Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink The String thread

StickyNew Topic
Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 928 29 Next

What happened to Phantom Frank !? Did he get arthritis or something similar?

RSI had him out of action for years. He came back, but it's a risk for anyone.

Some guys have big beefy hands--Jim Thomas makes a Strat neck look like a toothpick when he plays. Maybe they don't have to worry so much about the potential for tendonitis. I had a problem for about a year and a half where I could not even put my left arm behind my back--I started doing Yoga, and got most of my flexibility back.

I've been playing guitar for 43 years. I can't play 25.5 scale guitars for very long, or for too many days straight, or it will ruin my hands. I never used to have to deal with these issues for the first few decades of playing--but for the past 15 years I've had to deal with managing arthritis and RSI in both hands--as well as coping with tendonitis. I still practice at least an hour a day.

With the exception of my JM, all my other instruments are all short scale. I tune everything down a half step, as well. Heavier strings, and longer scale lengths, and stainless steel require greater hand strength to fret cleanly. At one point, before I acquired a Jaguar, I thought I was going to have to stick with Nylon string guitars. At that point, I could not longer play a Strat or JM. But after years of playing short scale guitars, the issues with my hands have improved to where I can play the JM for a few days in a row without it crippling me. I share this, because things can change as you get older.

I also have to be very careful to avoid loud sounds now, as well. For years I have been wearing ear plugs when the vacuum cleaner is running, or a leaf blower, or a circular saw. These kinds of noises hurt my ears. If I walk into the guitar center and some kid is wanking away full blast, I have to put my fingers in my ears. And I never go to clubs without ear plugs. Even with all these precautions, I still get bouts of Tinnitis that come and go at random.

But hell, my brother saw Les Paul play in NY a couple of months ago so it just goes to show that there is no reason to ever stop--but you have to be adaptable. Hubris is the one crime the Gods hate most of all.

I bought a set of Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky (12-16-24p-32-44-56) strings, and put 'em on my Epiphone Les Paul Jr. 90, today. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was a new guitar. Mellowed out the tones quite a bit, so it's not quite as bright as when I first bought it. Got the same strings on my Fender So Cal Speed Shop Strat, but for tuning that one C - C, my fingers didn't "question my sanity." I'll eventually string all of my guitars with 12s, save for my hollow body guitars (Ibanez Artcore AG75TBS & Peavey JF2 EX), that will both get a set of Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings (10-13-17-30-42-52), and both Telecasters will get Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky (11-15-22p-30-42-54) strings.

Matt

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

Hi everyone!

After a series of fortunate and unfortunate events I got stuck with 13-56 strings on my strat (I've had 10-46 before...) and I really like the tone, but the string tension is very high so i tuned it half step down to E flat and it got a little bit more comfortable to play but I still have problems with bending the 3rd string (which is wound)..

So here are my questions to you:
Do you guys have your guitars tuned in the standard tuning or do you drop it because at the moment I can't imagine how you guys play on these heavy gauges?
Would it be easyer to play if the 3rd string would be plain?
Am I a wussy complaining about the tension because I am used to the spaghetti light gauges and will eventualy get used to the heavy gauges and get stronger fingers with practice?

The reason I am asking this is because I really like the tone of my guitar now, it's so full round... you know what i mean and I am not particulary fond of the thought of going back to 10-46...

Thanks for the answers you guys are great and sorry for my spelling mistakes Smile !

It'd be easier to bend without the wound. People who play with heavy gauges don't tune down, and you are just having some shock at going up three gauges. Try 12s in standard tuning with a plain g. And then move up again if you like it. Not having the .13s up to full tension isn't giving you the full effect of the gauge.

And you only made three spelling mistakes. None of the misspellings were major. All the mistakes were on suffixes. Nothing worth apologizing. If you native language isn't English then you are a lot better than most of the native English users on this board or anywhere on the internet.

Zsch
Do you guys have your guitars tuned in the standard tuning or do you drop it because at the moment I can't imagine how you guys play on these heavy gauges?
Would it be easyer to play if the 3rd string would be plain?
Am I a wussy complaining about the tension because I am used to the spaghetti light gauges and will eventualy get used to the heavy gauges and get stronger fingers with practice?

zsch:

I have my guitar tuned to E, heavy strings (13-53 Pyramid flats with a wound G.)

My advice would be to hang in there and practice...you'll develop greater strength and endurance with a bit of practice time. Remember, there are folks out there who bend bass strings...so... good luck...

dp
Remember, there are folks out there who bend bass strings...so... good luck...

That's me! Very Happy

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

Ok thanks for the answers guys! I'll keep practising then Cool .

String changing. I do it fairly often, typically after around 6 or 8 hours of heavy use, which is usually some practices and a gig. I find I don't break nearly as many strings as I did, and they sound brighter. My question, is htis necessary for the lower strings D-A-E(low). I would think by there thickness they last longer. They also don't seem to get as rusty/dirty on the back side of the string like the thinner ones.

