PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
4 hours ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Picks!!!

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next

I recently tried a
JIM DUNLOP AALP03 Animals As Leaders Tosin Abasi Jazz III XL, .60mm, White pick. It’s fairly light, Tortex, and works well for a sharp, abrupt sound. While I’ve used a lot of thick picks, lighter picks seem to have their place, and seem to encourage reverb drip.

On the opposite side of the scale, I recently tried an Ibanez Soft Elastomer, 1.2mm pick. It’s the size and form of a Fender 351, but has a somewhat softer attack. If you are playing a slow song, and want a mellow sound, this’ll do it, and there’s virtually no clatter. I tried some Jazz with it, and was quite impressed. For anything mellow, these are great.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: May 02, 2023 00:08:58

Still cannot find anything better for me

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Everyone has their favorites.
I have not strayed from Dunlop tortex orange for as long as they have been around.
That is until I tried the pink delrin, the Flex and Fender.
I play light strings due to hand fatigue.

Last edited: May 02, 2023 06:29:21

I recently bought some Dunlop Prime Tones in .73mm and 1.0mm. They're made of Ultex and are a little longer than standard. They're ugly and they're about double the price of other Dunlop picks. But they sound crisp and they're easy to hang on to. I've been alternating between them, Hetfield Fang 1.0 and Big Stubby 1.0. They all sound very similar and have good grips. I really like the feel of the Big Stubby 3.0mm, but it's duller sounding.

I use a bone pick that is 3.7mm thick very nice for playing and very stiff gives a very warm tone ........ I use these because of Gypsy Jazz and now I use it for all styles great picks .......

I recently piggybacked some Jim Dunlop Gel picks into an order from Sweetwater, and they arrived today. I have used the Extra Heavy and Heavy picks for years, but wanted to listen for any detectable difference between these and Fender Celluloids of the same gauge. There may have been a very slight difference, with the Gels being slightly brighter, compared to a Fender Celluloid of the same thickness, but any difference that existed was too minor to have been detectable in a live music situation.

The Dunlop Gels feel good in the hand and tend to be easy to hold onto. The heavier Gels are great picks for getting a solid overall sound, and the Gel material is very durable.

For years I've been using Dunlop Tortex Yellow .73s for electric, .73 grey nylons for acoustic. I break alot of strings on the acoustic with the tortex ones. The nylons just have a little more give...or maybe I should say forgiveness, for my heavy handedness/sloppy playing.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 16:15:06

I use a few different picks depending on what i'm working on. Typically, i prefer the shark fin picks. the serrated side really does great dramatic strums and the tip of the fin is pretty solid for tremolo picking.

"When I die, they'll say "He couldn't play shit, but he sure made it sound good.""
-Hound Dog Taylor

Last edited: Jun 01, 2023 09:55:53

From_Beyond wrote:

I use a few different picks depending on what i'm working on. Typically, I prefer the shark fin picks. the serrated side really does great dramatic strums and the tip of the fin is pretty solid for tremolo picking.

image<<

I just ordered some of these and looking forward to trying out.
It looks like you can hold and pick about 10 different ways.

I have a group question regarding playing a 'run down'

There seems to be many methods for this machine gun picking down the low E string.
I have seen Dick Dale video of shredding the pick just ahead of the bridge. Probably heavy picks and heavy strings.
I am learning my own way with some fatigue limits to my playing.
So I have light strings and medium. 60mm picks. I seem to find the best run down using the upper rounded corner of the pick, and angled slightly, almost sawing the string.
Smoother flatwound strings are way easier to rip the move using any way to hold the pick. Flexible tips work but are not as fast as a heavy pick held close to the tip , using fingertips to slightly mute it.

What methods do other surf players use?

