Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
331 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
259 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
259 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
179 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
157 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
126 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
119 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
80 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
13 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
13 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Music Man amps

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

HI,I just found this place about a month ago and this is my first post!I'm just getting into surf guitar after playing bass in radio rock for,well,WAYYY to many years.I'm trying to get a rig together and I keep on seeing the 70's musicman amps going for some pretty do-able $$$.What do you guys think of them?Also is there any surf music scene to speak of in the Atlanta area? I live about 30 mi. south.

Thanks-JB

seaboy
HI,I just found this place about a month ago and this is my first post!I'm just getting into surf guitar after playing bass in radio rock for,well,WAYYY to many years.I'm trying to get a rig together and I keep on seeing the 70's musicman amps going for some pretty do-able $$$.What do you guys think of them?Also is there any surf music scene to speak of in the Atlanta area? I live about 30 mi. south.

Thanks-JB

I owned one years ago, traded it in on a 50W Marshall head, and never regretted it in the least (still have the 50W)

Don't get me wrong, they're an OK amp but they're very clean (might be good for surf) and when cranked the distortion leaves much to be desired.
They (or at least most of them) have a solid state preamp with clipping diodes for overdrive so they lack the sweet tone and dynamics of an all tube amp. They sound kind of compressed and brittle too as I remember.

I know country guys seem to like them...and they're built like a tank.

www.apollo4.com

For surf music,don't even think about it! Evil
They're crap!
Save your money and buy something else......

Every word is like an unecessary stain on silence and nothingness.

Thanks, I'll stay away from them! However I just can't afford vintage fender.What would you suggest for a 40 yr. old guy who is on a "two teenage daughters budgett"?

Thanks  JB

For guitar, and depending on your needs volume-wise, and considering that you are on the "family" budget (I've been there as well Confused ) either a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb are top notch surf amps. Clean ones can be found on eBay in the $500-750 range.

And yes, there is an active surf scene in Atlanta...The Surge, The Penetrators, Stratogeezer, Acoustasonics, The Broken Spokes, El Capitan and possibly another local surf band or two that have slipped my mind. The problem is that at the present time it is difficult to book instrumental gigs in the few remaining local venues that used to be very surf-friendly in the 90's and early 2000's, so the live surf shows aren't as frequent as they once were. But there is an annual all-day surf festival in Clarkston in the Summer which is a ton of fun.

Also check out the "Longboards and Longhorns" radio show on WREK-FM 91.1 on Tuesday nights at 9 PM. Lots of great surf music on there, interspersed with some interesting and sometimes obscure vintage country music.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Maybe a Hot Rod would work for you, they're tube amps, they're in the $600-$800 range and I've heard them and they're really good for surf.

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

I'm a big fan of the Twin Reverb, and I agree that would be a great amp to get for surf music.

However, the best thing to do when shopping for an amp is to just be patient. Get a list of a couple different amps you are interested in, and watch eBay until you find a good deal. As long as you keep your eyes open, you'll definitely find a good amp within your budget.

By the way, how much money do you think you'll have to spend on an amp?

"Hope is a waking dream." - Aristotle

spy
For surf music,don't even think about it! Evil
They're crap!
Save your money and buy something else......

That's sort of what I was trying to say...just in a more laid back less direct sort of a way Smile

WoodyJ
For guitar, and depending on your needs volume-wise, and considering that you are on the "family" budget (I've been there as well Confused ) either a reissue Fender Deluxe Reverb or Twin Reverb are top notch surf amps. Clean ones can be found on eBay in the $500-750 range.

I've got a Deluxe Reverb but my concern with it is that in a band situation it might not have enough clean headroom/volume.

How about the Super Reverb? I've heard good and bad opinions about it for surf music. It seems to be despised by some almost as much as the Stratocaster is for surf but some guys use them, right?...

www.apollo4.com

Try the Peavey Valveking. Its an all-valve 100w combo that is cheap as chips yet has a great Twin Reverb sound. I've owned several Twins and my Valveking is better than all but one (The 130watt 2x JBL model). I think it makes a fantastic surf amp: ridiculously loud and very clean and warm. The speakers are voiced like JBLs.

I know Peavey are not generally venerated in the US .. but give one a try with an open mind...

