Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
173 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
120 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » SurfGuitar101 Website »

Permalink Wiki

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

We have a wiki now, in case we want one. I set one up and kind of played with it for a while. Looks pretty neat.

http://wiki.surfguitar101.com

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Nice Brian!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

This could get nasty... I am going to throw a figurative, although not literal, hissy-fit if any body claims the Showman to be the ultimate surf amp.

Jake,
the showman is the ultimate surf amp, but not all people want the ultimate sound.
so go figure.
Shocked Rolling Eyes Wink

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

GREAT idea!

Though I can't seem to log in...

SSIV

Lets save the bitching until we actually get some content on the Wiki, okay? Rolling Eyes

It isn't turned on for logins yet. I'm still thinking about how to handle that. But, soon. I've asked a few people if they would like to help out. I would really like Moon_Dawg to update his Cowabunga Surf Music FAQ. Right now I'm thinking about getting a small group of people together to help with it. If things don't immediately go to hell then we can open it up for more casual users.

As you can see, I started scratching out a list of bands and their releases. Wow, would that be a project! But it would be something really cool to have. It would be years in the making I think.

And if anyone would like to make a 135x135 pixel logo for it, that would be awesome too. I like LHR's Tiki guy, but I'm already using that on myspace.

Any thoughts on how we should use the wiki? I'd love to hear them.

JakeDobner
This could get nasty... I am going to throw a figurative, although not literal, hissy-fit if any body claims the Showman to be the ultimate surf amp.

the Wiki isn't a place for opinions, just the facts man.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Read it and weep, Jake. I don't think Feist, Viva Voce, or Oasis will be mentioned in the Wiki either.
Laughing

btw Brian, wow! Very nice!

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

wow! nice...this wiki could easily morph into my newest addiction...

Brian
Any thoughts on how we should use the wiki? I'd love to hear them.

Some initial thoughts:

• a chronology of the most significant bands/tracks per year (probably captured from a series of polls)
    • a basic glossary of terms for those interested to find out about the genre.. and a more specialized version for those who are (or want to be) players.. and not only for guitars (remember those Hammonds!)
    • biographies of ourselves (particularly, those who are making a living from playing).. and how the music is accepted.. and how you actually "run a business" from your music
    • mp3 files of standard techniques for further, specialized study (tremolo picking, degrees of 'drip', reverb differences, etc)
      I'm also not sure if some of the content from the main web site actually could be migrated to the wiki; should the "main site" become more of a 'forum-only' place and the wiki becomes the primary location for information?

For me, I see the wiki as more of a repository of information, for how-to do things, something of history, etc... The content would be more-or-less static and the main web site would be used for news and the forum. In fact, information gleaned from the discussion forum would/could end-up as documents in the wiki..

Remember, the idea of the wiki is getting closer to the original idea of the web - about having documents that are developed by many people at once... but the end result is the idea of hypertext and the linking of information and ideas.

I wouldn't really think the wiki should become another 'forum'.

I'm as free from money as a frog is from feathers

So over four years later...

I like playing with software & web applications. I like surf music too. So I am working on bringing the wiki back. I just need to figure out how to make a "single sign on". The wiki is a 3rd party application, and I want everyone who has an account here to be able to automatically login to the wiki if they log into SG101. Once that is sorted I'll turn it on.

So start thinking how we can use the wiki to make the site more useful and informative...and fun!

You may have to do some kind of sync of the accounting info?

I wonder if terms used in threads could automatically link to the wiki and vice-versa.

RK

The wiki is back!

http://wiki.surfguitar101.com/

All SG101 members have edit rights. Hopefully we can crowd source some good info.

If you don't see your name in the upper left, just log out of SG101, then log back in SG101. Then visit the wiki. It should recognize you then. This should be a 1 time only thing.

I haven't done much with it. I started a SG101 FAQ. I also started a band encyclopedia. I created a template page for bands, and then a page for the Nebulas. I didn't have the CD's in front of me, so I am missing some details, dates, and track listings. But hopefully another inspired editor can fill in the holes. That's the beauty of a wiki.

Other things we could add: a list of DVDs, a list of guitar instructional stuff (tab books, DVD's, software). The sky is the limit.

I hope some of you find it fun and useful.

Wow - Nice work, Brian! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I think the guideline to contribute content post-first wave is a good one - keeps from trampling on John Blair's discography work as well as Bob Dally's Surfin' Guitars (can't wait for that updated edition to be available!).

I'd also recommend adding navigation to the wiki in the left side hi-nav bar for the site, perhaps as a sticky announcing it at the top of the general discussion category too.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Yes I will add a link on the sidebar soon.

Hooray we had our first non-Brian edit to the wiki today! Thanks Jonpaul! Here is a quick primer on how to add a band to the band database:

• Edit the Band Database page. Add a link to the new band like this:

/TheNewBand - New Band

• Save the Band Database page

• Now click on the new link for TheNewBand
  • The wiki will ask you if you want to create a new page or use a template. Choose the BandTemplate which will pre-fill out a bunch of stuff for you to change.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012 15:58:02

Jonpaul suggested we create a new badge for wiki editors to encourage participation. That's an excellent idea. If anyone wants to contribute a tiny image for the badge that would rule. Otherwise I will dig through my public domain set of icons for something.

If you've never done a wiki before, there is a bit of a learning curve, but please see the resources on the front page of the wiki. There is help for beginners and a more in-depth WikiCourse which runs through most everything:

http://wiki.surfguitar101.com/WikiCourse

Once you get the hang of it is is a lot of fun.

Hey, I just added the Volcanos because Finish Line Fever was the first CD I came upon when I figured I'd help out a bit.

Thumbs Up

The Volcanos have a ton of singles. There used to be a fan-made website with all that info. I think it is gone now.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next