PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
158 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
120 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
81 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
14 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
14 days ago

sysmalakian: TODAY IS MY BIRTHDAY!
37 minutes ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

61%

61%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Pickups-Lace vs Fender..

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

For vintages tones, will I want Lace Holy Grails for the 54 strat tone or will I want Fender classic 50's? I'm at a standstill here in my selection of my project strat. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some "tone" on this matter for me. SFJ. Rolling Eyes

seafoamjohnny_
For vintages tones, will I want Lace Holy Grails for the 54 strat tone or will I want Fender classic 50's? I'm at a standstill here in my selection of my project strat. Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some "tone" on this matter for me. SFJ. Rolling Eyes

In my opinion, Lace sensors blow!!! Puke That's the sugar-coated version.
The Fender Custom Shop '54 Strat Pickups would be my choice.

Bob

Bob

I don't know if Lace has moved on from their late 80s designs but they are pretty much at fault for some of the worst guitar tones of all-time.

Now... if Lace is producing nice "real" pickups then it might be worth considering.

The Fender "custom shop" series pickups are nice. No experience with their strat pickups though.

I suggest getting an outside builder to custom build pickups to your specs... or to whatever prebuilt ones they have. Fralin and Novak are the first two that come to mind.

+1 on RobbieReverb's post. Lace Sensors are pure crap. CS54 would be a good choice.

www.apollo4.com

JakeDobner
I don't know if Lace has moved on from their late 80s designs but they are pretty much at fault for some of the worst guitar tones of all-time.

Jake, I played a Strat with eighties Lace Sensors (my fiesta red Strat Plus) on most of the first Space Cossacks album. Do you think those are some of the worst guitar tones of all time? Granted, soon after I switched out the pickups and eventually switched to using US-made '62 reissues guitars, and would agree that the pickups I've used since are better than the Lace Sensors, and I don't much care for my sound on that first Cossacks CD, but I think you're still engaging in more than a bit of hyperbole. (Maybe people around here would be kinder to you and Josh - the 'young ones', as you recently complained - if you were a bit more measured in your statements - how much experience do you actually have with Lace Sensors, I wonder, that would allow you to make a categorical statement like the one above?)

I've noticed that Lace Sensors have evolved over the years and they might be much better today. But I haven't used them the newer ones.

I have Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups in my main Strat - really good pickups, very expensive. I have Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro APS-2 pickups in another Strat - much cheaper, also sound really great. I have Fender original '57/'62 pickups in my '87 '62 reissue Strat, and those pickups sound great, too. I used Fender Texas Specials for a while, too, but ultimately decided I didn't like their sound as much as the sound of any of the above pickups. Didn't quite have enough sparkle on the high end, they seemed a bit too compressed or mid-heavy or something. But the difference was not great. I recorded half of Tsar Wars using those pickups.

That's my experience with pickups. Good luck!
Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

...edit (see later post below)...

In regards to Ivan's comment and the Space Cossacks 1st cd tone...I am of the opposite opinion...I kind of think Ivan's tone is superb on that disc...

Last edited: Feb 02, 2008 12:22:25

IvanP
Maybe people around here would be kinder to you and Josh - the 'young ones', as you recently complained - if you were a bit more measured in your statements

not to hijack this thread, but am i somehow un-measured with my statements? i just think the whole tone vs. sound thing was a misunderstanding with the terms...

IvanP
I have Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer pickups in my main Strat - really good pickups, very expensive. I have Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro APS-2 pickups in another Strat - much cheaper, also sound really great. I have Fender original '57/'62 pickups in my '87 '62 reissue Strat, and those pickups sound great, too. I used Fender Texas Specials for a while, too, but ultimately decided I didn't like their sound as much as the sound of any of the above pickups. Didn't quite have enough sparkle on the high end, they seemed a bit too compressed or mid-heavy or something. But the difference was not great. I recorded half of Tsar Wars using those pickups.

That's my experience with pickups. Good luck!
Ivan

with my input...i was going to get the SD surfers for my strat, but didn't have enough money at the time, so i went with the MUCH cheaper AVRI '57-'62 pups to replace Fender Texas Specials. the AVRI pickups sound great in my srat, and wouldn't dream of changing them, honestly. i have no experience with Lace but i must say that i have not heard very many good things about them...