Last edited: Jun 05, 2023 19:55:23

IceratzSurf wrote:

I have a group question regarding playing a 'run down'

There seems to be many methods for this machine gun picking down the low E string.
I have seen Dick Dale video of shredding the pick just ahead of the bridge. Probably heavy picks and heavy strings.
I am learning my own way with some fatigue limits to my playing.
So I have light strings and medium. 60mm picks. I seem to find the best run down using the upper rounded corner of the pick, and angled slightly, almost sawing the string.
Smoother flatwound strings are way easier to rip the move using any way to hold the pick. Flexible tips work but are not as fast as a heavy pick held close to the tip , using fingertips to slightly mute it.

What methods do other surf players use?

I find these difficult to play, in comparison with other techniques. If I’m not trying to maximize drip, I’d probably go with a thicker acrylic pick, such as a V-Picks Chicken Picker. Get a solid grip, and use the power of your arm, in conjunction with the flexibility of your wrist. However, thicker picks tend to make for a warmer sound, and less drip. At least for me, a sharp pointed tip tends to slow things down, but a more rounded tip seems to work better.

Just tonight, I experimented with different picks, and how they sounded through my little Zoom R8. The thickness, or thinness of a pick is sort of a mixed blessing. For drippy, classic Surf sounds, a light Fender 351 seemed to give me a great sound, but the flexibility of the tip added some latency. A medium Fender 351 has a more solid feel, but at the cost of some ultra highs. The best compromise I’ve found, at least as of today, is the Jim Dunlop 486 PML, which is a Gel pick between Medium and Light thickness. It’s about as light as I can go without feeling that the tip is too flexible; YMMV. The Gel seems easy to grip, much like the acrylic picks I use for non-Surf.

I am officially an old fart these days, and I have the arthritis and carpal tunnel to prove it, and as a result I need picks with a textured grip. I really like the gold Herco 66 picks. The grip is excellent and they sound good. Some nylon picks have a mushy attack but these have a great crisp tone.
If I need a celluloid sound I’m all about the medium Fender Wave picks that have a grip hot stamped in. I’d use them all the time but I wear down celluloid picks in nothing flat.
I used to use the ubiquitous orange Tortex picks but now I find them too slick to hold on to. I have to press so hard to keep the pick in place it stiffens the rest of my hand.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread, but I don’t remember how long ago. Especially now that it’s 30 pages long.

For years now I’ve used a variety of different Jim Dunlop picks, (mostly the larger Jazz versions, made from Tortex) but my one constant is that I use Sort Quick (The stuff that bank tellers use to get some traction rifling through dollar bills) on my thumb, forefinger and pick, to get a better grip. I can actually get a better grip on the pick with less effort, and gain a little better pick control in the process. It also helps to lessen the strain on my forearm.

-Cheers, Clark-

-Less Paul, more Reverb-

Last edited: Jul 07, 2023 23:36:58

Garrett_Immel wrote:

I am officially an old fart these days, and I have the arthritis and carpal tunnel to prove it, and as a result I need picks with a textured grip. I really like the gold Herco 66 picks. The grip is excellent and they sound good. Some nylon picks have a mushy attack but these have a great crisp tone.
If I need a celluloid sound I’m all about the medium Fender Wave picks that have a grip hot stamped in. I’d use them all the time but I wear down celluloid picks in nothing flat.
I used to use the ubiquitous orange Tortex picks but now I find them too slick to hold on to. I have to press so hard to keep the pick in place it stiffens the rest of my hand.

I use the coolpicks that have a little dot of sandpaper in the middle of both sides, so I don't have problems with slippage. I have wondered though, if those ever stop being available if drilling a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of a regular pick would provide a superior grip? Probably not. It might work for me because I hold my pick really weird, perpendicular to the way most people hold it. (Thumb on the top and two fingers beneath it, with the guitar slung very low because of my nerve damage.)

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Garrett_Immel wrote:

I use the coolpicks that have a little dot of sandpaper in the middle of both sides, so I don't have problems with slippage. I have wondered though, if those ever stop being available if drilling a 1/4" or so hole in the middle of a regular pick would provide a superior grip? Probably not. It might work for me because I hold my pick really weird, perpendicular to the way most people hold it. (Thumb on the top and two fingers beneath it, with the guitar slung very low because of my nerve damage.)

