Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Wound or unwound G string for surf guitar?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hey surfers! I'm fairly new to the surf guitar game and was wondering if more players are using wound or unwound G strings for their Jags, Strats, etc. I use D'Addario flatwound Chromes 11-50 with a wound G but feel an unwound G soul give a more "twangy" surf tone which I prefer. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cool

I find bending on a wound G to suck. So, unwound for me plz.

I used a wound G string on my Jaguars. Plain G on every other type of guitar.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Thanks for your responses! I don't mind the wound G on my Strat or Guild Starfire but on my Jaguar a wound G feels too stiff and sounds too warm so I think I'll go unwound G on that guitar.

Depends on the guitar. I don't like the plain Gs I have on my Jazzmasters.

I say: "Totally wound, no exception!"

thank you for your attention to this matter at this time.

That’s up to you.

The Exotic Guitar of Kahuna Kawentzmann

You can get the boy out of the Keynes era, but you can’t get the Keynes era out of the boy.

I think the unwound G has a little more "bit", at least with Fender strings. Still have to try D'Addarios, but I'll put a set of them on my Teisco this afternoon and see...

http://www.myspace.com/losderrumbes

G strings are every guitarist's least favorite. I use the D'Addarios Chromes .12-whatever, because the G string always breaks if I use anything smaller (maybe I play rhythm a bit too aggressively). Good luck in finding what works for you. Cool

I've found that it really depends on the guitar and the size of the frets. On a Mosrite, plain G's are fine, but on a guitar with higher frets I find that a plain G will tend to go a bit sharp unless you use the lightest of touches when playing chords. I always use a wound G on my Rickenbacker 12 string because using the G strings higher up on the neck with a plain string for the octave sound in some Byrds songs always seem a bit out of tune.

kilometers
G strings are every guitarist's least favorite. I use the D'Addarios Chromes .12-whatever, because the G string always breaks if I use anything smaller (maybe I play rhythm a bit too aggressively). Good luck in finding what works for you. Cool

waddaya mean "too aggressively"? Spank that bad boy Twisted Evil

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Wound !!! I can't explain what makes me sonically prefer these but I guess it has to do with being able to do bar chords on the fourth string without it sounding all wrong.

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

well what i have been doing lately is buying 13 gauge Chromes, switched the B and G strings with lighter gauge strings, which have been G's and B's from a 10 gauge pack of Daddarios XLs. and kept the original 13 gauge E string from the chromes. i like the 13 gauge E because when i trem pick notes on that string the string doesnt feel all lose and slaps around like lighter strings do. and well the G string from the 10 gauge pack feels better and sounds better in my opinion, and it doesnt unwind when i abuse the whammy bar , which has happened at least 4 times and made me switch back to wound strings, and then i rememebred how i hated them and changed em back haha. Oh BTW these strings are being used on a strat.

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

If you're not playing 16-60 gauge strings like DD, it's not surf music. Also, you need tigers and lions in your backyard.

Matter is just energy waiting to happen.

Mr_Reverb63
well what i have been doing lately is buying 13 gauge Chromes, switched the B and G strings with lighter gauge strings, which have been G's and B's from a 10 gauge pack of Daddarios XLs. and kept the original 13 gauge E string from the chromes. i like the 13 gauge E because when i trem pick notes on that string the string doesnt feel all lose and slaps around like lighter strings do. and well the G string from the 10 gauge pack feels better and sounds better in my opinion, and it doesnt unwind when i abuse the whammy bar , which has happened at least 4 times and made me switch back to wound strings, and then i rememebred how i hated them and changed em back haha. Oh BTW these strings are being used on a strat.

Zanti, why don't you just buy some single 13's?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

im basically just taking off the B and G string of the 13 gauge flats Danny, and replacing them with lighter gauge B and G strings, so i just buy single B and G Ernie Balls, but since i ran out i had to put some from a Daddario set of XLS. the B and G strings are basically the strings i bend the most. and i hate bending wound G strings haha

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Mr_Reverb63
im basically just taking off the B and G string of the 13 gauge flats Danny, and replacing them with lighter gauge B and G strings, so i just buy single B and G Ernie Balls, but since i ran out i had to put some from a Daddario set of XLS. the B and G strings are basically the strings i bend the most. and i hate bending wound G strings haha

I agree!

Lions and Tigers? What about Bears? Lions and Tigers and Bears..!!?? Oh My!!!

Wound. But I think it has to do with the gauge you buy more than anything, right? Thinner sets use an unwound kind, seems to me. I use 13s or bigger, so I always get a wound string.

SSIV

LHR
Wound. But I think it has to do with the gauge you buy more than anything, right? Thinner sets use an unwound kind, seems to me. I use 13s or bigger, so I always get a wound string.

As far as sets are concerned that is indeed the case. There are a lot of people, myself included, that substitute a plain 3rd string for a wound one. The 10-48 D'Addario Chromes I use on some of my Gretsches comes stock with a .020" wound third string but I replace that with a .017 plain string. The reason is that the core of the .020" wound string is actually smaller than the core of the .017 plain. The effect, simple, the wound string needs to be bent a greater amount than the plain string in order to acheive the same amount of pitch change.

I have heard of some string sets that include both such as the Sadowsky 11 - 48 set that includes an .020 w and an .018p for the third string.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next