PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
190 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
168 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
137 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
130 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
91 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
24 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
24 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

52%

52%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Quilter travelling rig

Page 1 of 1

Good afternoon,

Summer is approaching. For traveling, I'm looking for a Quilter head that's around $250 used. I think I've narrowed it down to the 101 Mini and SuperBlock US. This will be for surf & 60's garage. Which amp would be your choice?

• 101 Mini is recommended 60-100 watts (Surf mode goes up to 100w; can this be attenuated by the Master or does that sound too compressed?). It sounds like some members prefer the Lead mode versus Surf.

• SuperBlock US is 25 watts

Question #2... I have an empty 10" closed-back cab; which speaker would be your choice? Ceramic California with paper dome?

Thank you for any info.

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024 15:51:19

I currently play lead for a 1st wave surf band. (First Wave Hodads). I have used a Quilter 101 mini thru a Quilter BlockDock 10TC. Super light weight and sounds great! No more lugging a '64 Fender Bandmaster around. It works fine for rehearsal and small gigs. I added a Quilter BlockDock 12 for a little more volume like outdoor car shows. I am a big Quilter fan and now have 3 amps and 3 speaker cabinets to mix and match.
Yes the 101 mini has a learning curve but once you figure it out its versatile. My reverb is a Surfybear Compact. Hope this helps.

give me 3-fingers of 1st Wave SURF

Last edited: Mar 01, 2024 16:57:38

Dirk, I appreciate your feedback. I regret not getting it when it was the Stupid Deal Of The Day.

Here’s two deals:
https://www.sweetwater.com/used/listings/154335-used-quilter-labs-quilter-101-mini-head

https://www.sweetwater.com/used/listings/149302-used-quilter-labs-tone-block-202-200-watt-head

Kitten and The Tonics

https://kittenandthetonics.com/

I use my Superblock US as a travel rig, and also have a 10” speaker in a cabinet. My choice for speaker on this custom cab is from Warehouse Guitar Speakers. https://wgsusa.com/collections/american-vintage/products/10-g10c-s-75-watt

The Superblock is great for running direct through a PA, or can be miked for bigger stages when you want to play through a speaker. For fly in gigs I just take the Superblock.

I am really happy with the rig.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

I have a Micro Pro Mach II with the 8" and a 101 Mini head and it's the Mini head I use at my weekly gigs. I keep everything at about 12 o'clock and never had to go louder. I use the surf setting because I think it is a little darker and fuller sounding. I've used an EVM-12L and a 12" Eminence Lil' Texas neodymium but I'm happiest with a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex which has a darker tone that helps keep things from getting too bright. Even though it's only rated for 50 watts I never go past the 10 watts on the amp and it is loud.

revmike wrote:

I use my Superblock US as a travel rig, and also have a 10” speaker in a cabinet. My choice for speaker on this custom cab is from Warehouse Guitar Speakers. https://wgsusa.com/collections/american-vintage/products/10-g10c-s-75-watt

The Superblock is great for running direct through a PA, or can be miked for bigger stages when you want to play through a speaker. For fly in gigs I just take the Superblock.

I am really happy with the rig.

Rev

I appreciate all feedback that’s been given. I’m gonna go with the Quilter Labs SuperBlock US. It’s small enough to mount to mini pedalboard (with room for two pedals and use the same power supply for backyard/living room jamming). Otherwise just have the guitar in a gig bag and 10” cab.

My gear setup is a SuperBlock US, a Quilter 101 amp, a Blockdock 15, and a Surfybear Metal. All of this gear is fantastic for surf but I tend to use the Superblock more than the 101. Both are great but the Superblock is quicker and easier to dial in. And despite it being lower wattage, it’s plenty loud for my purposes. Granted I’m not playing shows currently, but decently loud band practice and the superblock is staying plenty clean enough for me. I find the surf setting on the 101 almost too scooped for my hands and rig, maybe it’s that big 15” speaker and my boomy touch, but I’m constantly dialing out more bass from my quilter amps. I’m still learning to dial in tones with my ears and not my eyes. I think I always have to add mids to find the sound I’m looking for. I hope you enjoy the Superblock. Ive been using quilter amps for over 10 years now and they’ve always given me what I want.

archimedes wrote:

My gear setup is a SuperBlock US, a Quilter 101 amp, a Blockdock 15, and a Surfybear Metal. All of this gear is fantastic for surf but I tend to use the Superblock more than the 101. Both are great but the Superblock is quicker and easier to dial in. And despite it being lower wattage, it’s plenty loud for my purposes. Granted I’m not playing shows currently, but decently loud band practice and the superblock is staying plenty clean enough for me. I find the surf setting on the 101 almost too scooped for my hands and rig, maybe it’s that big 15” speaker and my boomy touch, but I’m constantly dialing out more bass from my quilter amps. I’m still learning to dial in tones with my ears and not my eyes. I think I always have to add mids to find the sound I’m looking for. I hope you enjoy the Superblock. Ive been using quilter amps for over 10 years now and they’ve always given me what I want.

