Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next

V-picks are great, I love the Psycho, a giant 6mm triangle. But the tips wore down after only a week or two, then I was looking at another $20 pick! So I went back to Cool Picks. It's a lot easier to stomach tossing a $1 pick. The acrylic was nice and sticky.

You all are so right about holding the pick looser in general. I only grab the pick hard for intense tremolo picking. Most of the time it's pretty loose. A three-fingered grip.

Daniel Deathtide

Wow! I had never thought about that, but I can see how acrylic could wear faster than, f’rinstance, Delrin.

I am tremolo-picking-impaired. Smile I can do it, but it’s hard for me to sustain. On a good day, I can play the third verse of Honky Tonk, convincingly, but that’s about my limit. I’m in awe of what John Pisano did on the Tijuana Brass recording of Zorba the Greek. My right arm gets tired by just listening to that track. Smile

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

That's probably why your tips don't wear down as quickly, the lack of tremolo picking! That's when I notice the tips wearing and a bunch of white dust on the PG under the strings - after practicing "hard and fast" surf tunes.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

That's probably why your tips don't wear down as quickly, the lack of tremolo picking! That's when I notice the tips wearing and a bunch of white dust on the PG under the strings - after practicing "hard and fast" surf tunes.

Hey, I got those whole notes down pat and I’m shaping up fast on those half notes. Smile

Speed was never my greatest strength as a player, but I finally got to the point where I was pretty solid on 16th note, even at a fast clip, but the tremolo wears me down fast.

I’ve been playing for a long time, and believe it or not, I’ve only worn out one pick, a thumb-pick that eventually wore too short. I can only remember breaking two strings in the last 40 years. I’ve had a couple break at the rivet end when I first tuned them up and they broke before I even got them to pitch, which I would attribute to those two particular strings being defective.

I’m not that light of a player, either. I actually have a fairly strong touch, but I’m also very precise with my right hand, so maybe that helps.

Yeah I know I am doing it "wrong" but I just love the sound and feel of digging IN and slamming the strings. I've tried playing lighter and I can manage it but I don't like the sound as much. The action on most of my guitars is 5mm - 6mm! It's the only way to avoid that fret slap. On a classical I SLAM the strings, the louder the better on those!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Yeah I know I am doing it "wrong" but I just love the sound and feel of digging IN and slamming the strings. I've tried playing lighter and I can manage it but I don't like the sound as much. The action on most of my guitars is 5mm - 6mm! It's the only way to avoid that fret slap. On a classical I SLAM the strings, the louder the better on those!

Not necessarily wrong, but perhaps not optimal for string life.

I tried a couple of great V-Picks today. The Van Zen and the Tradition Ultra Lite Teal. They are polar opposites. Starting with the familiar, the Tradition Ultra Lite Teal is a slightly pointier version of the Fender 351 sized pick, with a slightly different taper, and in acrylic, roughly the same thickness as a Fender Medium. If you like acrylic and need a fairly thin pick, this is a decent choice.

The Van Zen is slightly smaller in height and width, but 4mm of clear acrylic, with tapered edges. It gives a fairly bright sound, probably because of the tapered edges, but the thickness of the main body of the pick makes it very easy to grip. It’s probably not quite as bright as the Tradition Ultra Lite, but it is surprisingly bright. One thing I love about the Van Zen, is that I find it very easy to tremolo pick with it. These are picks that go for $10 each, but I intend to buy more of them in the near future.

DeathTide wrote:

V-picks are great, I love the Psycho, a giant 6mm triangle. But the tips wore down after only a week or two, then I was looking at another $20 pick! So I went back to Cool Picks. It's a lot easier to stomach tossing a $1 pick. The acrylic was nice and sticky.

You all are so right about holding the pick looser in general. I only grab the pick hard for intense tremolo picking. Most of the time it's pretty loose. A three-fingered grip.

Cool picks!

I just ordered a small bag of the Juratex 1mm picks and am curious about them… hopefully they work out… I love the look of the point and feel it will be great for tremolo picking

what are your thoughts on ‘em?

I am loving these Planet Waves 1.00mm Duralin large triangle picks:

Duralin

Last edited: Aug 04, 2023 10:13:24

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:31:52

I'm no expert and I play a wide variety of music, so my picks of choice may not be applicable,but I tend to like Ultex and Primetone picks (raised). I usually use .73, .88, or 1.

I used lots of different stuff through the decades, but now, I just have a tin full of Fender Heavy in various colors. Just hits the spot for me.

Fender Celluloid (Heavy) is perfect for surf (for me)

I use Dunlop Max Grip 1.5 blue picks. I really want some white ones, but can't find any. Does anyone know of any white picks that are close to the ones I currently use? I emailed Dunlop, but they never responded to me.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Dunlop Ultex 1.0 mm or 1.14 mm if they have’em in stock

Been using Dunlop Jazz 3 for 15+ years now! Love that pick!

Troy Grady has great video on it!

Master of sound in:
https://beachbombband.bandcamp.com

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I use Dunlop Max Grip 1.5 blue picks. I really want some white ones, but can't find any. Does anyone know of any white picks that are close to the ones I currently use? I emailed Dunlop, but they never responded to me.

Not as thick as the ones you're using, but I really like the Dunlop White Fang Custom Flow Picks.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/hetfields-white-fang-custom-flow-pick-1-14mm/

Thanks for the replies, but I am just not having any luck finding a solid white pick close to what I currently use.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Have you checked out the Coolpicks that are white with the blue sandpaper dab in the middle? Those get up to 1mm and I love em. I've tried $30 V-picks and a ton of other brands, and those are the only game in town for me. They have a blue circle in them so they're not totally white. Why do you need white, just curious?

Daniel Deathtide

Dick Dale tribute artist. Plain white picks would be perfect!

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next