On the other hand, buying 3 singles is as much as buying the set, so should I just not worry about it and spend the extra 5 minutes and put on all new?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Danny, I would just replace them all. Like you said, you don't really save anything by only replacing a few strings. Also, you'll have all the strings in the same condition that way.

I think you said you use Chromes? When I was using Chromes, I had to change strings about as often as you stated. Since I moved to nickel flats (Pyramid Gold / TIs), I really don't need to change strings for quite a long time (its been months). I'm just paranoid that I'll break a string during a set, but the nickel flats hold up incredibly well. YMMV.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Zsch
The reason I am asking this is because I really like the tone of my guitar now, it's so full round... you know what i mean and I am not particulary fond of the thought of going back to 10-46...

Have you ever thought of going down to 12's with an unwound G?

www.apollo4.com

SURFmole

Zsch

Have you ever thought of going down to 12's with an unwound G?

Yes and I probably will... Though I got quite used to 13-56 (I have no problems with string bending anymore, hooray Smile ), my guitar would need a proper set up if I wanted to tune it to E standard but I am just too lazy for that.

Klas
imageI recently put on a set of the new Pyramid Nickel Classics 010-046 round wounds on my Mosrite Excellent. Sound and play great I think.

klas, where can I get these in Europe?

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I got them from Thomann I think but they are also available from Banzai Music in Germany, who might be cheaper on postage if you only plan to buy strings.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

thanks, couldnt find them at thomann, I dindt even know banzai.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I just checked and they are still available at Thomann:

http://www.thomann.de/nl/search_dir.html?sw=pyramid+nickel+classic

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

Zsch

I too, am a wuss when it comes to string tension. I find that I have to manage my hands very carefully to keep to the 'middle way'. I have a 25.5 scale JM which I absolutely love--but if I played it every day, excusively, my hands would be ruined in a matter of days.

I only play it for a few minutes at the end of a practice session, when my hands are warmed up. I can play a Jag or other short scale guitars, such as Gretsch, for hours, and I have no problems with Gibson, either. But the long scale guitars cross some critical threshold, for me. It wasn't always like this. It started about 6 years ago. But down tuning has made a big difference.

I tune all of my guitars down a semi-tone--except for a Taylor acoustic, a nylon string classical, and an electric sitar--these guitars 'suffer' at below concert pitch.

I learned the down tuning trick from a Roger McGuinn dvd years ago, and applied it first to my 12-strings. I liked the results so much I tried it on the JM and the Jags. Some heavy metal guys like to down tune a whole tone, but this is too much for me. If you do a google search, you will discover that down tuning is more common that you might imagine.

Seamoor Glas,
The Iterators

i think im going to try different kinds of flats. im done with chromes. i had bought a new set a 2 weeks ago and the G string unwound while i used the trem arm for a song, then i went and bought a new set. put them on, played with them for an hour or so, and the damn G string just broke! im pretty pissed. i had to put an extra roundwound G string i had on it. which soudns ok but its just too damn bright for the rest of the strings when i play chords. if i can't find some good flats im going to have to go back to rounds...

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Zanti, i haven't had this problem with chromes. Though the G's are more prone to break than other strings (except high E probably) Try to determine if it breaks and unwinds from the same place. This may indicate a rough spot on your bridge somewhere rubbing it.

Otherwise - you got 10 pages of info here on strings so have at it. Check out http://www.ballewsmusic.com/The-Surf-Shop-at-Ballew-s-Music-s/194.htm

to see if Keary has the strings you want.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

I finally put a set of flats on my guitar. I'm seeing now why so many people here swear by them. For now my surf guitar is a Tele with a Bigsby, and I've been going through different bridge pickups trying to find one that was bright but not ear-destroying, with no luck.

I was just considering removing the bridge plate altogether and putting a Filtertron pickup in there, but I thought I'd try some flats. They did the trick, I think. Still nice & bright in the bridge position, but the strings took off that shrill edge.

I'm currently using a GFS lipstick in the bridge position, and a GFS alnico fatbody in the neck, which sounds a bit like a Strat pickup.

http://www.reverbnation.com/thedeadranchhands

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZEW74mHjQk

I use D'Addario EXL 115 round wounds. .011/.014/.018/.028/.038/.049 on my Yamaha SGV300 and SGV800 guitars and a custom light gauge set of D'Addarios .010/.013/.017/.028/.038/.048 for my Jerry Jones electric sitar guitar (its fussy buzzing bridge likes the light plain strings and a bit heavier on the wound).

Interesting that so many of you use flatwounds. I have heard that they were ubiquitous back in the day and so many of the classic electric guitar sounds are flatwound strings. Is that true?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 928 29 Next