Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink About to buy a Fender Deluxe reverb amp

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I've never been a fan of those tube cages on newer fender amps. I'm not sure if they keep tubes in, for safety or to the protect the tubes from getting cracked. I'd take the cage off and if needed use tube retainer springs for each tube. Those tube cages are prone to rattling and another thing to get loose after a while of playing. That being said from a warranty stand point Fender would want you to keep them on.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I noticed a vibration coming from my amp when I would hit certain notes, so I decided to look into it. Turns out it was the metal tube guards surrounding the preamp tubes. I removed these guards, and at least 75% of the vibration is now gone. Will it cause any problems if I permanently leave these metal guards off?

I think he means the small 'can' like looking guards (retainers) around the preamp tubes, not the large cage that protects the power tubes?

The Hicadoolas

Tube retainers like these: http://www.amprepairparts.com/tubeaccess.htm

I had a lot of rattling coming from these:
I think that's what he meant.

The Hicadoolas

Anyone have recommendations for tube replacements in the 65' DRRI? I don't need any more power. I just keep hearing folks on here say you should replace the "cheap Fender tubes" as soon as possible to improve the sound. What tubes do you guys recommend?

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

There are a lot of different kinds of tubes out there. I had some good experiences with JJs and TungSol. But there are more nice sounding tubes out there...Siemens, EH, Telefunken, Mazda, GE, RCA, etc. Tubes (especially preamp) aren't expensive...well, some are, but you really don't need those super expensive ones for your amp. Shop around, get a couple of different brands and simply test them by switch between different tubes in different positions. They will have an impact on your sound. Hope that helps.

The Hicadoolas

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015 09:59:22

I've been obsessed with getting a brown-face Deluxe after seeing this pic of Glen, surely playing some hot-rod stuff, in the Wrecking Crew book!

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

ncgalt1984 wrote:

Anyone have recommendations for tube replacements in the 65' DRRI? I don't need any more power. I just keep hearing folks on here say you should replace the "cheap Fender tubes" as soon as possible to improve the sound. What tubes do you guys recommend?

I put TungSol power tubes in mine, and the rest I think are JJs. I recommend removing the preamp tube for the channel you aren't using. I use the reverb channel, so I removed the preamp tube in the clean channel. It gives the remaining channel a little more juice. I also replaced the reverb tube from a 12AT7 to a 12AU7, which makes the reverb a bit brighter and much less muddy.

I also upgraded the speaker to a Weber and got a much higher grade speaker cable. With these mods, I was able to get my 65 DRRI up to volume 6 and 7 without breaking up, and I had the onboard reverb as an backup in case my tank died.

More DR mods and suggestions are here: http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

I hope this helps!

josheboy wrote:

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I put TungSol power tubes in mine, and the rest I think are JJs. I recommend removing the preamp tube for the channel you aren't using. I use the reverb channel, so I removed the preamp tube in the clean channel. It gives the remaining channel a little more juice. I also replaced the reverb tube from a 12AT7 to a 12AU7, which makes the reverb a bit brighter and much less muddy.

I also upgraded the speaker to a Weber and got a much higher grade speaker cable. With these mods, I was able to get my 65 DRRI up to volume 6 and 7 without breaking up, and I had the onboard reverb as an backup in case my tank died.

I hope this helps!

I have the limited edition 65' DRRI head. I have it running into a 2x12 cab with 2 Eminence Swamp Thangs. I really like the way it sounds but I am curious about what it would sound like without the "cheap Fender tubes". I play through the Normal Channel because I use a Gomez G-Spring with the amp.

Kevin
The Out of Limits
www.facebook.com/theoutoflimitsband
https://theoutoflimits.bandcamp.com/

SanchoPansen wrote:

I had a lot of rattling coming from these:
I think that's what he meant.

This is exactly what I am referring to. So it is not OK to take these off? Hmm... I may just take my chances. Paranoid Also, some great tips for replacing tubes in this thread. Thumbs Up

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale. New videos uploaded

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015 15:45:43

I would not recommend taking these off, as they hold the tubes in place. But you could buy new ones for a couple of $. Some stores even have them in different colors.

The Hicadoolas

josheboy wrote:

ncgalt1984 wrote:

I hope this helps!

