Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
332 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink the ventures--i have a question or two.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Agree well big bottom--you got to be a bass player!---you got to have labels of some sort to try toconvey what your band {or car or pen or moniter, etc.] is about. language, you know. back in the first wave days there was alot of bull in advertising so alot of non-surf bands were labeled as surf. the word surf is short, sounds cool and is easy to remember so i guess it stuck to alot of non-surf material. only in america!! but it sounds like you're canadian--do ya'll have alot of americanisms up there? never mind me, welcome to sg 101 and a "how yall are?" from me. peace dude Exclamation

FRISBIE
... it sounds like you're canadian--do ya'll have alot of americanisms up there?

Quite a few. It may be more like "we might habitually call something by a different name, but we know exactly what you mean". There are probably just as many regional variations of words and phrases from east-to-west within Canada as there are between north and south of the border. A few days in Newfoundland would make that immediately evident.

As far as "Americanisms" go, fr'instance you rarely hear people use the phrase "ice hockey" in conversation (in my area), because "ice hockey" is the default sense of "hockey", as opposed to field hockey and street hockey.
On the other hand, we tend to call those Canadian and American ballgames "football", and the European ballgame "soccer".

"Surf music" is and always was "surf music", as far as I know. The term isn't what I would call an Americanism.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

Hmmm you should hear a californian, a midwesterner, a northeasterner a southerner and a cajun all in the same room......different dialects but we all can generally make ourselves understood. generally Exclamation Thumbs Up peace dude

FRISBIE
Agree well big bottom--you got to be a bass player!---you got to have labels of some sort to try toconvey what your band {or car or pen or moniter, etc.] is about. language, you know. back in the first wave days there was alot of bull in advertising so alot of non-surf bands were labeled as surf. the word surf is short, sounds cool and is easy to remember so i guess it stuck to alot of non-surf material. only in america!! but it sounds like you're canadian--do ya'll have alot of americanisms up there? never mind me, welcome to sg 101 and a "how yall are?" from me. peace dude Exclamation

Thanks for the welcome, Frisbie! Good to be on the (surf)board.

Yep, I'm a bass player and a Canadian (see, labels work :-)). West Coast, just north of Seattle. Believe it or not, we have a "surf culture" of our own, up in these parts although we're more likely to be wearing wet suits, than baggies. Smile Tofino is where the big waves hang out.

We even have a few bands that still play "surf" in this area although gigs are pretty hard to come by for our favourite style of music.

Bass Wabbit
The Fabulous Blue Wabbits
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgQj7B3Vql1vxjYxEM29vmQ

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 17:10:19

zak

BigBottom
We even have a few bands that still play "surf" in this area although gigs are pretty hard to come by for our favourite style of music.

Is Mark Brodie still around?

Sorry, Zak, don't know Mark. What group/label is he with?

Bass Wabbit
The Fabulous Blue Wabbits
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgQj7B3Vql1vxjYxEM29vmQ

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 17:10:13

The Beaver Patrol album was on Shredder (?!), the Metalunas ones were on Wildebeest, American Pop Project and RIP, and The Saboteurs were on American Pop Project.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

planish
As far as "Americanisms" go, fr'instance you rarely hear people use the phrase "ice hockey" in conversation (in my area), because "ice hockey" is the default sense of "hockey", as opposed to field hockey and street hockey.

Sorry for going off-topic, but is there a common 'favorite team' in Sackville or indeed N.B. in general? I realize that location doesn't necessarily determine what team you support--I followed several before Columbus got a team. I'm just curious.

The closest arena to you would probably be the Bell Centre, right? The Habs are my go-to team for the post-season, as Columbus hasn't made the playoffs since, well, EVER.

