Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
330 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
258 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
258 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
178 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
156 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
125 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
118 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
79 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
12 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
12 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink POLL: how to mod a strat

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 16:01:54

Wow Zak! Cool pic w/Hubert.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Cool shit Zack, you get around, Hubert must have been something in his younger days, I imagine a bit like Buddy Guy, a showman.

bomboraboy
BTW to all strat players:

which Pickup combination do you play mostly?

For my Strat played clean through a a HRD212 mostly neutral settings it goes like this -

5 way switch -
Bridge - Lead work
Phase 1-2 - Surf sound
Middle - Bluesy stuff
Phase 2-3 - Rhythm
Neck - Mellow baby

"What's a Strat? Buy a Jag/JM." That's really cute.

Just to be sure, the Strat is THEE guitar for surf music, the one that played the major role with pretty much all the important artists and classic hits. Here's the list of sixties surf guitarists that played Strats:

Dick Dale
Eddie Bertrand (during the Belairs era and the later part of Eddie & the Showmen)
Paul Johnson (rhythm guitar, the Belairs)
Bob Spickard & Brian Carmen (lead & rhtyhm, the Chantays)
Jim Fuller (lead guitar, the Surfaris)
Skip Mercier & Willy Glover (lead & rhythm, the Pyramids)
Jim Messina (lead guitar, the Jesters)
Al Nichol (lead guitar, the Crossfires)
Bobby Fuller (lead guitar, the Bobby Fuller Four)
Larry Weed (lead guitar, the Original Surfaris - though he's also seen with a JM)
Jim Skiathitis & Theo Penglis (both lead guitar, the Atlantics)

Let's see the Jag/JM enthusiasts put together a list that contains even half as many significant and genre-defining sixties guitarists and groups that used the offsets. Yes, it's a challenge.

It's just funny to me how we're seeing this revisionism today just because a Strat ended up being used for many non-surf genres and is associated with other guitarists today. You can't change history, folks. The Strat is IT when it comes to surf. (BTW, I'm NOT saying everybody should use a Strat - use whatever you want, I really don't care. Just want to make sure that the Strat gets the respect it deserves.)

To answer the pickup question: I think most sixties surf guitarists used either the neck or middle pickup. I don't hear the bridge pickup being used much. DD was almost always parked on the neck pickup, and occasionally he'd use the neck/middle 'in-between' setting. On a 3-way switch you can get that setting by carefully lodging it between the two settings. Depending on how the switch is, it might be pretty easy to lodge it in there, or not. I'm sure he didn't use a match, as that would prevent him from using the neck pickup. Two out of my three Strats have 3-way switches, and on one it's very easy to get the inbetween settings, on the other not so much, but it can still be done. I can't do it 'on-the'-fly' on either guitar - it takes a few seconds of careful manipulation to get it in there.

I used mostly the bridge pickup in the Space Cossacks (mostly due to the Shadows influence, though through the years I've come to realize that Hank switched pickups quite a bit, sometimes in the same song). In the Madeira, I moved mostly to the middle pickup, with some neck and bridge. More recently the neck pickup has been winning, both for mellower and aggressive songs. It's a fat sound, and Fender amps usually have plenty of treble even with the neck pickup. But I still use the middle pickup a fair amount. I find myself not using the bridge pickup very much at all anymore.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your Strat, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Strats rule!!!

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Mac the lead guitarist from Outerwave has done a mod to his Strat that allows him to play through the front & rear pickups at the same time. Those that have heard them play know how good it sounds.

IvanP
"What's a Strat? Buy a Jag/JM." That's really cute.

Just to be sure, the Strat is THEE guitar for surf music, the one that played the major role with pretty much all the important artists and classic hits. Here's the list of sixties surf guitarists that played Strats:

Dick Dale
Eddie Bertrand (during the Belairs era and the later part of Eddie & the Showmen)
Paul Johnson (rhythm guitar, the Belairs)
Bob Spickard & Brian Carmen (lead & rhtyhm, the Chantays)
Jim Fuller (lead guitar, the Surfaris)
Skip Mercier & Willy Glover (lead & rhythm, the Pyramids)
Jim Messina (lead guitar, the Jesters)
Al Nichol (lead guitar, the Crossfires)
Bobby Fuller (lead guitar, the Bobby Fuller Four)
Larry Weed (lead guitar, the Original Surfaris - though he's also seen with a JM)
Jim Skiathitis & Theo Penglis (both lead guitar, the Atlantics)

Let's see the Jag/JM enthusiasts put together a list that contains even half as many significant and genre-defining sixties guitarists and groups that used the offsets. Yes, it's a challenge.

It's just funny to me how we're seeing this revisionism today just because a Strat ended up being used for many non-surf genres and is associated with other guitarists today. You can't change history, folks. The Strat is IT when it comes to surf. (BTW, I'm NOT saying everybody should use a Strat - use whatever you want, I really don't care. Just want to make sure that the Strat gets the respect it deserves.)

