Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink INSTRO SUMMIT 2011 April 29-May 1st. Chapel Hill, NC!

Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Awesome, note to self, bring guitar, brush up on Rumble....

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

artS......check your pm's

www.surfintheeye.com

4:45 am. Hitting the high road to Chapel Hill, NC

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Planning to get there Saturday with a Ventures guitar and semi-adequate skills for the Rumble Jam! and hang around for Sunday. Major guitar auction here in eastern NC (only 20 miles from my house) on Saturday morning keeps me from showing up Friday. Hope I can get one of those. Or two.

Mosrite87

The Monterreys are reallllllllly looking forward to the Instro Summit !!!!!
I'll be there on Saturday with the drummer to check out all the great bands
and do tha Rumble jam !!!!!!!!
I also look forward to meeting and hanging out with a lot of the dudes and dudettes from the SG101 forum !!!!!!!
See on Saturday !!!!

Johnny Rocket
The Monterreys !
http://www.youtube.com/user/THEMONTERREYS?feature=mhum

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011 15:37:30

The Surge! departs Big A at 08:30 Saturday April 30...................

Estimated time of arrival......................16:00

No one left un-reverbed.

Ed
Link
Mitch

The Surge?

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

This just in!

I've worked out an arrangement with the Bar Manager to have an open Surf Party Jam here at the Time Out Lounge / Sports Bar at the University Inn, 1301 North Fordham Blvd., Chapel Hill, NC from 2pm to 4pm Saturday May 30th.

9th Wave will provide amps & drums, bring your guitars, bar will be open & be serving my favorite, PBR specials!

Fans, friends & musicians, y'all come on down & have some fun!

From the Surf Side,

Mike

PS: call me if you have any questions or get lost, on my cell at 860-428-4638

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Hope I get there in time for that Surf Party Jam, but guitar auction down here in "little Washington" could run for 6 hours. Guess I'll just have to win a bid early and get on my way soon as I can!

night number one was great. crispy has put together a fabulous line up of bands. it was so nice seeing the 'space rangers' again. they were leaving early this morning to fly back to germany. Sigh

www.surfintheeye.com

Wow! What an opening night Thumbs Up

Big Ups, Crispy !!! All your hard work and countless hours is paying off big time. Thank You!

And a Big Thanks to all the bands traveling from all four corners to play the summit! Clearly, without y'all, this is a non event.

Real nice to see several SG101'ers again. Great to see/meet many others for the first of hopefully may times to come. Anyone who has ever been knows the Cave is not a big place, but it is cozy and friendly. Makes for a real intimate evening among pals - and if anyone isn't a pal when you get there, chances are good they will be by the end of the night. The bands were great, music amazing, and the people - well... the best.

You may have seen Crispy's zany idea to help send sponsors Flip Video out with a bang by having anyone/everyone in the crowd film the Space Rangers 4th song - which I, along with many others obliged. I think Crispy is gonna try to make some sort of video collage of it.

There were a few filming much of the evening, including the house video, which I know Crispy is working to make available to the bands (minimum) to do what they wish with it, and hopefully more broadly as part of the event.

I didn't get video footage other than the Rangers song #4 myself. Sorry for that to those who couldn't be there. I know how much I enjoy seeing film of shows from all other areas. I did, however, make it a point to get a few snaps of every band. Hope'd to get some PotD quality, but someone with a "real" camera (not my point-and-shoot) will prolly have to help there.

Anywho, enough jibber-jabber from this happy boy. Here's a shot from each of the first night bands.

Each band really brought it last night. Night Two bands - Bring your "A Game"! These first night guys (and gal!) really set the Summit off right.

Jack Maverick & His Wild Rebels

The Mystery Men?

The Krektones

Aqualads

9th Wave

The Space Rangers

The Straight 8's

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Awesome wrap up, Fady. It was great to meet some folks in person and listen to all these amazing bands! I didn't have the intestinal fortitude to last the whole evening (knowing my 18-month-old was going to wake me up at 6am). But, I had a great time while I was there.

See some of y'all again tonight!

(p.s. I'm giving away The Red Planets pins, so find me if you want one!)

Full length "Chases Lead to Crashes" available now - The Red Planets

I've got to agree with Brian--everybody really stepped up to the Aqualad level of ass-kicking last night. It was great to see the Mystery Men?, The Krektones and 9th Wave kick it up...well, a bunch of notches from last year, and they were all pretty darned great last year to begin with. It's great to see bands feed off each others enthusiasm for the art.

