Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
329 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
257 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
257 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
177 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
155 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
124 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
117 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
78 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
11 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
11 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The Madeira - Carpe Noctem

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

So, Zak, I have one question for you: how exactly do you know what Alan Parsons Project album covers look like?? I don't remember ever seeing even one! (I thought they did Blinded by the Light, until I just checked on Google - turns out not. I don't recognize any of their song titles, but I'm sure I've heard some of their stuff.)

Seriously, though, I'm blown away by your detailed comments. It's an incredibly rewarding feeling to see people 'get it' and appreciate the music to this extent after working so hard on it for a very long time (and there's no question that a LOT of hard work and thought went into this album). I thank you (and Ryan, of course) deeply.

Doug, I got the new Los Twang! Marvels CD after coming back from Toronto, and it's incredible. I love it!!! Can't get enough of it. I hope you'll like it, too.

OK, I'll be without the internet for the next two days, so I'll see you all Thursday! Play nice, kiddies! Wink

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 23:03:53

Here is a good gallery of Hipgnosis covers, I think everyone will recognize more than a few.
http://sound.jp/hipgnosis/yapwall/yhip.html

Ruhar
But at the same time, it doesn't come off as "proggy" or "mathematical", which is a huge challenge when trying to write complex, but interesting stuff.

here here!

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

When I was a kid my friend and I took his older brother's crappy 70s records, and had a "melting of the records" ceremony while wearing the sleeves like pope hats. Alan Parsons was in that pile, along with Emerson Lake & Palmer and a few others hahaha.

LMAO There's a few around here I'd like to submit to that ceremony!

Oh and sorry Off Topic

Just got notice that my order was SHIPPED and now I can't wait!!

Have heard nothing but GREAT things about and from these guys.

td

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

After downloading from Amazon (seeing more surf bands there by the way), I was playing Undercurrents when my wife walked into my office and asked if the song was from a James Bond movie (we both love them).

It did seem to fit the genre in a very uplifting and inspiring way. So there is a marketing idea for you!

There are many good original songs by bands on this site. But I think that Undercurrents and Argosy by the TomorrowMen are really special. They are as good as any of the classics.

Paul

Paul

ColtsSurf
There are many good original songs by bands on this site. But I think that Undercurrents and Argosy by the TomorrowMen are really special. They are as good as any of the classics.

Paul

Shocked Wow, thanks Paul!

Danny Snyder

_

ColtsSurf
After downloading from Amazon (seeing more surf bands there by the way), I was playing Undercurrents when my wife walked into my office and asked if the song was from a James Bond movie (we both love them).

It did seem to fit the genre in a very uplifting and inspiring way. So there is a marketing idea for you!

Wow, thanks, Paul! That's very kind of you. Sadly, I think the Bond-movies people are today more interested in modern-sounding stuff than twangy guitars, but it's good to know the song can evoke those images for some.

And I absolutely agree about Argosy - in fact, all four songs from the TomorrowMen CD-EP are brilliant! I highly recommend that you pick it up from Danny at once! I think he's practically giving them away, too...

Thanks again.
Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I don't know about other sites, but Rhapsody has loads of surf, and then what they classify as "surf revival" for the more contemporary acts. That has basically been my gateway into a deeper appreciation of surf. It's how I found out about the Space Cossacks and, subsequently, The Madeira. Ivan has been a real help in recommending others as well. Amazon does have a lot of stuff too. That's really good because I haven't been able to walk into a music store for years without throwing up. I love jazz (not smooth) and surf, both of which are drastically underrepresented, even in independent stores. As a recent newcomer I can definitely say that the appreciation and camaraderie among surf players/enthusiasts is very welcoming. My enjoyment was always on the fringe (Dick Dale, Ventures, Chantays) until discovering this site. Something that's really cool is that one of my daughters shares this interest in surf as well. She is only nine, has perfect pitch and is an incredible pianist-very advanced for her age. She has been listening with me, then she goes and works on her own arrangements of songs. That's very exciting.

I've been listening to this album everyday since I got it last Saturday. Great reviews here by so many, and all I can do is agree---this is an amazing album. I like how the Madeira continue to evolve and grow, even though their other albums are so accomplished. Lots of amazing tracks. Undercurrents has been singled out, for good reason. I already think of it as a modern classic. With his writing on Sandstorm and now this, Patrick has to be one of my new favorite composers.

The guitar tone is some of the best I've heard--that goes for all the music. Each musician seems fully able to pull off anything the music requires. The rhythm section also has to be given special mention. Dane just has such a command of dynamics as the drummer. The way he pummels the floor tom in unison as Ivan trem picks the low strings then goes to the ride as the guitar hits the octave figure really opens the music up and launches it like a slingshot. Very effective, and almost a Madeira trademark to me.

