Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Official Madeira July 2006 California Tour Thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

I've seen the Hotel Utah more packed (for the KFJC "Battle of
the Bands" Shows), but I've never seen a more boisterous
crowd there. And the Hotel Utah got rocked like it never got
rocked before!!! The Madeira came out with "guns blazing".
They absolutely "tore our heads off"!!! Ivan says it was the
best gig they ever played. Pollo Del Mar came out and played
their usual awesome set. And then Slacktone came out, and
"levelled the place"!!! It was an inspiration to see three bands
of this caliber on the same bill. They were all "fired up" and
playing their best. People came down to S.F. from Oregon,
and up from L.A. The Pyronauts came over from Auburn (a 3 hour
drive). The Messhugga Beach Party band was there (Danny was
glowing: Ivan played the Madeira's set through Danny's awesome
Dual Showman, and then signed it, as did Dave Wronski!!!). Every-
body was chipping in with set-ups and break-downs of the bands.
It was a real community thing going on. Yes, Phil Dirt was in atten-
dance. I don't think the Pope has ever gotten the receptiion that Phil
(deservedly) got at the Hotel Utah today. Good vibes were every-
where. I gotta say this was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
I will try to put together a more detailed review later.

Bob S.

bigtikidude
OK I'm not kissing Jamies butt here, just saw this post of hers on Cowabunga and thought it was funny and would be wanted to be known on here.
Jeff(btd)

the Madeira, Pollo del Mar and Slacktone....this place
has never been more packed!
quick....send a news crew down here...
PHIL DIRT in the house!!! =(:o

overnout...
your roving wahine

Bob

Phil Dirts review from Cowabunga

Hotel Utah Show Mini Review

First, I must thank Ferenc for his continuing excellence and support of the surf scene. Great show!

Madeira - WOW!
Having heard them only from disc, and being duly impressed with their power-growth over their predescessors the Space Cossacks (no slouches in their own right), I expected excellence. I was not dissapointed - no, that's too understated. I was amazed at the ease with which they delivered flawless adventures in mid-eastern and spanish structures, and particularly impressed with their powerhouse cover of "Everybody Up!" Great show!

Pollo Del Mar - AND HOW!
Their stellar chemistry and power continue to evolve into the stratosphere, where the rarified air enhances the vibes... no, I don't know what that means, except to try to portray without gushing the pure joy they are to see and hear. "Hall of the Muntain King" has become too cool for school!

Slacktone - Wa-Hou!
I am forever in awe of how three guys can sond like five... Sam is the ultimate rock bassist, with his hair flying as he drive his bass crazy, and Dusty - well it's him and Jeremy (PDM) above all others. Together, they are lock-synce with Dave's where-are-all-the-guitars-coming from monster sound and style. Thanks for playing "Lift And Separate!"

I haven't been to a show in a long time, and it was soooo good to see familair faces. Members of the surf family - the Pyronauts, the Del Mars, the Berzerkers, Shig & Buzz, Voodoo Court, the Aquamarines, the Illuminati, and more...

The house was packed...

Phil Dirt

Jeff(bigtikidude)

WOW!
The show at the Hotel Utah was amazing. All three bands were top notch and seeing both the Madiera and Slacktone for the first time was incredible. Dusty is a MACHINE on the drums. That's pure endurance folks!

Science friction burns my fingers.

Well, I just dropped off the exhuasted lads at the SF airport. They had a great tour, and thank the state of California for opening up to them. Dave Wronski said from the stage at the Utah, "The Madeira come from the midwest, and take us (meaning the surf bands) to school..." They really knocked the crowd in SF out, and they had a HUGE merch sale to proove it. They played material off Sandstorm and The Ruins, as well as "Macarena" from the New World Relampagos project, the Space Cossacks "Planet of the Apes" and a new song call "The Saracen". It was blistering intensity from begining to end.
I know there are a lot of SF/Bay Area scenesters, both active and lurking, on SG101- I want to thank you all so much for coming to the show and absolutely packing the Hotel Utah to the brim!
-ferenc
PS- It was great to see Phil Dirt at a show, there was a lot of love coming at him from everybody in the crowd. Again, the quotable Dave Wronski: "Only 25 years on the radio? Man, you were just getting started!"

