PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
189 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
168 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
136 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
130 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
91 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
24 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
24 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

52%

52%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Eastwood Sidejack DLX

Page 1 of 1

Howdy!

Anyone here have any experience with the Eastwood Sidejack DLX? Im really interested by this one. Seems like an incredible bargain. Rad offset mosrite body, but with jazzmaster style floating tremelo? Rad.

Anyone have any eastwoods in their lineup?

Welcome to SG101, diggerodell13. I have no experience with the Sidekick, but I just picked up the Eastwood Jeff Senn Model One Baritone, in Surf Green. Seriously great guitar. Set-up from the factory was spot on. The pickups look like hum buckers, but they are Airline VVSC single coils, and sound fantastic. Floating trem works great. https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/jeff-senn-model-one-baritone

Bob

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024 13:03:17

Hey Diggerodell13, welcome to SG101! When you have a chance, go to the forum titled "The Shallow End," pick the thread titled "Introductions! New Members Post Here" and tell us about yourself and your musical background!

Patrick

If you're looking for the Mosrite sound, I'd pay a little more for a Hallmark. In fact, I did.

http://hallmarkguitars.com/

I had a Sidejack DLX for a while. It was well built but quite a weight, noticeably heavier than my Fender guitars. The pick-ups were a lot hotter than I wanted for a surf guitar so I sold it. I'd say they had more of a humbucker sound. The tremolo also wasn't as nice as a Fender.

I think the Eastwood Ichiban guitars look super cool. Very tempted to get one...

I had that model. I replaced the pickups for alnico ones. I played it on the first Waterboarders CD if you want to hear what it sounded like.

The neck is very very slim, it was worth what I paid for it, which wasn't much, but the one I had was an early one and I can't say it was all that well made.

I sold it to Clarry, who I think has since sold it on, so I can say that I spent a lot on the neck, trying to get it set up. The tech said it had more relief on the treble side of the neck than the bass side, as if it was a left hand neck on a right hand guitar. He said the proper solution was to take all the frets off, re-profile the neck correctly and put the frets back on, then set it up. I didn't have the heart or the wallet for it, so he did the best he could with a fret job. It was better afterwards. It was a good looking guitar.

I think if you can stretch to a Hallmark you'll get a better guitar, but the Eastwoods are not bad. I assume they are better made than the one I had. I play a Mexican Fender Jazzmaster since I sold the Eastwood.

I would definitely recommend playing it before you buy it. The neck is very very thin.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

I got the baritone version. It took a LOT of work to get it into what I consider playable condition (including serious fret work and a new nut), and I converted it to a "hard tail" with a plate because the trem system just sucked. Incredibly disappointed with the build quality out of the box, so much so I'll likely not buy another Eastwood instrument. I now feel stuck with this guitar - but having put a ton of work into it, at least I can say it plays great NOW. Pickups are OK, but IMO lack depth. IOW they sit in a mix pretty well, but just playing the guitar by itself, they don't sound great - just OK.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I don’t have experience with that model, but here is my Eastwood experience.

I did a lot of work on my Eastwood Airline Map after I played it for about a year without any mods. It played fine out of the box, but the pickups were meh.

I replaced the plastic nut with a bone one, added a Bigsby extender to lessen the string break angle, replaced the pick up switch, and replaced the pick ups with Lollars. It plays and sounds great (mostly because of the Lollars)

I got the guitar directly from Eastwood in their early days (2008), and it sounds and plays great since the mods. They had excellent customer service (they reimbursed me for a pick up issue repair), and arranged a guitar for me when I played Surfer Joe Summer Festival for the first time.

Jeff (Crazy Aces) played a lot of their guitars, and didn’t do any mods. From my conversations with him he had no issues. I saw him play with an Eastwood at a big arena show, and it sounded fine. He also did a couple of models with them.

Eastwood also has a great return policy when you order from them.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Last edited: Feb 23, 2024 12:54:14

Hey there.
I have that exact model (or an earlier one, with the old headstock logo). I got it for about 300 bucks - but it needed a fret dressing as there was some immense buzzing. After that it played and sounded great. I have it mainly as a backup guitar - and I don't play it as often as I once did. But it's still a fun guitar! I somehow really like the pickups and the vibrato works great (with a better curved arm - which now sits very firm. I exchanged the pickup covers for open chrome rings and the tuners for Kluson-Mosrite tuners. If Hallmark guitars would be more widely available in Europe I might have gone for one of those - but I really enjoy the Morite-ness of the Eastwood. Works fine for what I need it too - and it's surfier than some of my Fender style Offsets.

TENTACULA: Garage-Psych-Heavy-Surf-Rock
Tentacula @ Bandcamp Tentacula @ Instagram Tentacula @ Facebook my gear collection @ instagram

An edit to my previous post - mine had a Bigsby trem rather than the Fender style one used these days.

http://thewaterboarders.bandcamp.com/

Page 1 of 1