PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
180 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
127 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
15 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
15 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
20 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf is my go-to music for driving.

Page 1 of 1

Here in landlocked W. Central Florida, where the nearest beach sports massive 2-7 inch waves, and the mosquitoes wait for windless moments to carry you away... surf inspiration has to come solely from surf music.

It's not like anyone pointed me to it. I had to remember hearing it (where?) during childhood, find the song names and the recordings, and then keep seeking out more examples.

Sometime in the late Eighties I realized that the original Chantays' Pipeline was the ULTIMATE "drive awarely" music for me. With commutes bordering on 2 hours each, and iPod playlists some 25 years in the future, you had to make song choices COUNT on a mix tape.

I invariably found that surf selections were never clunkers. Never, ever. Out on the roads where it mattered, the surf songs were the most epic, the most groovin.'

Sometimes I'd just listen to the ride cymbal - sometimes, just the guy in The Astronauts who played the drippy "tick tick tick tick." Many times it was the reverb I marveled at. Where did the guitar end, and the reverb begin?

Some surf tunes possess both an exquisitely minor melody AND a rocking attitude that I took to like lifeblood. "Surf Rider," "Mr. Moto," this means you.

Others were so explosive that no other kinds of music mattered. When I first heard "Misirlou," nothing else in the world sounded heavy anymore. (P.S. to a kid who grew up on early Sabbath)

Others yet have an attitude that I will never tire of. "Mr. Rebel"

And there's something about the recording quality that I loved more the more I heard it. The sound of old surf spoiled me so that nothing else sounded that great anymore.

These findings led me to explore the genre (blindly and alone), and soon I had a very modest collection of tunes good enough for an ALL-SURF mix tape.

Predictably, this became the mix tape that mattered. A trip to the beautiful Smoky Mountains proved this beyond doubt. Surf music is just as epic when descending a foggy hill into a gorgeous valley. It sounds just as cool heard while driving in the rain, eating the licorice from the old-time general store.

I can't imagine what it's like in California, where this music was born. I can only imagine the waves and the hills (mountains?) and deserts and beaches, and let the drip of the guitar take me where it can.

It's always somewhere sad, mysterious and yet pleasant.

--

Well, sometimes it's funny.

I found "Sleeper" by The Trashmen and it was both epic and hilarious to me - the perfect soundtrack for my not-so-speedy, safe drives sround this coast's hideous traffic.

When I found out that the Trashmen were from Minnesota, I was so stoked. They were fellow landlocked surf lovers like me - just, thirty years earlier.

--

Even just last year, I found some more first wave tunes, mentioned by members of this site, that blew me away and inspired months of daily listens on my commute. "Everybody Up," "Ali Baba," "Pintor" and "Harem Bells" hit me HARD, decades after I'd decided this must be the best music of all time.

Thank you, surf music, for accompanying my best drives, and for keeping me safe out there.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017 12:37:53

Yep! Great story. Surf's the music I listen to most when driving. But I have to use cruise control, otherwise I just drive way too fast.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Good stuff!
I've only been listening to surf for about 2-3 years and it's increasingly all I listen to.
I hate to drive but surf makes it much more enjoyable.

Very nicely told; thanks for sharing. Cool

FWIW, surf music is the only music that gets played in MY car. And, like Noel, I have to watch the speed sometimes. (I have one of those vehicles that is really "happy" at about 83mph.) Each song has something that carries a momentary mood with it. It's the first musical style I've found that actually has me thinking of a vehicle upgrade so I could have one of those fancy-schmancy audio things that I could just load up with a zillion songs.

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I'm with you Noel and Wes on that speed control thing. Early albums by Chicago (as in CTA) can produce the same result in my van.

Both will keep me alert in the middle of the night.

Reverbs!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I love to listen to some classy trad surf, or relaxing mellow surf
While cruising south on PCH from Oceanside to San Diego.
Parts of OC or LA are ok too, Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Try it while remodeling a house. I did this back from 07-2010 and it was always my go to music choice. I just didn't want to hear anybody whining about their crap while I was trying to focus on my work. The energy kept me going while hanging drywall and fishing wire through joists.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

One of my favorite driving albums is The Bambi Molesters "As Darkness Swells", I feel it is the perfect sound track for a late night drive.

I think I'm in the vast minority of people here who play surf by accident, and don't really listen to it at all.
Aside from woodshedding our own stuff, and playing a few classics for the ComedyX house band gig, MOAM is the only stuff i listen to on my own, and many here would argue that they technically aren't surf, and I might be inclined to agree.

so, why do I frequent this place? The answer is hazy, but I am certainly a gear geek, and it's definitely in our best interest as a band to keep some thumb on the pulse of the scene, right?

Surf is great for driving but for the really wild stuff I never found myself in a situation where I ever really had to drive that fast. So far my car has never had to outrun the apocalypse. And evacuating hurricanes is definitely not a high-adrenaline thing.

However, I recently started flying racing drones. If they were around 50 years ago I'm convinced quadcopter music would be a subgenre. Finally a sport worthy of the music.

Here's a flight that I synced up to Austin Transit Authority. Would probably fit better to a better pilot.
https://www.facebook.com/hunter.king/videos/vb.4200028/10100447093577723/?type=2&theater&viewas=100000686899395

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Sep 06, 2017 11:03:58

Page 1 of 1