Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Ivan P., live in Tokyo

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

This is a somewhat delayed after-action report. Ivan P. (Space Cossacks, The Madeira) and I (“Moon Dawg”) were in Tokyo last week for a professional conference (we're both economists by day). The ever-helpful Ferenc of PdM had tipped us off to the existence of a place called the El Camino Club and put us in email touch with the owner. It’s a membership club where guitarists and drummers gather to play tunes from the Ventures’ songbook. Coincidentally it was only a short walk from our conference hotel in the Akasaka district of central Tokyo.

When you walk in, the first impression is that you’ve entered somebody’s rec room. And you have. Given Tokyo's rents, people live in smallish apartments, and probably none of the members has a rec room or garage at home unless he lives way out in the suburbs. A slightly raised stage up front sports a variety of amps and two drum kits. Facing the stage are half a dozen sofas and glass coffee tables. The walls around the back of the room are lined with the members’ vintage and reproduction guitars. And a few 1960s LP covers.

We got there Thursday around 9 pm and were greeted by the friendly club owner, Kenji Toda, who furnished us with drinks. Six members were already there, four of them on stage. One was in his thirties, I estimate, while the rest were in their fifties. For a visual (please forgive the stereotypes) imagine Pat Morita’s heavier brother on bass, Rockin’ Enocky’s dad on rhythm guitar (a Teisco del Rey model, Ivan told me), the Dalai Lama’s younger brother on lead guitar, and an energetic white-haired fifty-ish guy on drums. We listened to a few tunes, faithful covers of the Ventures’ arrangements with rock-steady bass, rhythm, and drums. Then a few more with the thirty-ish guy switching in on lead (with a Telecaster).

Then Ivan borrowed a red Japanese Stratocaster and took the stage with the same backing band. With only a little language difficulty negotiating song titles, they played six or eight Ventures and Shadows tunes. I sat on the couch with an idiot grin on my face.

Other combinations and permutations played. After hearing “Ginza Lights” I shouted out a request for “Manchurian Beat” (the only other Ventures Japan-market tune title I could recall), which was fulfilled. We also got “Caravan” with the Mel Taylor drum solo beat for beat. I counted five versions of “Walk Don’t Run” during the evening.

Later in the evening Ivan re-took the stage with a vintage Yamaha guitar (warmer tone) and played some different tunes with some different members who had come in, including "Telstar," "War of the Satellites," and a stab at the classic eleki tune “Black Sand Beach”.

At some point a younger woman came in, introduced to us with “she’s a sing-ah woman”. Single woman? Singer woman? She sat on the frontmost couch and played tambourine.

We were ready to go at 11:30, but Kenji (on guitar synth) and the young woman took the stage. Singer woman it was. And as a singer, she was pleasant to look at. We were treated, if that’s the word, to some unfamiliar 1970’s J-pop.

We finally got out around midnight, but not before being asked for ¥3000 ($30) a head. Well worth it for a surreal immersion in the international fellowship of Ventures fans. It’s amazing to know that an American guitarist can fly halfway around the world and find a pickup band who know the same instrumentals in the same arrangements.

Wow, that's amazing! What a great story, it must have been quite an experience. I think I remember Ferenc posting a photo of himself playing there, and he was a good 4 feet taller than everyone on stage: "big in Japan".

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Very cool. Perhaps surf is the international language of music.

CUTBACK

Wow, Moon Dawg is fast!! I just returned home late last night after my trip to Seattle (the Surf Coasters & Pollo del Mar show), Tokyo (six days at a conference) and then LA (the Surf Coasters & Slacktone show). I'm sick as a dog, jetlagged to hell and absolutely exhausted. But hell, it was an unforgettable trip. I'll (I hope) write some more about the shows I saw, but here are some photos (many of them taken by him) to go with MD's exhaustive report:

I played seven songs the first time around, through a fake Hank-Marvin-model Strat and a blonde Fender Vibro King:
Walk, Don't Run '64
Diamond Head
Journey to the Stars
The Fugitive
The Savage
Man Of Mystery
Blue Star
Theme for Young Lovers

Then the young Dalai Lama (??) played a few, seeming a bit nervous:

Here are some guitars hanging on the walls of the club (including several vintage Mosrite Ventures Models, a few of them signed by Nokie, who apparently has been there several times and gotten up and played with the guys):

Moon Dawg and another colleague enjoying the music, while Pat Morito plays bass Laughing :

I got up and played a few more songs, this time with a beautiful vintage Yamaha SG-5 which played amazingly well and sounded fantastic (hmmmm....). The songs were:
The Cruel Sea
Black Sand Beach
Pipeline
Walk, Don't Run '64 (again! for the different bass player)
Telstar
Penetration
Maybe one more? Not War of the Satellites, sadly - the guys didn't know it.
(I hadn't played these songs in years, so it was a bit rough in places trying to remember all the parts!)

