PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
229 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
207 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
175 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
169 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
130 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
63 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
63 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
49 days ago

dp: dude
30 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

17%

17%

Donate Now

Cake June Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink SURF DRUM DVD here at last! Really!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

i finally got to watch this today. it was cool to see all the people in it (including rock star BTD) and hear what they had to say. very well done. i'd recommend it to anyone that's into surf music or surfing culture, not just drummers.

carol

www.surfintheeye.com

This DVD is awesome, and if your any kind of fan of surf music I HIGHLY recommend grabbing it Exclamation

Wow!!!! The DVD is absolutely incredible! I can't imagine anyone
at all into surf music not enjoying this awesome DVD. I'd rate it at
least 11 on a scale of 10. Thanks to everyone involved for this
fantastic labor-of-love. Jeff, it's great to see you thumpin' the bass
on here. Ya done good!!!!

Thumbs Up Rock Cheers

Bob

Bob

got it last week (thanks Matt -?- for shipping with the speed of Dusty!)

as a historical perspective, too much is left out to be an allround documentary in the true sense of the word. we know how the dvd came about, as a sort of accidental byproduct, so that's fully understandable.

but!... in terms of atmosphere and getting across the happy fun cool vibe of what surf music is, it's spot on. I think you could watch a bruce brown movie and the dvd after that, and it would blend quite allright.

I'll say this. a) I litterly had cramps in the corners of my mouth from smiling after watching. b) my wife was home earlier as expected when I watched and sat down about 15 minutes into the documentary, saying she was headed for bed soon. She then watched the entire documentary AND about half of the 'instructions' section. Said she was blown away. consider my wife has _very _little interest in surfmusic, and no interest whatsoever in drumming, and I say, the dvd is a winner.

Cool Cool

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

I just ordered my copy today. I'm stoked. That said, I hardly ever get to play my drums. Every time I sit behind my set and thump a few toms, my kids come running yelling "My turn!" So, I guess I really bought the DVD for the future surf drummers in the house. Cool

Sean

Because of this DVD, I've finally learned how to play surf drums! Laughing

But seriously, it was really interesting to hear what Dusty had to say. Although I've picked many of the same techniques over the years, it was still pretty neat.

Science friction burns my fingers.

WOW!
"Pounding Surf" is a must-see for every member of the Surf band - not just us drummers. It provides all of us with some great perspective to help advance our collective playing and enjoyment of all flavors of Surf music. Thanks to all the people who contributed to making this resource available!

*Dick B.
The Aquatudes
http://www.aquatudes.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Aquatudes/107419619521

Killer vid...congrats to all involved....buy it!

www.northofmalibu.com

bump

Thumbs Up

I just got my DVD today and "wow" really doesn't adequately cover it!!!! I couldn't stop watching it.

Initially not being a drummer I was going to pass on it, but am I glad I didn't!

The DVD is one of those that was well thought out, put together in a fashion that "makes sense" and has something for every one. And I learned a LOT from it in spite of the fact I'm not a drummer and I grew up in that era.

An excellent DVD and it should be in every surf/instro players collection.

Mel

Ordered it last night. I'm looking forward to this one.

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Wow! what a video...er DVD.The whole package is really well done and informative to the whole surf culture.A real history lesson indeed. As a drummer I found myself in absolute paradise.Dusty Watson is a beast,and plays as well kinda looks like the bastard son of Buddy Rich (anybody ever notice that?).I've been a fan of the man for years and found myself wanting to watch this cat play for hours on end .Hell I think Dusty needs his own seperate DVD.

Hey not to complain or anything,but did anyone notice that when they were talking about the new wave and punk sounds having surf influences they flashed a picture of the Donnas with the label The Go-Go's on top of it.It was one of those Embarassed times when you actually feel embarrassed for the other person.Hell some people will never notice the goof,but if there's ever a second release they may want to fix that minor flaw.

Anyway I'm having a special screening of the DVD with my fellow Surfaholic friends this weekend.Also I like to commend the person who is charge of filling out the orders for this DVD.I ordered it around noon Sat ,and got it in the mail Mon afternoon plus I live in Indiana.Wow!! Very Happy

Reverb, It's A Way Of Life!

Brandonio,
its no secret that Dusty is a huge Buddy Rich fan.
its very evident in his style, and especially in the drum solo he does live in the middle of "tiki bar crawl"
He was in a big band that played live at the age of 6 I believe.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Just received my copy today. From what I've been able to watch at work Laughing , it looks excellent. Makes me want to get on home and get behind my drums.

Sean

I have now had the chance to watch this DVD in its entirety and I absolutely loved it. Whether you play the drums or not, I highly recommend it. The history of surf music alone is worth the price of admission. The DVD production is done in such a laid-back style too. Kudos to the folks at Surfdrummer for putting together a really enjoyable DVD. It was well worth the wait.

Sean

Bought this through Matt a few weeks ago. Thanks this was sent overseas and arrived within a few days, works fine on my pal dvd player too. I'm chuffed! best thing i've bought for ages and i don't even play drums!

I've had the chance to watch this video a few times now. I learned a lot from watching it, actually--not neccessarly about drumming, but about some of the musicians; where they've been, what they've done, and how things came to be. It's interesting. I hightly recommend getting it if you haven't done so yet. Smile

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

Thank you Matt! You were lightning quick in your delivery of this cool disc. Thanks for the SG101 discount too!

There is a ton of interesting historical information on this DVD and it is a pleasure to see and hear it from such a wide variety of sources.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the part in the DVD where Jim Pash (R.I.P.) was instructing us all in the proper technique for "Wipeout"...it reminded of a gig we (The Torquays) did down in Newport Beach a few years ago where Jim came up to me and gave me a personal instruction on the tune, even though we didn't play Wipeout that night. He was very passionate about the correct cadence being utilized by whoever played that tune...and I much appreciated the lesson.

Dusty really should do more instructional videos…on DVD or YouTube! He is a madman! Looking forward the Purple Orchid show this weekend!

• Surfbeatnik

I watched the first part of the DVD with the Los Venturas, and their drummer really wanted to get one, so I gave him mine.
now I need to get another one.
Rolling Eyes
I think that the history of surf part is great.

didn't get to see the drum lessons part yet.

Great job to all involved.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I watched this DVD again last night. Just thought I would take the opportunity to encourage folks who haven't purchased it to rush out and do so. Great music, great instruction, great history and just plain fun.

http://www.surfdrums.com/home.html

Sean

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next