DD may not call himself "King of rthe Surf Guitar" on site, but did write a song called "King of the Surf Guitar." That is a self acknowlegement. More importantly, be aware that we are discussing labels here, take them with a grain of salt, and consider the sources. The sources are Hollywood (Beach Party movies) and Hollywood (Big Music Industry). Trust either one? They are the only ones that benefit from labels, for purposes of mass marketing. Has anyone added up the total number of top 20 hits, ever, with surf in the lyrics, title, or musical thematic reference to other surf hits? I'll wager less than 50. The Beach Boys had maybe 2 or 3 hit records that were surf, then turned to cars, girls, and high school for themes, after the record executives discovered that 95% of the country did not live next to a beach. The mini-genre of surf transformed as soon as it came into existence in the early 60's, into hot rod, surf, and space music. All three soon ran out of thematic material and became "instrumental". I was there buying these records in the early 60's. Not only was there not enough material to maintain an entire genre called "surf", but there was not enough to fill a top 40 chart with "rock and roll" of any genre. Simultaneously on the top 40 charts with Elvis, Link Wray, and the Ventures, were Al Martino, Frank Sinatra, Al Hirt, Hank Williams, Lawrence Welk, Henry Mancini, etc. Definitely not rock and roll. 33 rpm LP's were $2.98, and the surf music was mostly found in bins labled "instrumental", or "rock and roll". The genre designations are for the people who label and stock the bins, and for record executives, and pretty much useless for everyone in between. I myself do not aspire to the position or mentality of bin-stocker, or record executive. It's instrumental guitar music, covering as many different themes as vocal music. Some of it is surf themed.

I'm pretty sure that DD did not write "king of the surf guitar"
I'll bet money is was written for him, and the record label made him do it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Alonzo Willis wrote "King of the Surf Guitar." "Mr. Peppermint Man," too.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

CaptainSpringfield
Alonzo Willis wrote "King of the Surf Guitar." "Mr. Peppermint Man," too.

-Warren

2 of my least favorite songs by DD,

but lets bring it back to the Ventures.
what songs do we like by them?
and what songs do we hate?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I like Yellow Jacket a lot.

I really like Diamond Head, and Swingin Creeper,

not to found of Perfidia or Lullaby of the leaves.

ducking thrown objects by ventures fans.

Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Love The Cruel Sea, Psychedelic Venture, Escape, Rap City ... ahh man I can't possibly list them all... Way too many...

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

SurfBoy
... after the record executives discovered that 95% of the country did not live next to a beach.

That should not have made a difference, but who can fathom the inner workings of recording company execs? (See: Disco, Rap, most Techno, Billy Ray Cyrus, etc.)

Jon
Sorry for going off-topic, but is there a common 'favorite team' in Sackville or indeed N.B. in general?

Not that I'm aware of. I stay away from discussing religion.

Columbus has a team? I started to lose interest in hockey after the expansion beyond the Original Six teams. When the Mighty Ducks became a "real" team, I gave up altogether. It ain't fittin' for a city to have an NHL team when it doesn't have natural ice for most of the winter.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

i dig "Hawaii Five-0" and those "Play Guitar with the Ventures" LPs...

"Night Stick" and "A Go-Go Dancer" (practically the same song!).
"Ginza Lights"
"Escape"
"Swinging Creeper"

All with that fabulous Mel Taylor swing and awesome Mosrite bass and guitar tones...

timeless perfection...

LOVE GODDESS OF VENUS is such a wonderful tune, and from my favorite LP by the band, IN SPACE

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

I was performing several weeks back with the "wedding band" I play in and we were playing for a "Spring Prom" at a Del Webb retirement community club house. Right out of nowhere some guy walks up to me between songs and asks if we can play "Love Goddess of Venus?" He said it was the first song he and his wife (then first date) had danced to.....Na, we couldn't pull it off as I was the only one in the group who knew it. But it's on our learn list for our return gig there later this summer.

My vote is "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue." But any of those early real Fender Twang tracks they did are good by me. I've had "Shanghied" running through my head lately......just wait 'til the next Surge! practice.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next