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

JoshHeartless
not to hijack this thread, but am i somehow un-measured with my statements? i just think the whole tone vs. sound thing was a misunderstanding with the terms...

You probably should have been prepared for some backlash when you claimed that DD's tone wasn't unique (????) and how you could "nail it easily". When pressed on that statement you retreat into a sound vs tone argument and refuse to offer proof that you can nail said tone "easily".

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian

JoshHeartless

You probably should have been prepared for some backlash when you claimed that DD's tone wasn't unique (????) and how you could "nail it easily". When pressed on that statement you retreat into a sound vs tone argument and refuse to offer proof that you can nail said tone "easily".

well to hijack the thread even further:

i love DD's tone to death, but to me it just isn't a whole lot different than a standard surf sound, that is all i meant. i don't think i need to prove that i can get the tone easily. to my ears i can get it damn near identical, and i don't need someone else's opinion on that. the only thing i think i'm really lacking is the power/overdrive-and i refuse to push my amp that hard anymore, i already a cap on the first channel by doing that...she's old and is probably due for a re-capping soon...i didn't retreat my statement, i just didn't find the point in humoring anyone with proof, you can either believe me or not, quite honestly i don't care.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

So, anyway, here's a cool site about Lace Sensors...in fact, all the Lace products are here:
http://www.lacemusic.com/

Like Ivan, my Strat Plus from the early 90's came with the Lace Sensor Golds in it. I was never really happy with the tone I got out of them, there always seemed to be something missing. They have since been replaced with Seymour Duncan Lipsticks, and I am much happier with my sound.

I realize only some of the tone comes from the pick ups, and that most comes from the player (as Ivan proved on the 1st Space Cossacks album), plus the amp.

Our first 2 CDs (Get Instro-MeNTAL! & Surf vs the Flying Saucers) feature the lace sensors, though many of the tunes on the second CD aren't played on the strat (dano, eko, tele). I did a lot more work on getting the lace sensors to sound better, but in the end I'm glad I switched them out.

I think you'll be happier with not choosing the lace sensors IMHO

Rev

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

My familiarity with Lace Sensors is Clapton from the 80s. I like clapton but my god do I hate his 80s tone. Knopfler used them in his Pensas which I didn't care much for. I think they use the blues. I don't think I own any albums Knopfler played the Pensas on, I've seen him play them live a lot.

Obviously I think The Space Cossacks tone is the Alpha and Omega for all guitar tones ever.

But my god do I hate Clapton's tone from that era. I really like his playing on those albums but the tone just wasn't the same.

I wasn't making the young one's comment about myself, just Josh. Josh is very reserved and respectful. Me, I've been hopped up on steroids(medical) for months and I'm hyper and aggressive as a result, and I am quite the exaggerator and I liked, and still like to push my opinions into greater discussion. Essentially, you nailed it about being reserved.

JakeDobner
My familiarity with Lace Sensors is Clapton from the 80s. I like clapton but my god do I hate his 80s tone.

Jake, I think that Clapton's '80s tone was much more the result of the Bradshaw rig full of digital effects and Soldano amps he was using back then. I doubt that the Lace Sensors played that much of a role in that overall stew.

Knopfler used them in his Pensas which I didn't care much for. I think they use the blues. I don't think I own any albums Knopfler played the Pensas on, I've seen him play them live a lot.

I don't think it was Lace Sensors in those Pensa guitars (I remember he had at least two) - maybe EMGs. They didn't have visible polepieces, but that doesn't immediately make them Lace Sensors. I think the odds are much better they were EMGs.

Obviously I think The Space Cossacks tone is the Alpha and Omega for all guitar tones ever.

Why, thank you. And to RevHank, too. For what it's worth, I think my guitar sound has improved on each subsequent album I've done, but I can see how some would prefer the earlier stuff.

I wasn't making the young one's comment about myself, just Josh. Josh is very reserved and respectful.

Respectful, yes - but reserved? Smile He's a strongly opinionated young man - though, is there any other kind? Laughing Josh has no reservations with telling us exactly what he thinks.

Me, I've been hopped up on steroids(medical) for months and I'm hyper and aggressive as a result, and I am quite the exaggerator and I liked, and still like to push my opinions into greater discussion.