I had a nice, if brief, time with the Space Rangers yesterday, taking them to WUNC to play in the studio, where I introduced them to the magic of a Fender Bronco played through a Tube Reverb Unit ("It's so small--and it's all tube?"), And my Ampeg B-15 ("Sell it to me--now!"). I also got to get them--and the Yankee folk in 9th Wave--a proper taste of Southern Cooking at Bullock's Barbecue. They loved the fried chicken, and were fascinated by the Eastern Carolina Barbecue ("looks like tunafish--but it's not--not at all!"). And every one of them came up to me after the Aqualads blazing set with a huge smile and two thumbs up. I'm sorry they had to leave early, but they hinted that they were very up for the idea of coming back next year.

Tonight should reach a massive level of rockin' insanity, between Daikaiju, The Coffin Daggers, Noseriders, and the Atomic Mosquitos, not to mention all the contests and jams going on with Phatlynx tonight. Friday was great, but I think it will be topped!

--Crispy

Night number 2.......!!!

www.surfintheeye.com

Well, well, well. Another night to behold @ the Instro Summit.

Once again, a H U G E thanks to all the bands traveling from New York to Alabama and lots of places in between! Really super to see folks giving so much to make this happen. Quite a treat!

To borrow Crispy's words... "From A to Z."

Kicked off by a great "Trad" set of dedications and tributes by the original line up of The X-Rays playing as The Surge! to the mega psycho Kabuki theater shredding of Daikaiju and everything in between - and I do mean ~ e v e r y t h i n g. ~

It was a night like no other, to be sure.

Special Thanks to Mr. Eddie Katcher for providing the super sounding, eye-poping, jaw dropping back line for the night! Gonna start calling you the Milkman... cause you always deliver.

Got to meet more SG101'ers I'd not met before, saw some familiar folks who'd not been able to make Friday, and I had the immense pleasure of a 2nd night out with some of the nicest people around - a crew of supper supportive SG101 community stand outs who made Friday night and last night too.

Big shout out to "mom_surfing" who threw down with Crispy and the boys on the Play as Wack as Link Wray / I'm Branded solo contest - the only one to have the courage to get up there and do it. Rocked it Big Time ( ! ) and won a very well deserved suitcase chock full of swag from all the bands and more.

You go Grrrrl!!!

No new records for the rumble jam, and strangely no takers a'tall for the Bass-off... Confused

Anywho - One more night to go and more greatly anticipated bands still to play. Prolly gonna need a nap today to make it to the end, but I'll be there. What a great weekend this is proving to be!

The Surge!

Bu Hao Ting

The NoSeRiDeRs

Atomic Mosquitos

The Coffin Daggers

Daikaiju

Phatlynx

I'm Branded solo contest: mom_surfing

The Rumble Jam

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: May 01, 2011 09:35:36

Ah! Seeing at least one of the videos from night one with the Space Rangers hasn't made it to this thread yet. Footage courtesy of the Crispy-cam!

The Space Rangers: Good Morning Svetlana!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Great video! Nice segue into Banzai Washout!

Thanks for the report and pics. Please keep them coming.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

i need sleep too but instead drove 2 1/2 hours this morning to wilmington to see my offspring and will drive back to chapel hill this evening for night three. seeing these photos brought a smile to my face. what a great evening of music. (missing is a photo of me at the end of daikaiju with four of their guitars hanging around my neck.) i'll write more when i get home monday.

www.surfintheeye.com

sounds like a Major Hoot!!!!
congrats Crispy and all of the bands.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sunday night was another Instro-crazed night in Chapel Hill and another lineup from Alabama to New York. It's amazing that so many people & bands came from so far away to make this happen all 3 nights.

Lots of great song choices and mix of flavors for the evening. The night began with some smooth cuts and warm sounds from the first 3 bands, and closed with a well planned high-octane final 3 to send Instro Summit 2011 out with a bang!

Hats off to you, Crispy - 2011 was another great year for Summit!!

I'm sure that as all the travelers (bands and attendees) get back to their home towns, settle back into their week that they will chime in with their experiences and highlights. In the mean time, I'll wrap with the final set of pictures I took Sunday night.

Killer Filler

The Third Expression

The Monterreys

The High Five Revival

Blood Red River

Kill Baby...Kill!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

We finally made it back into good ol Alabama a short time ago. What a great weekend. We started it with a wonderful show in Atlanta. Then, we followed it up by playing a house show at at the residence of Mark Kuhn from Voodoo Court in Asheville. Then, we topped the weekend off with an insane night of music in Chapel Hill. I swear, Sunday's Instro Summit was filled with some amazing bands and we could not feel more honered to have been a part of it. It was great meeting everyone at the show and we have to send a personal thankyou out to Crispy. He really out did himself.

THE KBK ... This is the last known signal. We offer Sanctuary.

www.thekbk.com
http://www.deepeddy.net/artists/thekbk/
www.reverbnation.com/thekbk
www.facebook.com/thekbkal

Goto Page: Previous 1 27 8 9 10 11 12 Next