Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink INSTRO SUMMIT 2011 April 29-May 1st. Chapel Hill, NC!

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 Next

As my buddy Mike Grossman would say--Whoof! I'm still beat up from a three-day extravaganza combined with three days of fitful sleep, not to mention the fact that I'm in the process of moving this week. I've still got to total up the books, pay a few invoices and ship off a whole mess o' checks and/or DVD's to the many kickass bands that played this weekend--and every one of them--I mean EVERY ONE of 'em--kicked ass! And that ain't bragging--that's gratitude talking!

My thanks to Brain Fady for posting all the pics and the summaries--not to mention his help getting our Flip sponsorship (which in turn got us our Eastwood sponsorship). If I can find time between all the packing and driving this week (and I think I can--Wednesday looks to be a bit rainy) I'll be posting a few summaries of my own. In the meantime, I'd love to hear what other people thought, what they liked and what they didn't. But for now, I need to get back to bed--the day job awaits in a few hours.

--Crispy

Who won the raffles?!! I need to know who to go rough up so I can grab that Saturn '63. Smile

Joking aside, thanks again for putting this together, Crispy. It was a great time (even though I ran out of gas for Sunday).

Full length "Chases Lead to Crashes" available now - The Red Planets

It was the best weekend I have had in a looooong time ! It was great to meet all the guys from the bands and members from the SG101 community !
And a special thanks for all the kick ass work you done Crispy !!!!!

Johnny Rocket
The Monterreys !
http://www.youtube.com/user/THEMONTERREYS?feature=mhum

Last edited: May 06, 2011 09:49:11

DJ Bump, who was spinnin' some really choice 45's between sets all weekend long, had a primo seat with a view and he's started pushing some footage up on YouTube. Here's a few from the first 3 bands of the first night.

Oh, what a weekend it was!!!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

i want to thank mike and sandy of 9th wave/NESMA for organizing the jam at the university inn saturday afternoon. that was fun and such a pleasure to play through mikes twin.....it sounded so good. i was thinking 'is that me?' we'll have to do it again next year. see you guys in cali.

www.surfintheeye.com

Woot! Woot! Another video up from the show - spouse of a Mosquito to Thank, I believe...

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: May 06, 2011 20:44:04

Awesome, I love that Mosquitos song. Meltdown I believe? I love that whole album.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

WHEW!!... I've been going nonstop since the nonstop going weekend that was the Instro Summit! It was again a wonderful time. I'm glad that I was able to catch 2 nights this year. I saw some really fantastic bands, saw some great people that I don't get to see very often, and met some great new folks that I look forward to seeing again soon! Great to finally meet ArtS, GaryPlanets, Onslow Beach, Psychonaut, bangbang and anyone that I met but didn't realize was a fellow SG101er. It's nice to have a face to associate with a name. It was also great to see familiar faces once again! Big thanks to Tikisurfin and the rest of 9th Wave for setting up the amps and drums for the jam session on Saturday. What a blast and a great way to get to know each other! I was nursing a pretty brutal hangover, but even that didn't diminish the fun of jamming out in a hotel bar on a beautiful day. If you're around next year, don't miss this!

Now, that Crispy... what a guy! Way to put on an AWESOME show, especially considering how much you have going on outside of music. You grace under pressure is pretty amazing, and I am glad to be a part of it. Thanks for having us again!

I have many pictures and a couple of videos that I'll post as soon as I have some time to go through them all.

Does anybody KNow if Topsail made it to at least 1 night of the
Instro Summit.
So help me, if he did all that bitchin' and moaning about having something like the SG101 convention on the East Coast,
then didn't go to this.
He needs a firm kick in the Keester.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I see my videos have already made it to this post thanks to Mr. Fady!
i just made an offical post to the Video section of the forum.
now up to band #6 on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bumpadelic

big ups to crispy!

cheers
bump

I will be posting a "band on the road, behind in the scene with The Space Rangers and life playing the Instro Summit Review” very soon.

Mike - 9th Wave

Mike
9thwavesurf.com
NESMASURF.org

Here's my set of pictures from the event. I'll get the videos up to YouTube as soon as I can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themysterymanjg/sets/72157626562682199/

Thanks for the continuing pics, videos, and reviews!

MadScientist wrote:

Here's my set of pictures from the event. I'll get the
videos up to YouTube as soon as I can.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themysterymanjg/sets/72157626562682199/

I noticed something interesting in the metadata of your photos Jamie!

This photo was taken on April 30, 2011 using a Kodak Zi8 Pocket Video Camera.

Nice! I love my Zi8! Sadly I haven't been able to use it much.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I noticed something interesting in the metadata of your
photos Jamie!

This photo was taken on April 30, 2011 using a Kodak
Zi8 Pocket Video Camera.

Nice! I love my Zi8! Sadly I haven't been able to use
it much.

I'll have you know that it's actually because of the footage you got with yours at the convention last year that I bought that camera. The mic input doesn't hurt either. It's FANTASTIC.