It is so cool that in this day and age, a band can still find fertile territory in the genre of surf music to be innovative and fresh without straying too far.

Ivan, I always remember what you wrote once about wanting to be what surf would have sounded like today if there had been an unbroken line of development from the first wave until now. I really think The Madeira succeeds in letting us all know.

What can I say but, thank you very much, websurfer!! I'm really glad you like it that much, and that you hear all those things in there. I'm sure Patrick, Dane and Todd will be very grateful for your kind words, too!

Thanks again.
Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

I have had this disk since early June and it is damn near worn out now. Mind blowing!!

www.myspace.com/vondrats
www.myspace.com/therobotssurfband

Dear Ivan & Madeiras,

A few more lines about CARPE NOCTEM;

According to my heart, this is very likely the release of the year, if not of the decade...Thrilling guitar tones, amazing section work, absolutely commanding writing, and awesome election of covers...
I dig for instance SOS, even more than the original (that may sound like a sacrilege...but hey, you guys are the fire that renews the tradition!)
And the way the disk end, couldn´t be better done.

It makes me feel I am immortal. Really. Endless freedom.

In that sense, thanks Madeiras!!!

I regret living so far away from you, and not being able to check you guys out live, but at least I can get a glimpse on You Tube.

So, for those of you out htere who do not have this CD already, go and buy it immediatly, you will not only not regret it, but the music will catch you up and take you somewhere to Samarcanda, in orbit to the constellation of Aldebaran, with a stop-over somewhere at Tunez or Turkmenistan, always having the celestial sphere as an aim.

Stay well, much greetings from Berlin:

Alex Anthony

Well said Alex - I agree wholeheartedly, with the possible exception of their first record in the running for best release of the decade. I can't decide which is the better, so I'll just combine them on my ipod playlist into one towering Madeira record that dominates all other playlists that come before it.

Danny Snyder

_

El-Salvaje
It makes me feel I am immortal. Really. Endless freedom.

That is I think the nicest thing I've ever heard said about our music! Incredible. Thank you VERY MUCH, Alex!!

I regret living so far away from you, and not being able to check you guys out live, but at least I can get a glimpse on You Tube.

Well, I feel exactly the same about you and your band!! Damn the distances!!!

And thanks to Danny, too. There are few things more rewarding in life than being appreciated by one's peers. In fact, not just peers - I feel a special connection to the music made by both Alex and Danny, I think we're really spiritual brothers! So, it means a lot coming from you guys. Thank you.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Smile I dont own this album, but I've heard it a bunch of times while crusing in my friends car. And I really like Infidel, The Ceresen, and SOS. Very cool stuff Cool

The Deadbeats

I listened to the first couple of seconds of 'carpe noctem' on Itunes and was sold. Funny how you can 'just tell' sometimes? This is some great music.

Ivan, i've seen you post but never realized you were in this band, I'm glad to be able to thank you personally, its really great stuff

Do you listen to any classical arabic music? Like um kultum, fairouz, etc.?

Ivan, "Undercurrents" has a beautiful melody. If 'beautiful' is too flowery, let's try 'really cool', 'rad' or 'classic'.

Tim O
oestmann guitar

tunes

clips

Thanks, Abraham (it IS Abraham, right?). You'll buy the CD, right?? Smile (BTW, the proper spelling is The Saracen.) And would it be Ben AKA Wooza who played the CD for you in the car?

Bustercat
I listened to the first couple of seconds of 'carpe noctem' on Itunes and was sold. Funny how you can 'just tell' sometimes? This is some great music.
Ivan, i've seen you post but never realized you were in this band, I'm glad to be able to thank you personally, its really great stuff

Thanks very much, Bustercat!! I really appreciate it.

Do you listen to any classical arabic music? Like um kultum, fairouz, etc.?

Not really. I've heard some of that stuff here and there, but I usually just fake it on our recordings. I do listen to some flamenco pretty regularly, and of course that has the northern African influence in it, especially some of it, but I've only got a few CDs of middle-eastern music, none of them very traditional, and I don't listen to them very much. I really should, cause every time I hear that stuff I really like it. Is there something you could recommend?

oestmann
Ivan, "Undercurrents" has a beautiful melody. If 'beautiful' is too flowery, let's try 'really cool', 'rad' or 'classic'.

Very Happy Much better. Actually, "Undercurrents" (as three other songs on this CD and four on our debut) was written by Patrick O'Connor, our rhythm guitarist. And I'll be the first to agree with you! The first time I heard his demo I was blown away. Patrick's an incredibly talented songwriter. What's scary is that he can just sit down and punch out several songs in the row... I think that's how all of his Madeira songs are born. Unbelievable.

Thanks again, all.
Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next