I’ve found that acrylic, such as a V-Pick, or Jim Dunlop Gel picks are the easiest to hold onto. I grip picks between the side of my index finger and my thumb. Imagine making a fist, placing a pick on the side of your finger and trapping it with your thumb. It works, and works well, but it took a while to become accustomed to. Below is a photographic representation; a lousy photographic representation :), but a photo, nonetheless.

Before learning that technique, I would use my fingertip and the tip of my thumb to grip the pick. This gave more tactile sensation, but the grip was not as strong. Over the years, I have relaxed right hand a bit, but I still, to this day, keep my right hand free of the top of the guitar, unless I am muting at the bridge.

I’ve tried picks with a hole in the grip area, but I’ve never seen any advantage to having a hole, even if I grip from fingertip to thumb tip. I think that there’s a balance, between having a death grip on a pick, and having it so loose that it is dropped. Some degree of flexibility helps me to hang on. After decades of playing, I never think about any of this, when I am playing; I just grip the pick, according to my custom, and pick.

I have quite a few celluloid picks, and these seem to be easy to hold onto.

synchro wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Garrett_Immel wrote:

I’ve found that acrylic, such as a V-Pick, or Jim Dunlop Gel picks are the easiest to hold onto. I grip picks between the side of my index finger and my thumb. Imagine making a fist, placing a pick on the side of your finger and trapping it with your thumb. It works, and works well, but it took a while to become accustomed to. Below is a photographic representation; a lousy photographic representation :), but a photo, nonetheless.

Before learning that technique, I would use my fingertip and the tip of my thumb to grip the pick. This gave more tactile sensation, but the grip was not as strong. Over the years, I have relaxed right hand a bit, but I still, to this day, keep my right hand free of the top of the guitar, unless I am muting at the bridge.

I’ve tried picks with a hole in the grip area, but I’ve never seen any advantage to having a hole, even if I grip from fingertip to thumb tip. I think that there’s a balance, between having a death grip on a pick, and having it so loose that it is dropped. Some degree of flexibility helps me to hang on. After decades of playing, I never think about any of this, when I am playing; I just grip the pick, according to my custom, and pick.

I have quite a few celluloid picks, and these seem to be easy to hold onto.

I grip the same way as your photo, but I’ve never used the acrylic picks; I’m curious and will give them a try!
My issues really stem from making my living as a sculptor for three decades and the toll it’s taken on my fingers. Fortunately they still work fine if I keep them warm and flexible, but my grip strength just ain’t what it used to be.
Thanks for the good info!

Just throwing this out there, no idea if it's a good idea. Rather than switch picks, can you wear latex finger cots on your picking hand?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

Just throwing this out there, no idea if it's a good idea. Rather than switch picks, can you wear latex finger cots on your picking hand?

As my pointy eared friend would say "fascinating".
Capt Surf

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

From_Beyond wrote:

I use a few different picks depending on what i'm working on. Typically, i prefer the shark fin picks. the serrated side really does great dramatic strums and the tip of the fin is pretty solid for tremolo picking.

Dunlop makes the same thing. It’s the only pick I’ve ever used.

J

Garrett_Immel wrote:

I grip the same way as your photo, but I’ve never used the acrylic picks; I’m curious and will give them a try!
My issues really stem from making my living as a sculptor for three decades and the toll it’s taken on my fingers. Fortunately they still work fine if I keep them warm and flexible, but my grip strength just ain’t what it used to be.
Thanks for the good info!

Acrylic picks, as in V-Picks, and some of the other brands, lightly bond to your skin after you’ve held them for a a few minutes. The Dunlop 486 Gel picks are similar, in that the smooth surface seems to bond lightly. If you like heavier picks, V-Picks have something for every taste. I like the Chicken Picker, myself. If you want something flexible, the Dunlop 486 Gel, in either medium or medium-light is my choice.

DannySnyder wrote:

And all this time, I thought you were germophobic. Smile

Last edited: Jul 08, 2023 20:07:52

Goto Page: Previous 1 228 29 30 31 32 Next