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I've been a surf fan for some 2+ years now, but I had never made it to a single show before this one. This was my first ever, and man I was so blown away, both by all the kickass music and by just seeing that all the guys there were in fact actual human beings. I briefly got to meet Ferenc and Ivan and PHIL DIRT! I was so elated, I would have been content just to listen to Ivan give an econ lecture. Thank you guys so much for such an awesome experience, and a BIG thanks to Ferenc for getting me past the guy at the door. Worship

Of course, the show itself was awesome. I was so blown away by Dave's guitar tones which I could feel resonating through my whole body. Slacktone's sound is just soo big and way too cool. The highlights for me were Lift and Separate (good call Phil Dirt) and watching Jeremy (PDM) drunkenly(?) headbang at my side through the whole of Blast Bolero.
Pollo's set was terrific. The range of styles they played in their songs was great, and it was so cool to see Ferenc and Jono toss the lead back and forth. I loved the tempo changes in Nightsticks, which was huge, and I'm always a sucker for Flash of Green.
And since this is a Madeira thread, I've got to give them a say, and I say that they were my favorite. I expected from their album that they would be intense, but man I had no idea how far they would crank it up. I adore Ivan's writing and his fingerflying, and the whole Spanish/Middle Eastern style works so well within the surf context. Mixing the two together live was almost overwhelming. The new song Saracen was so outrageousely awesome. My view was cut off through some of their set, but when I heard him playing that it sounded so incredible and different I thought "what the hell is he doing with that guitar?" and I had to get a look. Saracen and Ricochet did it for me, as did Patrick's enthusiasm on stage. He's as fun to watch as he is to listen to. Just a stellar performance overall.

I'm still high off of the experience, and so I thank everyone I met, everyone I didn't, one and all for a thrilling time. The experience only further deepened my adoration of surf music as a whole and I can't wait to come back for more.

B

I thought about catching a flight up at the last minute but my "Mr. Mom" duties prevented such. Maybe next summer we can have all 3 bands together for a show in Surf City (Huntington Beach.) Not only did Maderia exceed all expectations, all the lads in the band are absolute gentlemen.

Here is my rig (complete with Ivan recommended Rotosound purples) with Madeira hoping for a miracle to capture that Madeira sound through osmosis.

RobbieReverb
Ivan played the Madeira's set through Danny's awesome Dual Showman, and then signed it, as did Dave Wronski!!!).

It's true, I'm like a giddy, rambunctious teenage girl all a flutter when in the presence of the guitar masters. :oops2:

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Last edited: Aug 01, 2006 09:41:17

Great show, guys, thanks for trekking out to the left coast!
[image](http://123pichosting.com/thumbs/1845Madiera_sm.jpg)

Scott

Yup, I was there too. Amazingly intense and awesome performance! Worship Rock Worship

Twisted Evil > Angel

I was in attendance as well, and like I said to a handful of my friends at the show -- seeing all three bands like that in the same day makes me want to do one of two things:

1) Go home and practice for about 96 straight hours

or

2) Sell off all my gear and just become a professional appreciator.

Thanks to all the bands for making it out, and to everyone else at the show -- I haven't seen a crowd that frantic about what they were hearing since the Surf Coasters came through the Bay Area for the first time and blew up Thee Parkside.

~B~

It was great to see Phil Dirt at a show, there was a lot of love coming at him from everybody in the crowd. Again, the quotable Dave Wronski: "Only 25 years on the radio? Man, you were just getting started!"

I don't think Ferenc's line could have rung any more true when he said "Phil, everyone in this room wants you back on the radio."

Hey! I have pics from the Baja Cantina and the Lava Lounge. I'm sorry I took so long to do this, but I really needed the rest. Besides that, I miss these guys. I became spoiled having them around so much. I hope they come back to California sooner than later.

Pictures from the Baja:

Pictures from the Lava Lounge:

Baja Marty loves "Intruder!"

"Turn the knob to 10 and break it off!" -Baja Marty

So in slight review, I am extremly glad the Madeira came out west this summer. They put on amazing shows even in spite of criminal volume vilolations (joking here). I was really wiped out working in the heat, and then driving all over so cal to see all 5 of the shows, but it was well worth it in hindsight.
I really hope they had a good time, good tour, sold tons of Merch, and
enjoyed themselvs.