To answer the pickup question: I think most sixties surf guitarists used either the neck or middle pickup. I don't hear the bridge pickup being used much. DD was almost always parked on the neck pickup, and occasionally he'd use the neck/middle 'in-between' setting. On a 3-way switch you can get that setting by carefully lodging it between the two settings. Depending on how the switch is, it might be pretty easy to lodge it in there, or not. I'm sure he didn't use a match, as that would prevent him from using the neck pickup. Two out of my three Strats have 3-way switches, and on one it's very easy to get the inbetween settings, on the other not so much, but it can still be done. I can't do it 'on-the'-fly' on either guitar - it takes a few seconds of careful manipulation to get it in there.

I used mostly the bridge pickup in the Space Cossacks (mostly due to the Shadows influence, though through the years I've come to realize that Hank switched pickups quite a bit, sometimes in the same song). In the Madeira, I moved mostly to the middle pickup, with some neck and bridge. More recently the neck pickup has been winning, both for mellower and aggressive songs. It's a fat sound, and Fender amps usually have plenty of treble even with the neck pickup. But I still use the middle pickup a fair amount. I find myself not using the bridge pickup very much at all anymore.

Hope that helps! Good luck with your Strat, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Strats rule!!!

Ivan

Randy Holden - Jaguar
Eddie Bertrand - Jaguar
Tony Andresen - Jaguar

That's the holy trinity right there Ivan. A glance through Dalley's book and you see just as many Jaguars as Strats.

But seriously, the best way to mod a Strat? Trade it in for a Telecaster. Very Happy

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 16:11:13

Randy Holden (Fender IV) - Jaguar
Michael Lloyd (New Dimensions) - Jaguar
Jim Masoner (Lively Ones) - Jaguar
Rich Fifield (Astronauts) - Jazzmaster
Tony Andreason (Trashmen) - Jaguar
Dave Myers (Surftones) - Jaguar (sometimes)
Eddie Bertrand - Jaguar (sometimes)
Larry Weed (Original Surfaris) - Jazzmaster (sometimes)
whatever the guy in the Avengers VI was called - Jaguar

Add:
David Marks
Allesandro (Good Bad & Ugly was a Jazzmaster)
Carl Wilson
The Trashmen
The Ventures
Johnny Fortune

No doubt more people use Strats in general, which is precisely why I bought a Jaguar in back in 1988 when I didn't even know there were any surf bands on the planet. EVERYBODY played Strats, talk about conformity. Jaguars certainly seen to be a favorite among current surf bands . I haven't had a Strat since 1974 and that one could get front and back pickups or all 3 at once due to 2 mini toggle switches.

I put back on the three way, and changed out the samarian colbalt crap with the S1 system, but all that stuff was not original to a 62... I think the strat is a strat, and if I want another tone that the strat won't give me, I will pick up a different guitar. Mods will loose the tones I love about a stock strat. Even the cheap pickups on a mexi strat can sound pretty good but those s1 pickups were just wrong, cant put a finger on it, but they just didn't seem to be as dynamic as a good old set of seymour duncan vintage staggerd...

THe NEpTuNeS

BillAqua
Randy Holden - Jaguar
Eddie Bertrand - Jaguar
Tony Andresen - Jaguar
That's the holy trinity right there Ivan. A glance through Dalley's book and you see just as many Jaguars as Strats.

zak
Just off the top of my head...

Randy Holden (Fender IV) - Jaguar
Michael Lloyd (New Dimensions) - Jaguar
Jim Masoner (Lively Ones) - Jaguar
Rich Fifield (Astronauts) - Jazzmaster
Tony Andreason (Trashmen) - Jaguar
Dave Myers (Surftones) - Jaguar (sometimes)
Eddie Bertrand - Jaguar (sometimes)
Larry Weed (Original Surfaris) - Jazzmaster (sometimes)
whatever the guy in the Avengers VI was called - Jaguar

Ah, I was waiting for Bill and Zak to pipe up with the above list! - but really, c'mon. You're seriously comparing the IMPACT and influence of the New Dimensions or the Trashmen to DD, the Belairs, the Chantays, the Pyramids???? No way. You guys PERSONALLY may have been very influenced by those tones (Bill, I doubt that's the holy trinity for most surf guitarists, certainly not Tony Andresen - over DD, Messina, Nichol or Fuller??), but it's rewriting history to say that sixties surf music was defined more by the acts you guys bring up than the ones I listed. No way. (How many instrumentals did the Trashmen release in the sixties - half a dozen? The Fender IV - three? Dave Myers had only at most half a dozen surf instrumentals, and only one with a really good tone - Gear. The Avengers VI??? They mostly missed the peak of surf music. C'mon...)

Anyway, I really don't mean to put down the Jag and the JM, and don't want this to turn into some sort of a competition between the Strat and the offsets. They're great guitars, I love my JM. And they get a great surf sound. I'm just objecting to so many people ripping on Strats and not giving them their due as the most defining guitar of sixties surf music. I'm sorry some people can't sound very good on a Strat - but I'd say the fault lies with the player, NOT the guitar! Wink

zak

IvanP
DD was almost always parked on the neck pickup, and occasionally he'd use the neck/middle 'in-between' setting.