More videos will be posted in the upcoming weeks; I finally got copies of all the DVD's we made during the Summit, and additional copies will be mailed to their respective bands Wednesday or Thursday (save Jack Maverick, whose DVD unfortunately didn't take--booo! Argh ). I also just posted this bit of Blood Red River's show on the Instro Summit You Tube Page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0rH0PwspiI

As I said before, I've been packing, moving, and unpacking these past two weeks, and I'm still a bit turned around and inside out, but It's been a while since I promised my own thoughts on the big ol' monsker I created, so here goes:

Friday: Beyond my expectations, save the lower attendance from last year. Still loving how every band really revved up and knocked one out of the park this night.

Saturday: Musically, I knew this would be a knockout of a night. The Surge (sorry--X-Rays!), would get everybody in a good mood, and while Bu Hao Ting might scare the crap out of everyone, they'd prep the crowd for the increasingly aggressive instrumental assault that would follow.

And it was, from the Noseriders, to the Atomic Mosquitos, to the Coffin Daggers, to Daikaiju, it got more aggressive, frentic, wilder, and just plain rockin' as the night progressed. If I'd left it at this, I'd have a night legends are made of.

But no, I had the cockeyed idea of having Phatlynx follow Daikaiju (insiders tip: NEVER listen to Santanu about what band should follow another!), and tried to get a crowd that at that point was exhausted, drunk and just plain intimidated to come on stage and join us for the various contests and jams we had to round out the evening. (Bless Mom Surfing for having the cajones the boys didn't that night!). Ah well, it was a noble failure. Next year, I think I'll have the whole Rumble Jam/Contest thing around 10pm or so, before all them Pabsts have taken their effect on folks.

Sunday--honestly, I had low expectations: Three local acts, plus three pretty much unknown bands that had never played the area before? I just hoped we'd make the same amount we did last year at the door (although that had Daikaiju as the headliner, which no doubt had an affect on the take).

Color me tickled pink as things rolled out: A better than decent crowd, bands that knocked people off their socks (best quote of the night from a delirious woman fan: "Crispy! Kill, Baby...Kill.....FUCK! Shock " and the take at the raffle table nearly doubled by eager bass players trying to get their hands on that Classic 4 bass.

One bit of scariness: A pair of drunken yokels during the Killer Filler set nearly came to blows, all because one wanted to leave, but the other one wanted to stay and see the show! It was flattering, really, if a bit unnerving. in honor of them we dedicated our next song which--perfectly!--was the Al Hirt classic "Java"! What better song to dedicate to a pair of drunks than a song about coffee?

It was also neat that nearly everybody who won the raffle prizes was in the crowd that night (save that bass again, which is going all the way to Connecticut!). And when my Phatlynx co-guitarist and right hand man Robbie Poore won the Instro Summit guitar--well, I couldn't think of a nicer thing to happen, or a man who deserved it more.

All in all is was a fabulous weekend musically, though we certainly didn't draw as good a crowd as last year. Thankfully the raffle take made up for the loss, and I was able to pay each band roughly double what they would have made at the door. And thanks to PBR, my losses were quite minimal--under 70 bucks--so I'm pretty happy, too.

Hopefully, we can do another one of these next year. As some of you know, my personal life is going through a particularly messy state of transition, and I'm hoping I'll come out of it better than I was before. in the meantime, Robby Poore and I will be watching our copies of the Summit, and slowly picking and editing our favorites from the nearly 20 hours of footage we shot. So stay tuned: Much more to come here.

--Crispy

Last edited: May 10, 2011 23:59:24

Everyone,
Only was able to stay for one night, Friday, but had a great time meeting all the SG101'ers (Onslow, Mom, Mad, Crispy, Planet, etc...) and hearing all the great bands! Carol, thanks for having dinner with me! The event was definitely worth the trip down from Maryland, plus I got to stop at some music stores on the way home and look at gear (always a fun thing to do). I was especially blown away by the Aqualads, whom I had never seen before. Onslow's praise of them was well justified. They played a great mix of songs and their tone was excellent. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a working ATM close by to get enough cash to buy all their cds, so I ended up with only one. I thought 9th Wave would have a tough time following them, but Mike, Sandy and company delivered with a great hard hitting intro!

Hope that Reverb Galaxy can play next year, but I plan on being there regardless. We are putting together a smaller version of Instro Summit called Surfapalooza on June 25th here in Annapolis, MD. Hope some SG101'ers can come by. I think we're up to 7 bands in one night, on two stages, including Blue Wave Theory, the Diamondheads, Atom Bumz, the Clams, Killer Filler, the Hypersonics and Reverb Galaxy.

Here is the SG101 link

[Surfapalooza 2011] http://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/14683/)

Thanks Crispy for putting together a great event!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

i was excited about finally getting to see 'the coffin daggers' and they certainly didn't disappoint. i also 'won' their new cd , which is quite good. the whole set was over much too fast and left me wanting more. they did a killer cover of 'caravan'.

www.surfintheeye.com

mom_surfing wrote:

(missing is a photo of me at
the end of daikaiju with four of their guitars hanging
around my neck.)

Missing no more! Check Crispy's video Headbang

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

you had me worried there about my ever so brief appearance with daikaiju at the end of their set. whew!

www.surfintheeye.com

Haha! Was just a warm up to you kickin' it in the "I'm Branded" contest. Rock Star!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Goto Page: Previous 1 28 9 10 11 12 Next