I am sure they are catchin up on lost time away from home, But was wondering when they get a few moments if one or all could give a brief Ca. tour wrap up summary.

thanks again guys , you rule!!!!!
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I had tons of fun seeing these guys play live, and just hanging out with them in general. As Jeff and I always agree, there's no substitute to live surf music, even if the cds are good (like in the Madeira's case), it's no match for the aural onsalught of the actual experience.
I managed to see only 2 shows, and I wish I was able to see more, but the one I really wanted to see (Hotel Utah), was way out of reach...
I was glad Ivan was able to use my amp to its capacity in 2 of the 3 shows...I was really pissed when the jerk at the Pitcher House kept telling them to turn down, and later told Slacktone to turn down AND cut them short.
I'm really hoping to see the Madeira again in So-Cal...

The Scimitars

Marty looks like he is soaking up some serious reverb. Hope someone brought a roll of Bounty to wipe him down after...

Hey all!

Ivan of the Madeira here. It's been a week since the final show of our California tour, so I thought I'd just write a quick note. My wife flew out to San Francisco on Monday morning and we stayed there until Friday, so I've only been home for just over a day. Unfortunately, I have to fly to NY tomorrow morning, and won't be back until Friday evening. So, a fuller report on the tour will have to wait a bit more.

Suffice it to say that we had a grand time. The tour was an unqualified success! Yes, even financially, which is a near-miracle! The San Francisco show was definitely the highlight of the tour already full of highlights. That was probably the best, most special surf show I have ever attended, and we feel really lucky to have been a part of it.

There are many people to thank, and I'll get to them when I write a fuller report. However, i just want to thank all of you that have written such nice things on SG101 (and Cowabunga). We'd peek in once a day or so while on the road, and reading the great reviews definitely made the whole experience more exciting, just knowing that people were digging the music so much! Thank you all, we really appreciate it.

I think I'll just leave it at this right now. More later....
Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Just want to add my 2 cents about the Madeira tour in Southern California. "Thank you very much to everyone involved!"
I did not make the first few shows (I live out of town) so I was very anxious to get to Hollywood for the Lava Lounge show (Boardwalkers/Madeira/Slacktone). It was a Thursday night and I was going to the "Cars & Guitars show at the Peterson Auto Museum first (also in Hollywood). A surfband with Swedish exchange students called the Lunatones were playing there. The ZZ top dude,Billy was there as well.(sorry, I was more interested in seeing the surfband) (BTW, very nice museum) I saw the members of the Madeira crusing through the museum and we checked out some of the cars before the Lunatones played. I just caught a couple of songs since I did not want to be late to the Lava Lounge. (Plus Hollywood after dark can be kinda weird if you don't know where you are going)
I found the Lava Lounge after only a couple of wrong turns. It is in a small,crowded mini mall. The Lava Lounge is dimly lit but I saw surfshow guru's Bigtikidude and Baja Marty. I was introduced to SG101 members Captain Springfield and Kristena (Tikimania) at their table. (It is almost as cool to meet the surf fans as the musicians) I was trying get my car moved so it would not get towed away (Thanks Marty!) so I only caught some of the Boardwalkers. (Excellent Spaghetti Western song stuck in my recollection of their set)
When the Madeira started I was expecting a good run through of the album "Sandstorm" and some covers as a bonus. I was very pleasantly surprised that the setlist included songs by the "New World Relampagos","Space Cossacks", and a new song (not on any album) as well as the favorites from "Sandstorm". The covers by the Treble Spankers and the Surf Coasters were magnificent. I could not imagine them playing any better. I might be spoiled for future surfshows. (even in California!) All of the members of the Madeira could not have been nicer people.
Ending the night was Slacktone,as usual they ripped,even with technical difficulties. (Guitar cord to Dave's magic box causing some problems) His sound is so clear you sometimes forget how loud it is. (Yes,I forgot earplugs again) Dusty and Sam were excellent as well. Hard to gauge a Slacktone performance due to the pure professionalism of the bandmembers. (They make it look easy)
Even after Slacktone played the Madeira stayed with me. BTW, thanks for everyone who shared pictures. (mine kinda sucked)

PS. Kilaueas in less than a month!! (Sorry to those who do not live in California)

Trode

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3