You don't say. Shocking stuff. Well, at least you recognize when you're being a you-know-what. That's half the battle! We trust that in due time you'll win the other half. Wink We're pulling for you!

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Ha! Thanks Ivan. I hope I win the other half someday as well. I think not being in college will help that. I graduate in 5 weeks. In the history department they train us to challenge the sources we read.

I knew Clapton was doing the Soldano thing, but I didn't know about the digital effects. I thought the digitalness(nice word...?) was a result of the lace sensors.

As for Knopfler, I saw no polepieces and assumed Lace.

As for your tone, I think you Tsar Wars tone is the most original. On the Madeira I hear Dick Dale and the Atlantics. And Tsar Wars is THE album for me. I prefer Sandstorm to Interstellar, but Tsar Wars to me is an experience. It is almost visual when I listen to it.

Oh! Not that you are ripping off DD or the Atlantics. I think I'm just more into the modern surf tones while Madeira is more like what Jim Messina would have made if he were more mature musically.

I think that Clapton's poor tone could be mostly blamed on that boost circuit in the Clapton Strats...if you ever get the opportunity to try one out firsthand you should (just to see how bad it really is Wink ). Also as said, the racks and Soldano probably didn't help either. The least significant contributor would probably be the Lace Sensors in my opinion.

This thread brings up an interesting point; if you're a great player using adequate gear you can get a fantastic tone/sound...regardless of what gear you're using!

Still, the subject of the post was "_For vintages tones, will I want Lace Holy Grails_" and I'd stand by my opinion that in the context of pure "vintage tones" Lace Sensors are (*** enter politically correct fluffy word equaling crap, blows, or worst tone ever here). They seem to interact different with the amp than a true vintage pickup would and just don't have the same EQ that you'd get out of a vintage style Strat pickup (some frequencies 'pop' more while some sound more 'dead' and 'flat').

Realistically you could buy ANY Strat type pickup and it would sound just fine in the right guitar through the right amp...GFS, Dimarzio, Fender, Fralin, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, Lace, Kiniman, Seymour Duncan, etc...they're all 'good' it's just some are more accurate to the vintage tone than others.
Out of the list in the last sentence I'd probably rank the Laces at the bottom (even lower than the GFS cheapies) when it comes to reproducing the sound of a vintage Strat pickup.

For what it's worth, one of my favorites is the Fender CS69...and I don't know if I'd pick it as an accurate 50's sound pickup (since it's more true to the 60's spec) but it's WAAAAAAAAY closer than the Lace Sensors.

For help selecting pickups you might want to check this out...
Here's a link to the Acmeguitarworks sound clip page (it's also not a bad place to buy pickups from):
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Strat_Pickup_Sound_Clips_W1.cfm

www.apollo4.com

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008 21:51:36

IvanP

JakeDobner
Knopfler used them in his Pensas which I didn't care much for. I think they use the blues. I don't think I own any albums Knopfler played the Pensas on, I've seen him play them live a lot.

I don't think it was Lace Sensors in those Pensa guitars (I remember he had at least two) - maybe EMGs. They didn't have visible polepieces, but that doesn't immediately make them Lace Sensors. I think the odds are much better they were EMGs.

Ivan is right, the Pensa-Suhrs did have EMGs and there were at least two, the flame maple one and the black one. Or so says my ultra-geeky two-volume set of Mark Knopfler tab books. Embarassed

JakeDobner
As for your tone, I think you Tsar Wars tone is the most original. On the Madeira I hear Dick Dale and the Atlantics. And Tsar Wars is THE album for me. I prefer Sandstorm to Interstellar, but Tsar Wars to me is an experience. It is almost visual when I listen to it.
Oh! Not that you are ripping off DD or the Atlantics. I think I'm just more into the modern surf tones while Madeira is more like what Jim Messina would have made if he were more mature musically.

Thanks, Jake, I understand what you mean. But what do you think of as "the modern surf tones" and how are they different from the vintage tones? For me, since I started playing surf music I've tried to sound more vintage - when I didn't sound vintage, I fell short of the goal. I think I've been getting closer each time out.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Has anyone here had the occasion to try out those alumitone pickups Lace is selling?

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

DaneBrammage_
Ivan is right

I never tire of hearing that.
Very Happy
Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook