PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
195 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
174 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
142 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
136 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
96 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
30 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
30 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
16 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

92%

92%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fender Goldene strings?

Page 1 of 1

A while back I bought a big box of strings from a music store that was downsizing. Like, 100+ sets. Mostly from the late 60s and early 70s I think. Many brands, from D-Aquisto to Roy Smeck, to Gibson, Guild, some weird ones.
Included were many sets of Fender "Goldene" strings. They are a sort of flatwounds, but the windings are a gold color and the unwound strings are a, well, gold or copper color. They feel a little "sticky", plasticky. They are incredibly heavy gauge. Like, a .060 low E with a .014 on the top. They have no date on them, but I'm thinking they are from the late 60s?
What were these strings intended for? What Fender instrument? Jazzmasters and Jaguars? I put some on my Jaguar and they worked well and sounded good, if a little unwieldy to play. They seem too light for a Bass VI, but way too heavy for most other guitars. Did they come standard on any guitars of the day?
Anybody else tried 'em? Any info appreciated. I have found no info online about these strings. (Only my own posts from years ago...) Will post images when I get home...

It would be interesting to see a pic of the packaging. Mr. Fender originally designed the JM's bridge for very heavy strings of the day, and the original .013's on the Cliff Richard Strat was part of Hank's migration to loving that vibrato bar. Hard to tell without seeing. Even in the early 60's they were also dabbling in an acoustic line (the apparently forgettable Wildwood guitars). Quick perusal of Wheeler's & Smith's refs on my bookshelf didn't yield much more.

Sounds from your previous postings that they work, though. Smile

Wes
SoCal ex-pat with a snow shovel

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

I was thinking they could be bronze wound for acoustic but looking on line there is such a thing gold plated strings. Searching for Goldene doesn't bring any rewards but Fender printed yearly string catalogues dating back to the 1960s. Here a 1969 catalogue scan, there might be others.

crumble wrote:

I was thinking they could be bronze wound for acoustic but looking on line there is such a thing gold plated strings.

I would not put it past a marketing person to characterize 'bronze' as 'Goldene'.
Laughing

That catalog page is a cool find, hadn't thought of string listings.
Thumbs Up

Wes

DISCLAIMER: The above is opinion/suggestion only & should not be used for mission planning/navigation, tweaking of instruments, beverage selection, or wardrobe choices.

Google search with "vintage fender guitar strings" and use the image option, you'll be able to view this catalogue without eye strain.

Do they have a wound third? They could be acoustic strings.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

these were flatwound strings I had a set pyramid still makes them

Facebook pages theSupertones
or @ Timothy C Sullivan

Dick Dale Plays 16-60,
Admittedly that's super heavy,
But doable.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Hey all...

I took some snaps of the Fender Goldene packages. Doesn't say acoustic on the package. What acoustic would you put flatwounds on? Something with a pickup? I've heard that Gibson J-160s used flatwounds. Yes to the wound 3rd... Also included the insert listing other Fender strings of the time. Hmm, guess I should take a micrometer to them all and figure out the gauges. I see that these are included in the list of sets posted above as #60 - gold label flatwound.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016 20:10:28

The JM headstock shape and the FMI reference in Santa Ana (vice Fullerton) make me think late 50's, or very early 60's.

Wes

If it says "spanish guitar" on the cover, it is maybe for a classical guitar?
Do they have a steel core or nylon?
The only thing confusing is the ball end, classic guitar strings don´t usually have ball ends...

btw. why do you buy such old strings? Weren´t you afraid of getting only corroded wire? I have recently found some strings that were "only" 10+ years old, and they were nothing but rust...

cheers
LoeD

here comes the WEST SAMOA SURFER LEAGUE

Didn't Fender advertize the Telecaster as an "electric Spanish guitar"? Probably to avoid confusion with "other" guitars like Hawaiian or Pedal Steel (and later Bass) "guitar".

Oh, and I see in the list nylon strings for classical guitars are listed a bit below (No. 100), while the Goldenes are No. 60.

I think, Tim is right: For some reason some people thought golden flatwounds would be nice.

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016 04:50:29

The term Spanish guitar is as Simon pointed out. Early on it differentiated from the steel guitar (Hawaiian/lap-steel, etc.). In fact several of the patents involved in the iterations of Esquire & its children are applied for in terms of an electrified Spanish guitar.

Wes

Badger wrote:

The term Spanish guitar is as Simon pointed out. Early on it differentiated from the steel guitar (Hawaiian/lap-steel, etc.). In fact several of the patents involved in the iterations of Esquire & its children are applied for in terms of an electrified Spanish guitar.

Gibson SG = Spanish Guitar

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

LoeD:
The music store where I got these was cleaning out the back room. About 200 varioius sets were in a big cardboard box: $50 for the whole thing. I've been using them for about 3 years now. Every once in a while I find one that's a bit dead, but nothing rusted. Almost all are in very good condition. Many "generic" sets of electric lights (branded Ampeg, Roy Smeck, D'Merle, D'Addario, LaBella) plus various Yamaha, Gibson, Guild, E.O. Mari, etc.) Must be 30 sets of D'Addario electric "medium" with a .056 on the bottom. I've been experimenting making different sets with or without wound G, "Hendrix" sets with weird gauges, etc. Since I have so many they are almost throwaway. Great for intense pre-gig practice: hammer on a set for a week, then put a fresh modern set on for the gig. See attached pics for a few other examples. Super Bullets >acoustic<?!?
Will post more of the weird ones.I plan on mounting a bunch of the packages in a frame, will make a cool display.

Those strings would look great on a shoreline gold guitar Smile What do they sound like, compared to others? Warm? Bright? Dull?

Of course it's alive, you cannot make music with dead Muppahones! -- Marvin Suggs

Page 1 of 1