways to use the Beat Buddy better (I use one): Under its category "oldies" you can get a proper 60s (surf) beat.

That's where we found what we need. It's not bad at all.

It is much easier to use if you sit on a "stage chair" and stabilize the position of the Beat Buddy so it doesn't slide around. Using plastic foam packing materials I made a Beat Buddy holder that my foot rests on. With my foot resting on it my foot also rests just above the beat buddy's pedal. When I press down on the holder and compress the plastic foam I also press down on the beat buddy pedal. I have an illustrative video about it on Youtube. If you like I can state the link.

That's good information! That'd be great to see a video. When we practice, we sit down of course but when we gig, she likes standing and in fact, we want to do one of those Ventures moves ;pppp Don't laugh, it took us like over half a year to learn how to play the guitar standing.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020 12:49:16

PangPang wrote:

It's the same here over on this side of the world. More girls are playing the guitar, bass and drums too, which is good. We go to a guitar store and the shop people always tell us how few people play now comparing to the past, cos all kids now only want to play with their phones.

Perhaps still some people know how much fun it could be to form a band and play live music. Wink Ofc, if it's surf, it's even better.

synchro wrote:

There’s a young lady from the Denver area, named Bella Spielmsn, that plays Chet Style quite well. She’s an astounding player.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

She plays great! Seriously, you should be really proud. Also, it took me a while to learn how to play standing up as well. Laughing

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Don't laugh too much. And it took us another 6 months just to practice smiling during gigs. LOL!!! No kidding.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

She plays great! Seriously, you should be really proud. Also, it took me a while to learn how to play standing up as well. Laughing

Very cool!
Please tell Mina that she is sounding great! I can see that she has put in a lot of practice.

It's rare for young people to appreciate surf music. Cool to see that she is carrying the flame for the next generation.

Best regards, keep rockin'
Dave

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020 21:13:12

I posted in the other thread too, but you and she have reason to be proud. Great playing!

Neptune Trojans

She digs it and she practices with me a lot. She understand smartphones could be (well, are) as bad as opium so she isn't touch one too often. I told her since she is not playing with the phone at all, let's play some surf music. She thought it was a good idea...

You are right, Dave, I hope the younger generation will start to do more surf music. That's why Mina is helping a few of her friends and classmates with playing the bass and rhythm guitar. These other girls thought it'd be pretty cool to gig like her (they have watched her live a few times on stage) so hopefully, other than gigging with me, Mina will get to jam with other girls her age soon. Still no drummer, cos it's a pain to haul drums around I am sure... Laughing But Beatbuddy will do.

Ray Wink

SandBug wrote:

Very cool!
Please tell Mina that she is sounding great! I can see that she has put in a lot of practice.

It's rare for young people to appreciate surf music. Cool to see that she is carrying the flame for the next generation.

Best regards, keep rockin'
Dave

Thx, BrentD!

BrentD wrote:

I posted in the other thread too, but you and she have reason to be proud. Great playing!

This video shows the beat buddy in the foot rest I constructed. My foot relaxes on the foot rest when I do not press on the pedal. The beat buddy does not slide away when I press on it because the holder keeps it in place. Without the holder it slides forward with each press.

The holder also prevents unintentional removal of the SD memory card from its slot. It is too easy to accidentally eject this memory card without something added protecting it.

The video shows how I use these in live performances and rehearsals to accompany my song "Waterfall." As the song proceeds I depress the foot pedal more frequently, especially during the bridge. I don't use the beat buddy in my cd albums.

Many variations are possible in the beat buddy holder. I made this one from closed cell foam (the large flat part) and packing foam (what's under my foot) that I happened to have on hand. Size 12D shoe.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020 11:54:18

Thanks Squid!!! Good tips!!! We enjoy the song too!!!! Thank you!

Ray Wink

Squid wrote:

This video shows the beat buddy in the foot rest I constructed. My foot relaxes on the foot rest when I do not press on the pedal. The beat buddy does not slide away when I press on it because the holder keeps it in place. Without the holder it slides forward with each press.

The holder also prevents unintentional removal of the SD memory card from its slot. It is too easy to accidentally eject this memory card without something added protecting it.

The video shows how I use these in live performances and rehearsals to accompany my song "Waterfall." As the song proceeds I depress the foot pedal more frequently, especially during the bridge. I don't use the beat buddy in my cd albums.

Many variations are possible in the beat buddy holder. I made this one from closed cell foam (the large flat part) and packing foam (what's under my foot) that I happened to have on hand. Size 12D shoe.

PangPang wrote:

Ray Wink

Sure, Ray. Here's a video of my guitar work on this song. My studio version can be heard on Spotify, Pandora Radio, and other streamers.

Conrad Big Grin

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020 15:14:35

Squid wrote:

PangPang wrote:

Ray Wink

Sure, Ray. Here's a video of my guitar work on this song. My studio version can be heard on Spotify, Pandora Radio, and other streamers.

Conrad Big Grin

OMG a Steinberger! I just flashed back to 1989 when I had one. It's got a great surf tone- I never would have guessed.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020 21:03:54

Hi Conrad,

It's very enjoyable watching you play. I told Mina she has to work harder to play well like you. Boy, love the splashy sound!!!! Cheers!

Ray ;-))

Squid wrote:

PangPang wrote:

Ray Wink

Conrad Big Grin

I just found out it's your own original music! Wow! Very impressive!!!

Ray Wink

Squid wrote:

PangPang wrote:

Ray Wink

Conrad Big Grin

PangPang wrote:

I just found out it's your own original music! Wow! Very impressive!!!

Ray Wink

Thanks, Ray, and thanks also for your thoughtful comments on Youtube. They mean a lot to me.

Because you played "Journey to the Stars" you may find useful this rearrangement for 3-piece band of guitar, bass and drums: https://youtu.be/SyVt3VcABXU

These days the live performance version of my band The Insanitizers is guitar, bass guitar and Beat Buddy. You can get the same full band sound if you accompany your daughter on bass. You can use a Roland or Boss digital multi-effects device to get good bass guitar emulation with regular electric guitar.

A possible reason for your daughter to play high on the neck is the frets are closer together. She might enjoy playing a 24" scale strat type guitar, I've seen some offered for $100 or less new.

I'm just trying to be helpful.

Best wishes,
Conrad

If you two had a couple of synchronized steps that would be a real element of "showbiz" that would be super catchy on a song or two. So fun seeing the dad/daughter combo. Go cats go!

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Goto Page: 1 2 Next