Ivan, are you sure about that?
In almost every photo I've seen of Dick Dale, both old and recent, his pickup switch seems to be in the "bridge" position? Or is his switch wired "backwards" so that the "back" position activates the neck pickup?

Hmm, yeah, good photos. Most of the photos in McParland's book on DD, especially the early ones, show the switch in the neck position, but he obviously mixed it up. I'm just judging based on the sound of the recordings that it was mostly neck, but obviously I'm just speculating.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 16:11:08

IvanP
but I'd say the fault lies with the player, NOT the guitar! Wink

Agree
That's it in a nutshell. Its the hands of the player that makes the tone. The strat is a phenomenal guitar, especially in the right hands. The offsets get a fantastic surf tone as well. I personally favor a JM these days. We could list a ton of more modern players that play each type as well. In the end, both get very different, but equally great surf tone.

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009 23:11:35

I use two non-stock wiring setups for my Strats, both of which give me the middle-Tele/Jag tone:

1) I use a master volume and master tone control and replace the last control with a blender pot. The blender pot is set up to blend the neck or bridge PUs relative to one another. So, if you're in the bridge position, you can blend in the neck until both are full on...just like a Tele or Jag...or vice cersa if you are in the neck position. You can also get all three PUs on at one time. It's a great mod and is described on Lindy Fralin's site.

2) This is my favorite...I use a 4-way Tele switch and a blender pot. The guitar is basically wired like a Tele with a 4-way switch. In any position, I can blend in the middle PU. This gives me all the basic Tele tones plus all the Strat quacky tones, as well as all PUs at once and the fat neck+bridge in series which gives you sort of a warm but clean humbucker style tone. The only tone I loose is the middle PU by itself.

Bless Ivan for his heroic defense of the Fender Stratocaster. Can I get an amen?
I'm a big fan of strats myself. I find that a lot of my most favorite bands (current and old) play strats. I guess that's just the sound my ear tends to favor. My one guitar is a strat, which is all stock except for fatter strings (.13's). When I play lead I pretty much exclusively have it set to the neck position, which sound nice and beefy. Twisted Evil Rhythm switches between the middle and bridge pickups. I really can't go for either of the "in-betweens," they just sound goofy when I play them. Like Ivan said: fault of the player.

IvanP
DD was almost always parked on the neck pickup, and occasionally he'd use the neck/middle 'in-between' setting.

Ivan, are you sure about that?
In almost every photo I've seen of Dick Dale, both old and recent, his pickup switch seems to be in the "bridge" position? Or is his switch wired "backwards" so that the "back" position activates the neck pickup?

My guess is that since he learned to play an upside down righty guitar, that he just got used to the switch being like that, so he kept it that way.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

IvanP
[ (How many instrumentals did the Trashmen release in the sixties - half a dozen? The Fender IV - three? Dave Myers had only at most half a dozen surf instrumentals, and only one with a really good tone - Gear. The Avengers VI??? They mostly missed the peak of surf music. C'mon...)

What about the Astronauts?? The Astronaut putt putt chunk rhythm would not be the same if it was played on Stratocaster.

Haha! we could take this to even further depths of disagreement. Evil

Why does a surf song have to be an instrumental? Wink
Aside from Dick Dale, Tony Andresen has to be the most well known "surf" guitarist of the 60s, or atleast his group is to the common surf-no-nothing walking the streets.

If you consider Tony's impact that way we can't leave off Carl Wilson who played in the most influencial "surf" band of all time who's main axe during those days was not a Stratocaster, but the Jaguar.

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

BillAqua
If you consider Tony's impact that way we can't leave off Carl Wilson who played in the most influencial "surf" band of all time who's main axe during those days was not a Stratocaster, but the Jaguar.

honestly, carl was one of the main reasons i got a jag, along with the later lively ones stuff. the bridge/neck together on a strat do sound very similar, but i would consider the jag to be a bit more 'twangy' and a lot more growly...in a good way.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

IvanP
I'm just judging based on the sound of the recordings that it was mostly neck, but obviously I'm just speculating.

Ivan

it is my personal speculation that since dick dale's tone is so thick anyways, that it is often thought that he uses the neck. i say it sounds like the bridge pup to me...

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

Bill, we could split hairs for days. I will say again what I said in my previous posts, I absolutely did not mean to imply that Jags were not important to surf music - that would simply be crazy. I'm just trying to reassert the proper place of the Stratocaster in the history of surf music, in light of some people trying to eject it and claim it's not as much of a surf guitar as the offsets. I believe that the Strat was played by players that were ultimately more influential than the Jag players (with a few exceptions), but there is no objective way to measure that. Nevertheless, I think it IS objectively possible for all surf music fans to agree that the Strat played a crucial role in the development of surf music, and sounded great doing it. So, let's ease up on the hate, OK? Wink

I'll be away for the next four days and will at best have sporadic access to the internet during that time. So, do not construe my silence as surrender, in case this keeps dragging on!

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007 14:12:05

Here's one on this forum http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1536&highlight=

But I've taken down the sound clips for it.

Last edited: May 20, 2010 14:12:26

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next