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

They're getting higher in price, but if you can put together $750 to $1000, you should be able to find yourself an early SF Vibrolux, Pro Reverb or Twin. Better than the re-issues, at not much more cost, so that'd be my recommendation. You might save $200 with another amp, but you'll get way more amp for your money going with the SF.

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/rockinrio.delrosa

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/TheHighTides

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=lf#!/pages/The-Blue-Demons

SURFmole
How about the Super Reverb? I've heard good and bad opinions about it for surf music. It seems to be despised by some almost as much as the Stratocaster is for surf but some guys use them, right?...

Yeah, plenty of folks use SRs. Dave Wronski for one. I used a '69 Super for a few years. I really liked mine at first, but it was very unreliable in comparison to other 'vintage' amps I've owned so I ditched it for my Dual Showman.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

JB, all the amps that are suggested are far more better than Musicman. And are at the same price....
I think 70's Musicman are at the $600-800 range.Am I right?

I probably wouldn't steer anybody toward a Musicman amp either. There are a lot of other choices.

But, I know Gill Orr of the Duo-Tones uses one (among other things) and he always sounds good.

specifically, what musicman amp are we talking about? i've heard the HD130 is the same circuit as a bassman only with more wattage, different power tubes, and a solid-state preamp... Leo originally wanted his Fender amps to be used with EL34's, so if anything, it is closer to his original vision than vintage Fender amps themselves. also, EL34's aren't good for the Musicman amps, i heard they cannot handle enough voltage; go with a big-bottle 6CA7 for the best sound out of them-they are higher wattage than a regular EL34.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Only reason I was cosidering the MM was that I found a couple in the 500$ range which would leave enough extra cash to get a real outboard tank,which is what really defines the sound right?I had even thought of getting the tank first,and trying it through my son's solid state fender 212 and see how that sounds.Anyone ever run an outboard with a ss?

JB

afaik musicman made amps with tube preamp and ss poweramp, as well as amps with a ss preamp and a tube poweramp as well as all-tube amps. see this chart

Ive heard a few, some lacked the typical tube warmth but had a killer clean slap-in-the-face sound, other did sound very warm. they're used quite a bit in jazz too. of course evryone you hear will use his amp the way it sounds best, so I may not have heard the bad overdriven tones and whatever, but I never heard a bad sounding musicman.
whether they give the sound you want is a whole other question, and completely depends on which model you'll want (and I wouldnt be able to advise anyway)

anyway, moral of the story: saying musicmans at large "are not good for surf" is just as pointless as saying "Fender amps are" (which as we all know is untrue for over half of what Fender puts on the market these days. Musicmans have a reputation of being very solid roadworthy amps though.

that said, if they are in the 700 range, a silverface fender combo is a better bang for the buck imo.

my 2 cts worth.

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

If your son has allready an amp, buy the tank and then save money for a great amp......

No, not only the outboard tank defines the surfy sound! You will be amazed with the sound of a great amp.
But until then you can practice to your son's amp with plenty of reverb!

JoshHeartless
EL34's aren't good for the Musicman amps, i heard they cannot handle enough voltage; go with a big-bottle 6CA7 for the best sound out of them-they are higher wattage than a regular EL34.

Yeah, the musicman hd-130 was not designed with the EL34 in mind, it was designed with the Sylvania 6CA7 (yes, 6CA7's are different tubes), so most people stick any crappy EL34 in it and expect it to work the same. It is meant to be an extremely clean amp, with a ridiculously high plate voltage that cooks lesser tubes, it isn't really meant to be a marshall amp with a great overdrive.
For bass though, an extremely clean amp is the ticket, and this is a great place to start.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

ShaunNecro
For bass though, an extremely clean amp is the ticket, and this is a great place to start.

A bass player from my old Shadows tribute band (the Troubadours) used one of these for bass, and it sounded really great, very vintage and warm but with sufficient clarity.

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

IvanP

ShaunNecro

A bass player from my old Shadows tribute band (the Troubadours) used one of these for bass, and it sounded really great, very vintage and warm but with sufficient clarity.

Ivan

Did it have enough power to keep up? Thats my only worry about this amp. I would be using it with a 2X15 cab with high sensitivity speakers

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

Goto Page: 1 2 Next