Then the 'ringers' came on and played a bunch of songs, including many obscure late-sixties Ventures stuff. They were all REALLY good players, looking like they were having a time of their lives (though they probably do this every night!) and most of them could play several instruments, all very well, switching off through the night:

Then Kenji, the owner of the club, got up on a white modern Yamaha equipped with a guitar synth module, and the girl got up to sing. They played maybe half a dozen J-pop songs (Japanese pop from the seventies), which sounded pretty cool. The girl was easier on the eyes than on the ears, but it was still very enjoyable.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3252/2859069025_e8fd1b4427.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3260/2859898620_71aa95a274.jpg

The night came to an end at that point (around Midnight), and so as we said our goodbyes, we took a photo, Kenji, Moon Dawg and I, on the street outside of the club (notice the sign with a Mosrite guitar in the right corner of the photo):

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3189/2859070331_5e0846ce78.jpg

A lot of fun, and thanks so much to Ferenc for the tip and helping us get in contact with Kenji. If any of you are ever in Japan, you must go to the El Camino club!!

(BTW, Moon Dawg and I bought a LOT of eleki CDs earlier that day in the local Tower. More on that later.)

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

W Exclamation W

www.surfintheeye.com

So cool Ivan! Any idea what 70s J-Pop was being played? Any Meiko Kaji? That looks like my dream club Laughing

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I'm so happy it worked out for you and MD! what a cool and weird place that is- it would be great if we could have something like that here.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Ferenc, is that where you guys played last time you were in Japan?

Ivan, that SGV looked great.

Wow! What cool story!
Sounds like quite a unique experience.

The Volcanos

Damn, Ivan...............! And hey, you better get well quick! You have "work" to do this weekend in Cincinnati!

See ya there!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

JakeDobner
Ferenc, is that where you guys played last time you were in Japan?

Here is my report from 2003:
http://pollodelmar.com/words/japan/right.html
Pollo played there with Nokie Edwards 2005, here's a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76MG9KH4FU4
Not trying to steal Ivan's thread, just commenting on what a cool and happening place this is, too bad it is so far away, and we all can't enjoy it. I was just so happy that I could share some of my experiences with Ivan and Larry. I had also made a map of record and music stores in the Shibuya area, if anybody is going to Japan and would like a pdf of the map, let me know.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Ryan, I know nothing about J-pop. so I have no clue what they played, sorry.

Jake, it's an SG-5, not SGV (meaning, it's an original sixties model, not the reissue) - and I heartily agree! I've always had an interest in those guitars, and after playing this one I'd really like to pick up one (though probably the reissue). Lots of fun!

Eddie, I'm about to go get some antibiotics - pray for me!! Very Happy

Thanks, Rick and Carol and all others, it was definitely a memorable experience. I hope you all have a chance to play there, too!! (And Ferenc, please, hijack away! No problem at all. I forgot you played with Nokie there, though now I remember. How unbelievably cool! Lucky dog!)

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:25:31

Zak, I followed your SGV saga on the gear forum. Glad to hear you're really enjoyin' it. It's not a priority for me, but I'm sure I'll pick one up sooner or later. It would be just for fun around the house. Can't imagine gigging with this guitar, but who knows... I guess it's really working for you! It's definitely more of a Mosrite-type guitar than a Fender, which is cool.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

There is an SGV-800 on Craigs List for sale near me today, $300. Is that a good deal?

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:25:34

zak

Stormtiger
There is an SGV-800 on Craigs List for sale near me today, $300. Is that a good deal?

YES! I'd jump on it, now that I know how cool these things are. When they were new they used to sell for around $600.

Oh Dear. Just when I thought I was finished...

Sounds like a great experience, Ivan. Glad to have another convert to the SG-5/V series.

Stormtiger

That's a killer deal even if the paint is diarrhea-burst Antigua.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

PolloGuitar
I had also made a map of record and music stores in the Shibuya area, if anybody is going to Japan and would like a pdf of the map, let me know.

I'm going to keep this in mind. I studied Japanese in college and though it freaks me out in a lot of ways I want to go there someday

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Stormtiger

zak

Stormtiger

YES! I'd jump on it, now that I know how cool these things are. When they were new they used to sell for around $600.

Oh Dear. Just when I thought I was finished...

No, no, NO! You're never finished! You're no quitter! Buy that guitar!!!

Goto Page: 1 2 Next