Hi, I am curious about swapping the 12AT7 with a 12AU7. Does it really improve the sound of the on board reverb that much? If so, I think I will go ahead and make the switch. I have a tank, but would like to have a nice sounding backup if needed.

I also have the limited head version, actually up for sale if anyone is interested. I have replaced the reverb tube for a 12au7, and the difference was amazing. The stock 12at7 sux frankly and I could not get a decent reverb from it past like 1-1/2 on the knob. I can say the 12au7 really cleaned this up and allowed me a much larger reverb spectrum to play with. I also have an outboard tank, which is much different than the reverb onboard.

Peace to you, not on you

Thanks Diggey, I am definitely going to order a 12AU7. Any GE or NOS will work?

I have been on the fence about buying a DR RI in wine red for a long time now. I was hoping it would be an amp that can be used for both band practice and small-medium gigs, but I am getting the vibe that the 22W's is not enough for the stage?

Do any of you guys use a DR for gigging in clubs/bars?

WaimeaBay wrote:

I have been on the fence about buying a DR RI in wine red for a long time now. I was hoping it would be an amp that can be used for both band practice and small-medium gigs, but I am getting the vibe that the 22W's is not enough for the stage?

Do any of you guys use a DR for gigging in clubs/bars?

Unless your drummer was a real heavy hitter, I'd say that the DR RI would be ok in most situations, but you might run out of clean headroom and start getting into grit territory. Of course, if you were in a mainstream covers band, this would probably be perfect. If ample clean headroom was deal breaker, then I would suggest you try out something like an SR or a Vibrolux as just a step up from the DR.
The nice thing about a DR is that sound techs know them because they are a common amp to mic-up for a larger stage setting.
A sound tech mic'ed-up my Vibrolux and put the mic just off-centre from what they thought was the DR speaker cone...only for me to inform them that it is a 2x10" Smile (they couldn't figure out why it sounded poor through the PA at first...)

The downside to the Vibrolux and SR is that even at 40w and 35w respectively, if you have to keep the volume really low, there just is no muscle to the sound. My perfect gigging situation for my small to medium (and occasional outdoor venues) would be to have both my Vibrolux and a DR. Not that this makes it any easier for you!

Here are the Los SJs using their BF Vibroluxes (unmic'ed, outdoors):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZelMNqVjoO8

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Last edited: Sep 04, 2015 17:23:32

shake, thanks for the feedback and that was an awesome vid! Yeah... I guess I am seeing now why some people collect amps like guitars. You need the right amp for the right occasion.

WaimeaBay wrote:

shake, thanks for the feedback and that was an awesome vid! Yeah... I guess I am seeing now why some people collect amps like guitars. You need the right amp for the right occasion.

When you look at amps and guitars as tools it's easy to see that you need the right tool per situation.

It also is a great justification for the wife when buying gear. Hmmm

Last edited: Sep 04, 2015 17:56:03

Help! I have a custom box and my tube chart is missing. Which tube is the 12AT7 that I will be removing to install the 12AU7? I am on my phone and trying to use Google, but I trust you guys more than anyone else. I am looking at the amp from the back where the 6 small tubes are to the right, 3 big ones to the left. Thanks!

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Help! I have a custom box and my tube chart is missing. Which tube is the 12AT7 that I will be removing to install the 12AU7? I am on my phone and trying to use Google, but I trust you guys more than anyone else. I am looking at the amp from the back where the 6 small tubes are to the right, 3 big ones to the left. Thanks!

If you need a tube layout of a deluxe reverb, here it is
layout. I know some users change the 12AT7 reverb tube to a 12AU7 for more reverb range.

AA763/AB763 Tube layout (Seen from behind, V1 is to the right side)

V1 12ax7 = Preamp normal channel
V2 12ax7 = Preamp vibrato channel
V3 12at7 = Reverb send
V4 12ax7 = 1/2 Reverb recovery and 1/2 gain stage for vibrato channel
V5 12ax7 = Vibrato
V6 12at7 = Phase inverter
V7 6V6 = Power tube #1
V8 6V6 = Power tube #2
V9 GZ34 = Rectifier tube

Last edited: Sep 07, 2015 19:49:56

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next