I have the same setup, but with the Tone Block 202. That 15 is absolutely amazing. I keep the bass at 9 o’clock. The Vint setting cuts. I can’t remember if the 101 has that too.

Kitten and The Tonics

https://kittenandthetonics.com/

Anyone using an Oceans 11 with their SuperBlock US? Been trying to find spring reverb & SuperBlock videos on YouTube, but there aren’t a lot.

I have a 6G15, but that’s staying at home.

TallTenor wrote:

archimedes wrote:

I have the same setup, but with the Tone Block 202. That 15 is absolutely amazing. I keep the bass at 9 o’clock. The Vint setting cuts. I can’t remember if the 101 has that too.

Oh, Nice! The original 101 non reverb doesn’t have a vintage setting but I believe the surf setting is probably pretty similar. I believe the surf is intended to sounds like a 60s Twin voicing. Could be wrong about that, though. I agree with you on the 15 speaker. I was looking for something JBL-esque and I believe I found it based on what Surfer Joe says about this speaker.

Last edited: Mar 03, 2024 18:15:41

I’m digging the SuperBlock US. Does anyone use XLR to USB-C for recording?

Last edited: Mar 09, 2024 15:14:28

For question #2, I LOVE Jupiter speakers. I stick them in everything that I can - my Tonemasters don't quite take to them very nicely, but Tonemasters are a different thing

Anyways, Jupiter Speakers are killer, in this ape's estimation.

Bango Rilla!

DiPintos, Fenders and Reverb (oh, my!)

The GO-GO Rillas
Bandcamp | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | TikTok | Threads: thegogorillas

BenPerkins wrote:

Good afternoon,

Summer is approaching. For traveling, I'm looking for a Quilter head that's around $250 used. I think I've narrowed it down to the 101 Mini and SuperBlock US. This will be for surf & 60's garage. Which amp would be your choice?

• 101 Mini is recommended 60-100 watts (Surf mode goes up to 100w; can this be attenuated by the Master or does that sound too compressed?). It sounds like some members prefer the Lead mode versus Surf.

Question #2... I have an empty 10" closed-back cab; which speaker would be your choice? Ceramic California with paper dome?

Thank you for any info.

Hi, as you might know I am a Quilter proud endorser and I have been using these amps a lot, everywhere and in any configuration. I am not sure what you play exactly but none of those two heads are enough for surf. Certainly not the superblock and probably the 101 in the most powerful config you can use it (100W). This at maximum power is half the headroom of the tone block 202.

My recommendation is to review your choices. But obviously it also depends where you have to play. Are you doing shows? Or just playing with it while traveling? Sorry it the not clear to me.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

BenPerkins wrote:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for any info.

Hi, as you might know I am a Quilter proud endorser and I have been using these amps a lot, everywhere and in any configuration. I am not sure what you play exactly but none of those two heads are enough for surf. Certainly not the superblock and probably the 101 in the most powerful config you can use it (100W). This at maximum power is half the headroom of the tone block 202.

My recommendation is to review your choices. But obviously it also depends where you have to play. Are you doing shows? Or just playing with it while traveling? Sorry it is not clear to me.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

surferjoemusic wrote:

BenPerkins wrote:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for any info.

My recommendation is to review your choices. But obviously it also depends where you have to play. Are you doing shows? Or just playing with it while traveling? Sorry it the not clear to me.

Good afternoon, I appreciate your feedback. No large gigs, just a couple backyard events and also recording. I went with the SuperBlock US. Thus far I mainly like the ‘65 setting with reverb about 60% up, also using an Oceans 11 for a little extra drip. I wonder how it would sound with a Topanga…

For speaker, I went with the WGS G10 C/S recommended earlier, which is great.

Playing the next 2 nights at Le Diamant in Quebec City with my US Superblock. Pedals are an MxR Carbon Copy, and Soul Food. Sounds great and is easy to fly with.

Her’s a pic of the theatre during set up (600 plus, and sold out). Not a surf show lol

Info on the show. https://www.lediamant.ca/en/programming/sky-dancers

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024 17:47:21

The older I get, the more I appreciate and use Quilter products. Recently, I have been using two individual 1x15 4 Ohm compact cabinets powered by my ToneBlock 202. It's not made for 2 Ohms, but so far so good. Laughing

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Page 1 of 1