Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink String Gauges Poll

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 618 19 Next

Snake Oil Brand Strings

A bit pricey - I can get a set of Rotosounds (which I LOVE) for $4.50 from juststrings.com, whereas a comparable set of Snake Oil Brand is $10.50. I think I'll stick to the Rotosounds for the moment, though I remain intrigued by Snake Oil Brand. I'll probably get a set at some point and check 'em out.

Ivan

PS Klas, what's wrong with Rotosound packaging? And does it really matter?

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

ivan:

i went over and checked out the Snake Oil site...those strings do look intriguing...if you try a set, please post your impressions...

-dp

In a previous reply, I'd said I have a whole box of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings, but in doing some cleaning recently I found out I was wrong. The box of Ernie Ball strings I have are Regular Slinky (10-13-17-26-36-46), and I have a pack each of Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom (10-13-17-30-42-52) and Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (11-15-22P-30-42-54). I think I'll put the Beefy Slinky strings on my So Cal Speed Shop Strat, since I'll be tuning it C to C, and the Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings on my hollow body Ibanez. For my Stratocaster and both Les Pauls, I think I'll go with the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky (12-16-24P-32-44-56) strings.

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

using 0.11 chrome daddario for a time,now it cost 14 euro-17$ !
goin' confortable with daddario 0.11-0.49,in my town you can't find 0.12 !
I like the tone of the heavier strings,but-I like to bend sometimes without cut my fingers.
love that "guitar museum".... in the post before.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

rocknroll
using 0.11 chrome daddario for a time,now it cost 14 euro-17$ !
goin' confortable with daddario 0.11-0.49,in my town you can't find 0.12 !
I like the tone of the heavier strings,but-I like to bend sometimes without cut my fingers.
love that "guitar museum".... in the post before.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

bruno - http://www.thomann.de has them for E8,90 now, 11's and 12's no problem. they also carry the Pyramid Gold flats for around E11 .... order a bunch of strings, maybe together with friends and the shipping charges fade away ... they do a flat rate of E8 to the netherlands, not sure about italy, shouldn't be much more...

WR

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

First off I'd like to introduce myself as a new member. I'm 26, I live in Chicago, and I love music. I've been playing guitar (dreadfully) for a couple years now and am finally trying my hand at surf. That being said...

I use 13-52 flatwound Pyramids on my Epiphone SG-lookalike. I feel more confident playing with them as opposed to the round 10s I was using before because they require more strength and pressure to play cleanly which in turn requires that I play more deliberately and consequentally I make less mistakes. Plus they sound great. It's like cracking a whip! The only downside is that they been killing the tips of my fingers and I can't always get that "warble" right (y'know when you kinda shimmy your finger back and forth some tremolo).

as is reference to posting in other threads....
this is not meant to be taken offesively.

Maybe if you get a guitar with a tremelo bar, you wouldn't have to
use your fingers, and they wouldn't hurt.
cept for the regular playing pain.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

ah, tiki, no offense either Wink , but finger tremolo and stick trem are differnet thingsand can't really substitute eachother, imo.

doesnt mean he couldn't buy a tremequiped guitar though Idea

hi Johnny Nitro! welcome to the group!

WR

Rules to live by #314:

Welcome Johnny_Nitro! Cheers You've made a fine choice pursuing surf music, a very rewarding style that is easy to master, yet sounds great and lots of fun. Regarding the finger tremolo, don't worry about it, that's what the wiggle stick is for Wink

Cruise the archives you'll find all you've ever wanted to know and ten times more.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

ah what do I know I am just a bass player,
but seems WR and Danny may need to discuss the difference, huh?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Whack Fight Stuff Hits the Fan Stir the Pot ....... Kiss .... Cheers

okay, done BTD, and we're good again too.

but I'll stick to my point Twisted Evil

PS, 013's Thumbs Up I 'll take my hat of for the man, me with my whimpy 011's

Rules to live by #314:

WR
Whack Fight Stuff Hits the Fan Stir the Pot ....... Kiss .... Cheers

okay, done BTD, and we're good again too.

but I'll stick to my point Twisted Evil

PS, 013's Thumbs Up I 'll take my hat of for the man, me with my whimpy 011's

Hey, my left hand has enough to do without having to do vibrato. Between a trem pedal and the wiggle stick I got it covered. What do you think this is - Blues Whack

aw, OK Kiss Cheers

Danny Snyder

_

Haha. Point taken about the tremolo arm (and mine is actually set up for it!) but unless I'm trying to bend up a step (or two) I just wiggle my finger. I find that I have more control can do it faster and it's easier than reaching over for the arm quickly between notes. I've been trying to use the arm more but so far it seems I have to stop playing and concentrate on arm then go back to playing. One of these days...

Ive actually went back to using finger vibrato on longer notes (and trempicked notes) after seeing few greats do it, I * think* IvanP and DaveW but I really dont remember. I do remember seeing a surf guitarist sing it on a youtube vid and thought it sounded great. Phantom Frank uses plenty (but he's not a surf guitarist Wink ) subtle use though, obviously.

WR

Rules to live by #314:

is it easier to play 'diamond head' with bigger strings?
im finding it hard to do the 555, 755, 855 part with my 10s

vulture
is it easier to play 'diamond head' with bigger strings?
im finding it hard to do the 555, 755, 855 part with my 10s

Vulture, no doubt the answer is yes. More resistance gives more control for the muted picking.

Danny Snyder

_

i just stepped up to 10-46 rounds on my mosrite from the crappy 9's it came with. my high e string snapped and the only thing i had around to replace it is an 11.

i hope this doesn't hurt anything, but i'm going to look at the neck again in the morning to make sure. i havent adjusted the truss rod at all, just puttign 10's on cured all my fretbuzz.

I am still using 12/52 Chrome Flats on my JM's and Jag. They sound huge and I like that a lot. I use the 12/52 Elixir on my acoustics. I never tried those on my electrics....ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I think I've finally settled on what I like in strings, having tried a couple options on the new electric. I just today put 13's on my guitar and they feel and sound so friggin' great I'm overjoyed. I tried putting some on myself the other day (jumping up from 12's) but the bridge was getting pulled up and I got frightened so I brought it in to get tweaked. All the guys in the shop were like "13's? What the hell is wrong with you?" but I got them on anyways... So worth it. I love them already. Cool

I've been using 11's on my strat and 12's on my Bowen handle (remember those) equiped Epiphone Dot.

What is the advantage of flatwounds in the Surf Guitar World?
"Maybe I should look into them." Hmmm

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 618 19 Next